Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Pyne makes ‘alarming comments’ over possible war with China
13/04/2021|3min

Former defence minister Christopher Pyne made some alarming comments overnight suggesting in five to 10 years there could be a war with China, according to Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell.

“Not sure the current Defence Minister Peter Dutton will be too happy with those comments,” Mr Clennell said.

“I asked him directly this on Sunday Agenda a couple of weeks ago because of comments by a senior US officer of fears within six years of a China versus Taiwan conflict and he sought to really downplay it.”

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Australia should be ‘realistic’ about possibility of conflict with China
14/04/2021|6min

Liberal Senator James Paterson says Australia must be realistic about the possibility of conflict with China but has insisted it should not be encouraged.

Senator Paterson’s comments come after former defence minister Christopher Pyne told the University of Adelaide that the nation and its allies could be brought into a war with China amid tensions with Taiwan.

Mr Pyne suggested it could be a reality in the next five to 10 years.

“I think we should be sober and realistic about these possibilities. They are of course possibilities,” Mr Paterson told Sky News.

“It’s not something that we want to entertain or encourage in any way. In fact I think it’s really important that we have a sufficient deterrent effect to dissuade that kind of thing from happening.

“Sometimes the Chinese Communist Party uses the threat of war with Taiwan to try and get pre-emptive concessions from the West,” he said.

“We shouldn’t allow them to use that prospect to intimidate us into doing things that we otherwise wouldn’t do.”