Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:45 am

First of all: is the guy autistic? I sometimes find myself angry at edgy teens online although I'd never call them Nazis...

He's taken it on himself to call out a bunch of 16 yos for 'being Nazi' including a trans girl and hispanic/Jewish kids. Their crime? Using ethnic/transphobic slurs on their own discord.

All this right in the middle of a video about how we need to forgive people for being right wing edgy teenagers in the past.

It makes me feel uncomfortable. Sure, they are saying racist, transphobic s**t. But the person holding them accountable? Should be a parent or teacher or each other or maybe another teen online. Not a grown up Youtuber with a massive audience!

Teenagers I find find more things funny than adults do and act in a way which is immature: or at least which is normal maturity for their age rather than our age. It's almost like a way of toughening up. If one teenager is constantly being picked on by another then yes, that is a problem and grown ups in their life have to step up. But teasing back and forth while laughing it off? That's just part of being that young. Yes, even with the edgy s**t involved.

I actually found his video very good apart from that. Nobody is born a bigot. People gravitate towards it when the left/centre right feels 'no fun'.

For me it was Alex Jones videos that did it: more fun to imagine the world being taken over by the NWO then engage in real politics. When I was 13/14 I had a left wing edgy phase I could see more as my actual future views too (I'm a pacifist Republican): I was a little Ra head rebel lol... I wasn't a terrorist, I was being edgy and winding up kids my age. :lol: Kids... are kids... If it gets serious it's a job for parents not the internet to sort out.

I feel like he undermines his whole message when he goes after these teenagers. From watching the video, I imagined they were adults. Looking it up on twitter it feels like something where he has no business getting involved and between friends who know each other irl from school.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 10:08 am

I'm sorry I've never heard of Xanderhal.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 3:19 pm

Youtuber

This video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsIWK6YIvo

Other than that I think it is a very good video. But I thought he was talking about adults! (20+)

Do a little digging on Twitter and he's talking about a bunch of 16/17 yo American high school students who know each other as friends and have unpc inside jokes... Little bit different context imo. Friends crack unpc jokes all the time and that doesn't mean they genuinely think that stuff, at least if they're NT. It's 'banter'.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 5:53 pm

Ah ok he's 21 himself...

I forget people can be charismatic, look mid 20s and be early 20s.

Still feel like I would be weird getting into this drama though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:37 pm

Yeah, I still think he has a way to grow himself. Watching some of his stuff you can see that he has grown, and I do think that he sits in a particular part of as a fairly young adult, having some edge while calling out things that are likely to become more toxic.

Pretty sure Xanderhal has made it very explicit he does not want any harassment come to those he talks about, so I can't say I have seen him try to make teenagers take responsibility. I would say he has mostly had a part of a strong stance against people gatekeeping or purity testing the Left, that he mostly runs up against people who take a stronger stance of not easily forgiving people who have acted in sh***y ways.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2021, 1:49 am

I think Xanderhal is fundamentally an ok dude, but he is pretty young and can be careless at times. In part he is limited by his format. Livestreams are not the place for clear and consistent, well researched, measured opinions. They're better suited for quick reactions and exaggeration for views.