Why did my ex-friends wish me well despite disliking me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 12:18 pm

Two of my ex-friends I used to know in person both told me they no longer liked me when my respective friendships with them ended. However, they also wished me well even after what they told me and I honestly don’t understand why they said that. I couldn’t do the same for them since I was hurt by being told “I don’t like you! I am not your friend!” and “You need to get your head out of your ass!”, some of the meanest things anyone has ever told me along with “You’re a genetic freak of nature and your depression is proof of that so you better kill yourself now!” among other things I can’t completely recall right now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 12:30 pm

If people feel their relationship with someone is toxic they might grow resentful towards that person.

Once the relationship no longer exists their cause for resentment no longer exists and they'd still prefer that person gets to a better place.

They told you off to end the relationship but that doesn't mean they want you to continue to suffer with the stuff that you deal with. Further, wishing you well helps them deal with some of the guilt they'll feel over abandoning you, even if they also believe they had to and that it was in their best interests.

People often feel a degree of guilt over establishing boundaries, especially if they don't feel the issues that demand establishing boundaries are the fault of the person they're establishing the boundary with.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う