Police shooting of black man in Brooklyn Center and protests

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 11:18 pm

https://kstp.com/news/protests-continue ... g/6072172/

Quote:
Protests erupted Sunday in Brooklyn Center after a police officer shot and killed a man during a traffic stop.

Members of the community first started gathering throughout the afternoon near the scene where Daunte Wright was pronounced dead at 63rd Avenue North and Lee Avenue.

What started as a couple dozen protesters grew to more than a hundred. People waved Black Lives Matter flags, blasted music and chanted at the police. As the crowd grew, police reinforcements in tactical gear started showing up to secure the area.

At one point, people started jumping on a squad car at the scene, and some were seen throwing concrete blocks. Police in riot gear then began advancing toward the crowd to maintain order. Katie Wright, the mother of the victim got on a speaker and asked people to calm down.

After marshals formed a line at the front of the demonstration, police eventually backed away from the protesters, got in their vehicles and drove away, according to social media reports from the scene.

Around nightfall, protesters regrouped at 63rd and Lee. Activists were giving speeches and led the crowd in song and chants as they gathered around a makeshift memorial of chalk art and candles.

Around 9 p.m., the crowd of protesters began making their way toward the Brooklyn Center Police Department headquarters. Aerial footage appeared to show police forming a perimeter around the building.

"The officer shooting in Brooklyn Center today is tragic," Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott said on Twitter. "We are asking the protesters to continue to be peaceful and that peaceful protesters are not dealt with with force."

Just after 9:30 p.m., officers declared the demonstration outside the police station an unlawful assembly and gave them a 10-minute warning to clear out. About 25 minutes later, officers started firing less-lethal rounds and flash-bang grenades to disperse protesters remaining in the area.

The crowd moved across the street from the police station and continued chanting. Social media reports show officers periodically launching flash-bangs and less-lethal rounds at protesters who approach the line of police.

Around 10:15 Metro Transit said it was shutting down public transit in Brooklyn Center at the request of law enforcement.

Master Oogway

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:34 am

National Guard Activated After Night Of Looting, Protests In Brooklyn Center

Quote:
The overnight unrest in Brooklyn Center following the officer-involved shooting death of a 20-year-old man has pushed the launch Operation Safety Net into its next phase earlier than planned.

In the early morning hours, state law enforcement leaders said they’ve activated everyone they can to stand guard around the Twin Cities area.

This was originally the plan for when closing arguments and jury deliberation in the Derek Chauvin trial began. But as the looting and unrest spilled into Minneapolis, officials decided the extra enforcement was needed now, not later.

Brooklyn Center - Wikipedia
Quote:
Brooklyn Center is one of the original inner-ring suburbs of Minneapolis–Saint Paul

As of the censusof 2010, 30,104 people, 10,756 households, and 7,010 families resided in the city. The population density was 3,781.9 inhabitants per square mile (1,460.2/km2). There were 11,640 housing units at an average density of 1,462.3 per square mile (564.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 49.1% White, 25.9% African American, 0.8% Native American, 14.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 5.4% from other races, and 4.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.6% of the population.

Brooklyn Center is home to regional favorite Surly Brewing Company.

Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, now known simply as the Academy, an MMA training center, is in Brooklyn Center. It has trained such notable fighters as Sean Sherk and Brock Lesnar.

Brooklyn Center is home to the FBI's new Minneapolis field office, which began construction in August 2010

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Apr 2021, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:40 am

I've got cable news on right now - defense attorney asks to sequester the jury in response to the additional death of a black man at the hands of police.

Wellll..... if I were on that jury, I'd dislike the defense attorney even more for sequestering me! (I already think he's pretty marginal.)

Not saying I would acquit or convict based purely on like or dislike of the attorneys, but it could well be an unconscious factor.

Last edited by BeaArthur on 12 Apr 2021, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:05 am

Lots of the typical division of people by skin color to determine motive and guilt of a crime here with zero evidence on social media. The media seems tentative to report much which indicates they know what happened and are finding it a challenge to use the story to further their fabricated "cops are racial supremacists" narrative.

This story will die quickly as the facts come out. Nothing will be done to hold the mayors, prosecutors, and police chiefs accountable to do their jobs in Minnesota. Nothing ever changes in Minnesota.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:39 pm

Daunte Wright’s death ruled homicide by medical examiner

Quote:
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said on Monday that Daunte Wright was killed by a gunshot wound to the chest, ruling his death a "homicide."

Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, was shot by a Brooklyn Center Police officer during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota — not far from Minneapolis.

The release from the county medical examiner noted that "manner of death is not a legal determination of culpability or intent."

Wright was pronounced dead at 2:17 p.m. Sunday near 63rd Ave. N. and Kathrene Drive in Brooklyn Center, according to the medical examiner's report. He was shot in the chest by a Brooklyn Center police officer who was one of at least three officers involved in a traffic stop.

Body-camera video released Monday by the police department shows an officer ask Wright to get out of the car for an outstanding warrant, then ask him to put his hands behind his back. As the officer is in the process of cuffing Wright, the 20-year-old pulls away and gets into the driver's seat of his car.

At that point, a struggle ensued and after initially shouting "Taser! Taser!" an officer fired her gun, fatally striking Wright. No weapons were found in Wright's possession or the vehicle, police said.

Police Chief Tim Gannon suggested that the officer, whom he described a veteran on the police force, accidentally grabbed her gun instead of her Taser, then shot. Gannon believes the shooting was an "accidental discharge."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:11 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I've got cable news on right now - defense attorney asks to sequester the jury in response to the additional death of a black man at the hands of police.

Wellll..... if I were on that jury, I'd dislike the defense attorney even more for sequestering me! (I already think he's pretty marginal.)

Having a juror residing at the location where these new riots are occurring does raise the possibility of this affecting how the particular juror comes to a decision regarding the verdict:
Quote:
Mr. Nelson noted that one juror lives in Brooklyn Center

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting.html

BeaArthur wrote:
Not saying I would acquit or convict based purely on like or dislike of the attorneys, but it could well be an unconscious factor.

Similarly: Not saying they would acquit or convict based purely on the rioting outside\around their residence, but it could well be an unconscious factor.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:36 pm

Brictoria, are you saying the jury should have been sequestered?

I think I heard that they will be sequestered once deliberations begin.

This country is such a damn mess right now. Shootings every where you turn; meanwhile, black lives STILL don't seem to matter to white cops.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:01 pm

It's not about black or white. We need to stop attempting to find motive and guilt in skin color and look at real evidence and ensure justice is done regardless of skin color or any other divisions of people can be made. That's the only thing that threatens to destroy our nation.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:13 pm

Now there's looting going on, as the streets are packed in defiance of a curfew. People have been taking things out of a dollar store. I don't see the point of looting from a dollar store. Go for the jewelry store. Go for the appliance store. How much benefit can you get from a store where "everything's a dollar"?

I kid. Rioting is never justified.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:41 pm

Question. What does the protest aim to achieve?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Brictoria, are you saying the jury should have been sequestered?

No - merely pointing out the reason (or at least one that hadn't been mentioned) behind the request that it occur, to show how the request had a valid potential basis.

BeaArthur wrote:
I think I heard that they will be sequestered once deliberations begin.

No doubt...Given the reason behind doing so is to remove potential outside influences, in order to allow the jury to come to a verdict solely on the evidence provided in court, sequestering would be quite likely.

In such a high profile case as this I'd suggest that it would be a reasonable idea, as it removes a possible avenue for appeal given the current activities in the area have the potential to impact on a jury's decision making process - If the jury are (potentially) aware of what is occurring now, it does give the defense something extra (over any other concerns they may have) to use should a "guilty" verdict be returned, as they can claim these outside events tainted their deliberations...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:22 am

40 arrests made at protest outside Brooklyn Center Police Department Monday

Quote:
Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Brooklyn Center Police Department Monday night, flouting the county’s 7 p.m. curfew to demand justice after the police shooting death of a 20-year-old Sunday.

Protesters gathered outside the police headquarters throughout the day Monday, but the crowd swelled in the evening, with many deciding to stay after 7 p.m.

Law enforcement issued dispersal orders to the crowd after 7:30 p.m. Monday night, but much of the crowd remained. They warned that curfew violations are misdemeanor charges for anyone arrested. Officers began making arrests shortly after 9 p.m., according to the Minnesota Operation Safety Net Twitter account. A total of 40 arrests were made as a result of the protest, ranging from curfew violations to rioting.

In a news conference early Tuesday morning, police said protesters did try to break through the barrier erected around the police department, but were unsuccessful. A few officers received minor injuries after being struck by debris, police say.

ust before 8 p.m., police deployed tear gas on a group of protesters in the night's first confrontation between demonstrators and law enforcement. More tear gas and flash bangs were used by law enforcement throughout the night. Crowds were also seen throwing fireworks and other projectiles back at police.

Some businesses near the police department suffered damage from looting. Law enforcement officials say the Dollar Tree had "significant" damage. Windows were smashed, items were taken and the store was left in disarray.

The crowd began to dwindle around 9:30 p.m. Around that time, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison and Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott spoke with protesters at the site of the protests and urged them to go home.

Minneapolis Police say they were responding to reports of looting and break-ins at businesses across the city Monday night.

In total, Deputy Chief Amelia Huffman said only five businesses were burglarized city-wide. Four arrests were made for burglary, two for shots fired, six for curfew violations and one for an outstanding warrant.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:59 am

The Brooklyn city manager Mark Elliott was fired for suggesting that due process be followed.
Due Process! What is this guy a Nazi!?! !?
(Heavy Sarcasm for those who can't recognize sarcasm)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm

The police chief and officer both resigned.

Be the hero of your life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 10:52 pm

Something really odd about the female officer's decision to resign,

According to the officer Kimberley Potter pictured here

She mistook her gun for a tazer?? how exactly does a 25 year veteran who (I understand) must have her gun on her dominant hand when holstered) make a rookie mistake??

I've read testimony from experienced ex-cops who claim Potter is lying to cover up her intention to shoot unarmed Duante Wright. Her resignation is to avoid a police internal investigation into her motives.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Something really odd about the female officer's decision to resign,

She mistook her gun for a tazer?? how exactly does a 25 year veteran who (I understand) must have her gun on her dominant hand when holstered) make a rookie mistake??

I've read testimony from experienced ex-cops who claim Potter is lying to cover up her intention to shoot unarmed Duante Wright. Her resignation is to avoid a police internal investigation into her motives.

Why would she lie?

Have you watched the video?