The pandemic stole a year I’ll never get back

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 1:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The pandemic stole my time with my mum which is precious because she's ill with cancer and nobody knows how long she has left. :cry:
I'm so sorry to hear that. I say visit her often, legally or otherwise. Get vaccinated yourself to make it safe. (I'm guessing she's vaccinated already, given her age and/or preexisting condition.) Wear a mask if it makes her feel safe, to allay your conscience, or both. But whatever you do, no amount of Zoom calls will ever replace the face-to-face company of a loved one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 4:08 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
The pandemic stole my time with my mum which is precious because she's ill with cancer and nobody knows how long she has left. :cry:
I'm so sorry to hear that. I say visit her often, legally or otherwise. Get vaccinated yourself to make it safe. (I'm guessing she's vaccinated already, given her age and/or preexisting condition.) Wear a mask if it makes her feel safe, to allay your conscience, or both. But whatever you do, no amount of Zoom calls will ever replace the face-to-face company of a loved one.

Only one person is allowed to see her, and it has to be the same person each time. Yes thanks to the dictatorship of today's society. She's in a room on her own as well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 4:19 pm

Is she in hospital now, Joe?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 6:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Yes she is, nobody knows how long she has left, it's heartbreaking and I'm very emotionally fragile.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:43 am

Yeah, Joe, in your case that is silly. You ought to be allowed to see her. Safely but still see her.

Face time etc as much as you can! I'm sure you're doing that already though.
For other people I'd say hold it out, everyone lost a year of social skills and I am hoping the social skills which are learnt when all this is over are a lot more autism friendly. Social skills are culturally dependent - if you know anthropology or history you know that. I've appreciated the break personally.

I hope when things get back to normal people respect the personal space of strangers and nobody feels like they should be forcing relative strangers to hug them. I've always hated that and cos I 'present female' I've always been suspicious of guys who demanded it.

Also social media when football and soaps were taken away became about Big Talk not just small talk. I love those kinds of discussions. I learnt so much about philosophy and history. It's almost like my timeline 'grew up'.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 5:57 am

Why can’t you and that other person take turns seeing your mother?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 8:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why can’t you and that other person take turns seeing your mother?

Dictatorship. Only the same person has to visit each time. I suppose their name and face is remembered so that others can't sneak past the 'security'.

Yes, the UK has become a dictatorship, a communist country. And we have derailed this thread, but thank you (and several others) for caring. :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 6:44 am

I know you’re upset. And I can understand it. I would be upset, too. They’re overdoing it. They should loosen up now that the UK is doing so well with COVID. It’s not nice that they’re keeping families separate at crucial times.

The UK is neither Communist, nor a dictatorship.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know you’re upset. And I can understand it. I would be upset, too. They’re overdoing it. They should loosen up now that the UK is doing so well with COVID. It’s not nice that they’re keeping families separate at crucial times.

The UK is neither Communist, nor a dictatorship.

It just feels that way at the moment, and I'm scared that it's heading towards this.

My mum has been vaccinated. So has most of my family. I think that more relatives should be allowed to see a loved one that could be dying in hospital, if we wear facemasks, keep to 2 visitors at the most, at one particular time of the day, maybe not allow hugging or kissing, and make sure our hands are sanitized. Plus my mum is in a room on her own, not in a shared ward, so that should be even more easier to be able to visit.
Some patients in hospital have always been vulnerable to any germs, and here in the UK almost all doctors and nurses have been vaccinated and so have most vulnerable people, so I think we should be able to relax some of these restrictions now. It's cruel to isolate people like this.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 7:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Yes she is, nobody knows how long she has left, it's heartbreaking and I'm very emotionally fragile.

Joe, I'm sorry you are having to endure this. Best wishes for your mother. Maybe you can send her cards and letters?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 4:07 pm

At least in your first world country you would be vaccinated very soon, if not so already?

I would be lucky if I get vaccinated at the end of 2022.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2021, 7:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It just feels that way at the moment, and I'm scared that it's heading towards this.

My mum has been vaccinated. So has most of my family. I think that more relatives should be allowed to see a loved one that could be dying in hospital, if we wear facemasks, keep to 2 visitors at the most, at one particular time of the day, maybe not allow hugging or kissing, and make sure our hands are sanitized. Plus my mum is in a room on her own, not in a shared ward, so that should be even more easier to be able to visit.
Some patients in hospital have always been vulnerable to any germs, and here in the UK almost all doctors and nurses have been vaccinated and so have most vulnerable people, so I think we should be able to relax some of these restrictions now. It's cruel to isolate people like this.

Most Hospitals in Essex are allowing one visitor on the
general wards and up to four visitors for end of life patients.

Quote:
Colchester and Ipswich hospitals’ Emergency Departments and the urgent treatment centre at Colchester Hospital remain open to patients who need urgent and emergency help. If you have a health concern that’s not an emergency, but you’re thinking about coming to A&E call NHS 111 first.

End of life visiting

Up to four visitors will be able to visit patients receiving end of life care, where social distancing on the ward can be maintained and it has been agreed with the clinical team

Please be reminded the following guidance in other areas of our hospitals, which is under regular review, is unchanged for now. These rules still apply:

General wards

One visitor (ideally from the same household or support bubble as the patient) may visit a ward for one hour a day after a patient has been in hospital for 48 hours
Visiting slots must be booked with the ward team and we ask that this visitor remains consistent and is the same for each visit during the patient’s stay in hospital
Under current Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines, children are not able to visit our wards, apart from in exceptional / compassionate circumstances
Unfortunately, visits to Coronavirus (COVID-19) wards and any bays on wards that are closed due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) cannot be supported at this time

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Apr 2021, 7:49 am

Locked on OP's request.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>