Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Matt1347
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2021, 4:46 pm

I have been a pizza delivery driver for the past few months. It's the first "real job" I've had in a long time. In the last few weeks I started struggling socially. The more my boss notices, the harder she is on me. I asked a few co-workers at different times their advice. They all pretty much told me work is for work, not for friends. I didn't like it but fine, that's the way it is. Except I may have swung too far the other way. It seems like I may have just tanked my entire reputation. Thoughts?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 5:31 pm

What do you say when someone says "hi" to you?

Matt1347
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2021, 5:33 pm

"Hi."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 5:54 pm

That's it?

I guess you should say something about the weather or something.....that would probably help the situation. Say...."Man, it's been so cold lately" or "It sure is a nice day today, isn't it?"

Then again, you might not like "small talk."

Do you like your co-workers?

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2021, 5:08 pm

Bullying is harsh. It happens all the time. People are insecure and mean. Even the ones in supervisory roles. You might want to look for another pizzeria to work at. There are different cultures at different workplaces.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:14 am

You said "In the last few weeks I started struggling socially"

Can you give an example?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:14 pm

Would it be so bad if your boss knew? I'm not sure how a diagnosis of Aspergers would interfere with your ability to drive pizza to someone's house and leave it at their doorstep (contactless delivery during Covid). When and why are you needing to interact with people beyond saying "hello" at the pizzeria? Is small talk with colleagues part of your job description?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:25 pm

You said "The more my boss notices, the harder she is on me".

Can you be more specific? In what way is your boss hard on you? Can you give examples?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:03 pm

It's usually a good idea for anybody to disclose their autism or almost any other disability that's not "physical" in the US. Especially when your job doesn't involve computers, teaching, or perhaps an office job.

It's an unfortunate fact that pizza delivery drivers are considered "a dime a dozen." Many bosses who are not enlightened, or don't have kids with autism, would probably think of a reason to fire him the first time he "messes up" after he discloses. I hope this boss is one of those who doesn't know the "employment-at-will" laws.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2021, 6:42 am

Every Time You See Your Boss Smile and Say Hi . Even if You Just Passed Them a Minute Ago . That'll Piss Em Off .

If You're Not The Social Type or Don't Feel It's Your Nature . That Is Upto You .

If It's a Customer Just Be Polite and Friendly . Do Minimal Interaction Unless Required .

Hi , I Have a Large Pizza & Nacho's For a Mr. Bill Smith ..

That'll Be 13.50 Please (or However Much)

Thank You . Enjoy Your Meal . Have a Nice Day (or Evening)

.. 8)