Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:00 pm

Mine is obviously straightforward.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 6:35 pm

A character from a 70s or 80s TV show. Not that I ever watched it, it's just that I knew someone who was nicknamed Joe90 and decided to just use it as a username here.

Shame I've been insulted here a few times because my username sounds like I'm a guy. I don't know why they got so wound up about it for, especially in this day and age where gender is becoming politically incorrect anyway.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:39 pm

Redd Kross are a band I like.

The twist on Red Cross seemed appropriate for WP, too.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:52 pm

Udinaas is a character from The Malazan Book of the Fallen that I find relatable.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:17 am

my real name shortened and my birth year

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:04 am

Mine is a name created by a buddy of mine in summer camp when I was 9 years old.

He wanted to instill confidence in me---so he said that I was "crafty," meaning "smart, clever." Kortie is a shortening of my last name. I put "Krafty Kortie" at the back of my tee-shirt for a softball tournament. Even at age 9, I had a sense of alliteration LOL

Kraftiekortie looks better than Kraftykortie in print, so I picked that.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Apr 2021, 8:37 am

Redd_Kross wrote:

I kept wondering if that was where your name came from.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:38 am

Do you wear your clothes backwards like Kriss Kross?

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2021, 5:25 pm

I didn't really like my previous username, it was just something random, so I was thinking how I could make it better, and I am now satisfied with what I got. It's adequately absurd, and it references two creatures I can relate to.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 8:33 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:

I kept wondering if that was where your name came from.

They're one of a number of bands from that era that I really loved. "Phaseshifter" in particular was a really good album.

I thought Redd Kross was the most appropriate name to adopt for WP, as they've always had a stubborn, self-depreciating independent streak, while at the same time clearly greatly enjoying what they do. And also they've been very loyal in supporting and promoting other artists they love, particularly when those people weren't necessarily mainstream or trendy either. They have vaguely Aspie tendencies, I feel.

I just love the idea of a punk band realising the best way to be subversive is to subvert punk itself, by playing 60s psychedelic pop in flower power shirts and smiling. They went so far out of their way to be uncool that they went full circle and actually became cool again on their own terms. That's pretty inspired. And THEN they made an angsty grunge album to slot perfectly into the biggest musical trend of the time, because that's exactly the sort of cash-in / sell out nobody expected. Excellent.

Also being asked to tour with Guns 'n' Roses and saying to Axl Rose "Ok, but we won't be going on first" strikes me as not only incredibly funny but also possibly indicative of PDA. :D

Finally managed to see them a couple of years ago with the Melvins, which was an opportunity I never expected to get. All because I got chatting to a guy in a remote Scottish pub because he walked past wearing a Redd Kross t-shirt, and he told me they were on tour. There's a new album out now, too.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you wear your clothes backwards like Kriss Kross?

You'd have to be pretty brave to copy the fashions of Redd Kross in fully 60s pastiche mode:
"Annie's Gone"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:28 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Also being asked to tour with Guns 'n' Roses and saying to Axl Rose "Ok, but we won't be going on first" strikes me as not only incredibly funny but also possibly indicative of PDA. :D

Going first is the absolute worst.
That rhymes.
Most people aren't there to see you, and your main job is just to try to get the crowd pumped up, or at least get them to pay attention...

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Apr 2021, 4:33 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
They're one of a number of bands from that era that I really loved. "Phaseshifter" in particular was a really good album.

I thought Redd Kross was the most appropriate name to adopt for WP, as they've always had a stubborn, self-depreciating independent streak, while at the same time clearly greatly enjoying what they do. And also they've been very loyal in supporting and promoting other artists they love, particularly when those people weren't necessarily mainstream or trendy either. They have vaguely Aspie tendencies, I feel.

I just love the idea of a punk band realising the best way to be subversive is to subvert punk itself, by playing 60s psychedelic pop in flower power shirts and smiling. They went so far out of their way to be uncool that they went full circle and actually became cool again on their own terms. That's pretty inspired. And THEN they made an angsty grunge album to slot perfectly into the biggest musical trend of the time, because that's exactly the sort of cash-in / sell out nobody expected. Excellent.

Finally managed to see them a couple of years ago with the Melvins, which was an opportunity I never expected to get. All because I got chatting to a guy in a remote Scottish pub because he walked past wearing a Redd Kross t-shirt, and he told me they were on tour. There's a new album out now, too.

The only album I've got by them so far is Born Innocent but that desciption of them is really cool and so was that video, I should probably buy some more. I often get teased at punk gigs for being a hippy :mrgreen:

It's so lucky that you happend to find out about that gig! I'm a fan of OFF! who Steven McDonald also plays for.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 6:02 am

Mine is "Mountain" as in a mountain, and "Goat" as in a goat.

Do you mean to ask "Why did I choose my username?"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 6:05 am

Caz72 wrote:
my real name shortened and my birth year

Is it a name that can have a K instead of a C?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 6:07 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have high hopes of traveling to London one day and I'm also a rebel.

I hope that you get there.