Are people with ASD immune to hypnotism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 5:23 pm

I went to a therapeutic hypnotist once - she tole me that before we began I needed to find a "Place where I felt safe" - where I could go to if the hypnosis took me any place bad. I had something like a panic attack trying to think about a "Place where I felt safe". I never went back.

I went to see a stage hypnotist once when I was in college - I didn't want to be hypnotized into doing anything embarrassing or creepy so I decided to see if I could give myself a self-hypnotic suggestion that I would KNOW if anyone was trying to hypnotize me or make a hypnotic suggestion. As the show went on I stood at the back of the audience and watched - every time the hypnotist said something "suggestive" this big red "X" appeared in my mind's eye - kind of like on a game show.
He hypnotized 4 people. While they were still "under" he gave them the suggestion "the next time I'm preforming here, if you are here . . . if I'm preforming here you WILL be here . . . you will volunteer again." Big red X. I thought that one was dirty pool. The guy did say that some people cannot be hypnotized. I have no idea if my attempt to make a self-hypnotic suggestion really had any effect or not - but it seemed to me that it did.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:08 pm

I've considered going to see one to aid me in quitting smoking. Drinking too would be nice except I rely on the latter to mentally cope knowing that I am in actuality drinking myself to death.. physically and mentally.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 12:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
If I’m reading a book in a crowded airport . . .The airport seems safe so I’m able to relax. I’m way into the book. The rest of world feels far away. Might this be a type of “natural” hypnosis?

seems like it to me as that seems to indicate that you were both relaxed yet alert.

A mental state in which I am relaxed yet alert — to me, this sounds like a pretty good definition of hypnosis! :D

Or, maybe this is the broad overview, and hypnosis is one subtype.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:17 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
I've considered going to see one to aid me in quitting smoking. Drinking too would be nice except I rely on the latter to mentally cope knowing that I am in actuality drinking myself to death.. physically and mentally.
What if you experiment with different ways of just drinking to a pleasant buzz?

You still have the relaxing experience of walking into the friendly confines of a familiar bar. And then you’ve made a conscious decision, for example, maybe even writing down in some fashion, of having two beers and thoroughly enjoying those two beers and then switching to ice tea?