Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:57 am

I like kids' tv shows for the 8-12 demographic and I like YA.

Because:
1 I like horror and adult tv just goes for gore too easily when it comes to horror. Harder and better to write without going to the most obvious thing
2 Kids' horror seems to go based on things that are universally scary like what if you lost your face or your loved ones became puppets?
3 Not all about sex. Swear nearly all my adult aimed shows have sex in them. Even Red Dwarf does! And that's straight males alone in space... talking about females (in this case it's ok to say males and females cos I mean android and cat too)
4 They throw in parental bonuses like 'the crying of lot 49' is referenced in A Series of Unfortunate Events
5 Fast paced. Which is why I like spec fic too.
6 Don't assume you have a life experience I haven't had. I've been to school. I've had parents. I've been bullied. It isn't assumed you're an orphan or have met a king when the shows are about kings or orphans etc. When the show is about jobs/marriage/child raising etc... it's meant to be relatable and I can't relate...
7 Characters go on unrealistic crime solving adventures without being cops... I think irl a lot of these kids would get in trouble for leaving fingerprints in crime scenes :lol:
8 About big parts of life: figuring yourself out, your place in the world, the world itself, big problems facing people like mental illness or bullying etc

I find little kid shows to be annoying. I find adult shows to sometimes be boring. It's the in between stuff that's most fun.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Apr 2021, 9:30 am

Do you have any suggestions for good horror? I watched the first few episodes of "Creeped Out" on Netflix and enjoyed them. Used to love "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?" when I was a kid and would love to see them again now.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:31 pm

I agree with you KT!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 3:21 pm

Point 6 is an interesting one! I wonder if that's why I find so much "mainstream" fiction yawn-inducing... the author tries for "universally relatable" and I just see "boring and incomprehensible"!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 3:28 pm

...back when going to SF conventions was still a thing one could do, I remember talking to a couple of YA authors who were early on in their careers. They bot talked up writing for that age range a lot: the keen, open-minded readers, the dramatic, character-lead plots, and the chance to really make an impact with your writing.