Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2021, 9:08 am

I actually like to call it "Fake Book". I tried once but ended up going back twice :( but this time I'm gonna do it, for the most part. I first signed up in late 2009 and got sucked into the whole thing. At the time, social media was still sort of a new thing and I didn't know what I know now. If I could go back, I would of NEVER signed up for it.

When I deleted my first account, it felt liberating. It was nice knowing all the stupid stuff I said and posted was going away(at least from sight). Then I created a new and the same vicious cycle happened again.

So, this time I am trying something new. I made a new account under a fake last name and added people I actually talk to, which is like 12 honestly. Then, I deactivated the account but kept messenger. The only reason I even kept messenger or even have FB, is because I have a couple of family members that live out of town as well as a few internet friends, whom I would lose forever if not for messenger.

In general, I've come to hate FB. The political discussions are so toxic, people posting phony news articles, misinformation, baby pictures :evil: , and honestly people just being so sh***y. Facebook ended a long term friendship and I came to find, is NOT something that should ever be used in the workplace. The place just stresses me out and I've come to find is a waste of time.

I don't have Twitter or any other social media, except YouTube if that counts.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2021, 9:32 am

I found that the more I observe people on FB, the less I like and respect them, because they either present a carefully curated version of themselves, or they go balls-to-the-wall with the angry, divisive posts. So, yes, for the same reasons. I deactivated my account. Not that too many people will notice, lol.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 10:44 am

I have steadfastly kept my number of "friends" under 40 and right now, it might even be under 30 (of whom at least three are dead).

Quitting/deleting the account altogether, or going into the app full bore, seems like all or nothing thinking. It's quite possible to limit what you see; to unfollow without unfriending; to "leave" groups that are negative. And it's a good exercise not to be totally self-disclosing on Facebook, just as you shouldn't in the supermarket or workplace or church.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:33 am

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Facebook. I myself avoided it for similar reasons and that Facebook isn't trustworthy with it's info that it keeps on you(not that many companies are...).

My experience has been rather limited as I only go on there for specific things or just to catch up with what family and friends are up to. Btw in general most political forums are pretty toxic, especially with Trump just getting out of office and most people aren't exactly jumping for joy over Joe Biden and with COVID still being a thing politics(and the world itself) is just in a crazy place right now. Unless you steel yourself for it I would probably avoid politics for now.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 10:01 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
The only reason I even kept messenger or even have FB, is because I have a couple of family members that live out of town as well as a few internet friends, whom I would lose forever if not for messenger.

Why don't you just exchange phone numbers and/or email addresses with them

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 12:50 pm

starkid wrote:
King Kat 1 wrote:
The only reason I even kept messenger or even have FB, is because I have a couple of family members that live out of town as well as a few internet friends, whom I would lose forever if not for messenger.

Why don't you just exchange phone numbers and/or email addresses with them

I'm using messenger as of now. I've tried that but then people never e-mail me back. Honestly, I miss the days of Yahoo messenger. It was what I needed without the BS.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2021, 1:29 pm

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2021, 2:04 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
I'm using messenger as of now. I've tried that but then people never e-mail me back. Honestly, I miss the days of Yahoo messenger. It was what I needed without the BS.

You could keep in touch through Whatsapp. Oh wait...

F#ck!

(Context for those who don't know: Whatsapp is owned by Facebook.)

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 2:53 pm

yes Kat .

i Feel Ya . Exactly How i Feel About The s**t Heap . Personal i Find it a Complete Waste of Time . Like You , I've Had Several Accounts & Always Felt Better After Deactivating or Deleting . As You Say , The Conclusion of Fake People is Startling .

i am Under The Impression it is a Deep Propaganda Tool . with Agenda's Being Already Infiltrated Deeply Throughout .

its Counter Intuitive For Me . To Bother With it . The Amount of People ive Messaged Who Then Dissapear is Ridiculous . Which Makes Me Really Not Feel The Urge To Piss on Them if They Were on Fire . For Real .

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2021, 6:06 pm

The worst is when you tell people you hate facebook, or don't use it, the reaction, response, and vibe you get from other people, like. Imagine like you pushed a button, and took all the kids in Africa and South America food and water, and yeah. That's how people look at you and respond to you.

People seem to use Facebook like the bible and the gospel. It's everywhere. That damn blue F, you can't escape it. "Connect to Facebook" "Connect to Facebook" "Connect to Facebook". Damn. Shut the hell up. I don't like Facebook, and the only reason my Facebook is still up (my name comes up on search, but my profile is private, and only certain people can see it.), I only keep it up because I have a lot of photos and memories on there, and I think I'm just gonna copy to those pictures when I have the time, and fully get rid of Facebook, because man. Smh.

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't give a damn about Facebook. He was smart, did what he had to do, and is now filthy rich off it, and sold the company to other people, that are turning the platform into the dust, and it's awful and horrible now.

Way too much toxicity, and fakeness, and it's like The Twilight Zone, I swear. It's weird.

No more Facebook. Goodbye Facebook. lol.

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2021, 12:14 am

cbd wrote:
yes Kat .

i Feel Ya . Exactly How i Feel About The s**t Heap . Personal i Find it a Complete Waste of Time . Like You , I've Had Several Accounts & Always Felt Better After Deactivating or Deleting . As You Say , The Conclusion of Fake People is Startling .

i am Under The Impression it is a Deep Propaganda Tool . with Agenda's Being Already Infiltrated Deeply Throughout .

its Counter Intuitive For Me . To Bother With it . The Amount of People ive Messaged Who Then Dissapear is Ridiculous . Which Makes Me Really Not Feel The Urge To Piss on Them if They Were on Fire . For Real .

It is a "s**t heap". I deleted my original one a a few years ago, which I had for like 6-7 years. I posted a lot of political stuff that I became embarrassed about. I no longer believed in most of it, so I figured it was best to delete the account. I've had a couple other accounts since, I hate leaving a paper trail. Now, I am into anything "bad" it's just sometimes I really stick my foot in my mouth and then I feel like an idiot.

FB has made me lose respect for some people and it cost me a friendship in part. It's like, The truth really comes out or you find out how fake someone really is. I'm not much for conspiracy theories but I've wondered similar things about it being part of big agenda, just my mind working overtime there.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 4:48 am

I deleted my FB all the way back in 2009. First got it in 2nd year uni 2007. So that's 2 solid years of use. After 5 years or so passed, I didn't even remember who I had been friends with.

No regrets.

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2021, 8:13 am

Offset wrote:
The worst is when you tell people you hate facebook, or don't use it, the reaction, response, and vibe you get from other people, like. Imagine like you pushed a button, and took all the kids in Africa and South America food and water, and yeah. That's how people look at you and respond to you.

People seem to use Facebook like the bible and the gospel. It's everywhere. That damn blue F, you can't escape it. "Connect to Facebook" "Connect to Facebook" "Connect to Facebook". Damn. Shut the hell up. I don't like Facebook, and the only reason my Facebook is still up (my name comes up on search, but my profile is private, and only certain people can see it.), I only keep it up because I have a lot of photos and memories on there, and I think I'm just gonna copy to those pictures when I have the time, and fully get rid of Facebook, because man. Smh.

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't give a damn about Facebook. He was smart, did what he had to do, and is now filthy rich off it, and sold the company to other people, that are turning the platform into the dust, and it's awful and horrible now.

Way too much toxicity, and fakeness, and it's like The Twilight Zone, I swear. It's weird.

No more Facebook. Goodbye Facebook. lol.

It just brings out the worst in people and yeah if your not on it, then people think somethings wrong with you. I learned the hard way about not using FB In the workplace :roll:, OMG! . The last straw was, the people arguing about guns and conspiracy theory stories about covid 19.

I did delete a message board account recently, this was a board I had posted on for years but this one a-hole basically railroaded me out of there, other people took his side. It honestly creeped me out a little, sort of like back in school how this one bully in 7th got a bunch of people to turn on me.

This is sort of what Facebook to me is, people act fake, start fights, and are just sh***y in general.

Champagne supernova
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2021, 5:58 pm

Haha, I agree whole heartedly.
I have now been off Facebook for 5 years.
And I feel so much better I have much more time to read, exercise and open my eyes to the world.
I was convinced to join Facebook by a lady who wanted a long distance relationship with me, but that's another story. She thought we could catch up on Facebook rather than meeting face to face. And she'd post pictures of us together without asking me first. I think it was her way of marking her territory. I being naive didn't understand and just thought she liked the photo and posted it.
I have had ex girlfriends going through every post saying why did you put this 3 years ago. And reciting the jokes I used to put on there.
Anyway after 5 years of being confused about what I was doing on Facebook I decided to quit. I still see people are on it all day looking for some juicy gossip.

J e s s i c a
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2021, 6:45 pm

You can remove the Facebook app but keep messenger, I find it much better that way and then I can stay in touch with people.

King Kat 1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2021, 8:15 am

Champagne supernova wrote:
Haha, I agree whole heartedly.
I have now been off Facebook for 5 years.
And I feel so much better I have much more time to read, exercise and open my eyes to the world.
I was convinced to join Facebook by a lady who wanted a long distance relationship with me, but that's another story. She thought we could catch up on Facebook rather than meeting face to face. And she'd post pictures of us together without asking me first. I think it was her way of marking her territory. I being naive didn't understand and just thought she liked the photo and posted it.
I have had ex girlfriends going through every post saying why did you put this 3 years ago. And reciting the jokes I used to put on there.
Anyway after 5 years of being confused about what I was doing on Facebook I decided to quit. I still see people are on it all day looking for some juicy gossip.

I don't like that it leaves a proverbial paper trail, as I mentioned stupid stuff I posted from years ago would pop up. Plus, yeah people looking for gossip is not good.