Are people with ASD immune to hypnotism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:25 pm

Are people on the spectrum immune to hypnotism??
And if so, what aspects of our condition might render us in such a state?
From my own experience, on two separate occasions, I can say that it didn't work for me.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

A hypnotist on a talk show hypnotised me into not being able to open my hands

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:33 pm

I've always been immune to attempts at hypnotism.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:33 pm

It didn't work for me. I'm not sure if I believe it works for anyone, but in my case I know from sleep-analysis studies that my mind stays on hyper-alert from trauma. I don't sleep properly because I don't reach Delta Wave due to anxiety, and I can't meditate. It's very difficult for me to relax, shut off my amygdala, and access my subconscious.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 12:02 am

I've tried post-life regression hypnosis before and it worked alright, though sometimes I have trouble getting my body to calm down enough. Some with a video, and some without: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsWreQ-vcQ

I've done a lot of transcendental meditation too, but not as much as I need.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 12:44 am

to my great frustration, i seem another aspie immune to the benefits of therapeutic and/or investigational hypnosis, a shrink told me that, due to my congenital inability to be simultaneously alert and relaxed, i would need sodium thiopental to be induced.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 5:41 am

I've never been hypnotized before, but no.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:04 pm

A stage-hypnotist visited our overseas base as part of a USO tour.  Only myself and one other volunteer could not be hypnotized.  We both became well-acquainted with the NIS (now NCIS) shortly thereafter.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:14 pm

If I’m reading a book in a crowded airport . . .

The airport seems safe so I’m able to relax. I’m way into the book. The rest of world feels far away.

Might this be a type of “natural” hypnosis?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
A stage-hypnotist visited our overseas base as part of a USO tour.  Only myself and one other volunteer could not be hypnotized.  We both became well-acquainted with the NIS (now NCIS) shortly thereafter.

can you please tell me why the NCIS would be interested in folks who are not suggestible?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 2:47 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
If I’m reading a book in a crowded airport . . .The airport seems safe so I’m able to relax. I’m way into the book. The rest of world feels far away. Might this be a type of “natural” hypnosis?

seems like it to me as that seems to indicate that you were both relaxed yet alert.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:01 pm

I went to perscribed theraputic hypnotist once for a particular issue. . She told me that hypnotism isnt what you think it is...what everyone sees on TV, and in carnival shows.

It didnt work like on TV. It had some limited effect on the problem I was went to the hypnotists for, but not much. Years a later a made up my own therapeutic routine, and that combined with the what hypnotist did, and the combination did help the problem signifcantly.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 13 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I went to perscribed theraputic hypnotist once. She told me that hypnotism isnt what you think it is...what everyone sees on TV, and in carnival shows.

It didnt work like on TV. It had some effect on the problem. Years a later a made up my own therapeutic routine, but combined with the what hypnotist did, and the combination did help the problem signifcantly.

you have a talent for it then. you at the very least can easily put yourself into a relaxed yet alert mode of brain function. :wtg:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
can you please tell me why the NCIS would be interested in folks who are not suggestible?
Well, it might have something to do with ███████, the █████-████ incident, or project ██████████, but I cannot be certain.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I went to perscribed theraputic hypnotist once. She told me that hypnotism isnt what you think it is...what everyone sees on TV, and in carnival shows.

It didnt work like on TV. It had some effect on the problem. Years a later a made up my own therapeutic routine, but combined with the what hypnotist did, and the combination did help the problem signifcantly.

you have a talent for it then. you at the very least can easily put yourself into a relaxed yet alert mode of brain function. :wtg:

Yes. The the problem was a certain deep seated bad habit (akin to cutting). Decades long. The thing that I devised myself was to -go into Charles Atlas mode (so to speak). When the urge to self inflict pain came- I would do isometric excercises (pitting your arm muscles against each other - which inflicts pain- but in a good way- that might buff you up). The hypnotist lady had a different thing. Very diffent little trick. Combination of both is helping to cure this bad habit thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:19 pm

if only i could be hypnotized, there would be lots of reprogramming i'd be doing to meself.