The end-times are very soon and I'm unhappy about that

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 9:01 pm

Obviously the premise in the title is at least debatable, but assuming it is true which I imagine it very well may be because of the way the direction of this world looks, and also because of the theory of the Bible.

Why am I unhappy and anxious about the end of the world, apocalypse, what-have coming soon within the next few years? Well, I'm going to just reach 30 later this year and I want to do the specific things that I have always wanted to do with my life as an adult and if it's possible that a major catastrophe event or fall will interfere with it and even make any future planning moot - it is paralyzing in a way. Okay, they say that afterwards you get to go to Heaven or paradise and live in eternal bliss, but its not exactly the same. I know its weird that I say I don't want to go to Heaven immediately.

And to clear up a possible misconception, I am worried about the current direction of things right now. I just wouldn't want the world to end or if there is some kind of cataclysm most of us will survive but get to have a future and opportunity to rebuild back, maybe not completely like it was before but good enough as we could.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:09 pm

The Bible is a book of historic, moral / philosophical teachings delivered in the form of vague, allegorical tales.

It isn't very precise about anything, and the key messages are often deliberately twisted and "reinvented" by modern day religious leaders. Indeed it's arguable that much of the Bible itself is clouded by centuries of deliberate social, economic and political manipulation.

As an obvious example, take a look at Jesus' attitude towards money and financial institutions, compared to the approach of fundamentalist Christian preachers today. Or even the common Western assumption that Jesus was a white guy.

On that basis I wouldn't believe any prophecies of imminent, biblical doom. I would be very concerned about human population growth, the ever-increasing loss of other species, pollution (particularly from plastics), deforestation, global warming and other forms of environmental damage. But the answer to those concerns is to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM, rather than simply praying for it all to magically go away.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:15 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Obviously the premise in the title is at least debatable, but assuming it is true which I imagine it very well may be because of the way the direction of this world looks, and also because of the theory of the Bible.

Why am I unhappy and anxious about the end of the world, apocalypse, what-have coming soon within the next few years? Well, I'm going to just reach 30 later this year and I want to do the specific things that I have always wanted to do with my life as an adult and if it's possible that a major catastrophe event or fall will interfere with it and even make any future planning moot - it is paralyzing in a way. Okay, they say that afterwards you get to go to Heaven or paradise and live in eternal bliss, but its not exactly the same. I know its weird that I say I don't want to go to Heaven immediately.

And to clear up a possible misconception, I am worried about the current direction of things right now. I just wouldn't want the world to end or if there is some kind of cataclysm most of us will survive but get to have a future and opportunity to rebuild back, maybe not completely like it was before but good enough as we could.

Hmm, I understand that the state of the world is looking very bleak from a lot of angles and vantage points, but don't you think that you're being very historically myopic and catastrophic pronouncing now to be the end of times, not even realizing that end of time prophecies were ubiquitous across history and there were far worse years throughout history than now; heck I would argue even at our worst living back then was much worse than now.

Here's an example of what the ACTUAL worst year in history would have looked like:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11 ... r-be-alive

Yeah, doesnt sound so fun now, does it?

Consider that back then plagues were far more frequent and people used bloodletting as a viable way to treat disease. Bloodletting.....

Consider back then wars were much more frequent

Consider back then racism was far more rampant

Women were deemed as chattel, in some places widows were burned alive or killed like in India and China

Consider that as bad as the world is right now at least the mentally ill weren't killed and tortured as rampantly as they were in the past

People have always been saying the world is going to end. The secret is to live one's life to be their best no matter what

Master Oogway

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 10:42 pm

I'm sure people back in 1918 thought the world was going to end, too.

Things aren't great, but I feel like they're slowly getting better.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:32 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Obviously the premise in the title is at least debatable,

And it will be debated, especially on WP! :lol:

Quote:
Why am I unhappy and anxious about the end of the world, apocalypse, what-have coming soon within the next few years? Well, I'm going to just reach 30 later this year and I want to do the specific things that I have always wanted to do with my life as an adult and if it's possible that a major catastrophe event or fall will interfere with it and even make any future planning moot - it is paralyzing in a way.

That is a thing which is a known thing in younger people and it is fully understandable.
I'm within sight of 60 years old and there are sill things I want to enjoy, to have, to live, here in this life.
Also keep in sight that that future and those plans and desires can be altered or outright ended and made moot at any moment in the right here and right now by illness, injury, crime, or accident.

Quote:
Okay, they say that afterwards you get to go to Heaven or paradise and live in eternal bliss, but its not exactly the same.

Looking at it from this life it is often easier to say how that its being not the same has certain drawbacks, than it is to see or say the benefits of it.
And it doesn't help that popular culture representations of that existence often give it a dull and uninteresting, downright boring, look.

Quote:
I know its weird that I say I don't want to go to Heaven immediately.

Actually, I'm going to tell you that it is not all that weird to say/think/feel that way, and that lot of people have and do.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:42 am

Well...thats how the cookie crumbles!

You were born less than thirty years before Christ decided to return (requiring the world to end).

So...you're just not gonna make it to your 30th birthday. Thems the breaks. :)

Kinda like being an heir to the Pullman Passenger train company, and being born in the Fifties... right when the airline industry took off, and made luxury train travel obsolete causing the company to go out of business.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:57 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm sure people back in 1918 thought the world was going to end, too.

Things aren't great, but I feel like they're slowly getting better.

Apparently humans have been enduring cataclysms ever since we left the shores of Africa. Global floods, earthquakes, famine, plagues and invasions.

We are very tenacious and resilient in facing mother nature but not so good at dealing with genocidal maniacs.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:

You were born less than thirty years before Christ decided to return (requiring the world to end).

Kinda like being an heir to the Pullman Passenger train company, and being born in the Fifties... right when the airline industry took off, and made luxury train travel obsolete causing the company to go out of business.

Okay??

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:08 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Okay??

Huh?
You dont like my response to your op?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:10 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
The Bible is a book of historic, moral / philosophical teachings delivered in the form of vague, allegorical tales.

It isn't very precise about anything, and the key messages are often deliberately twisted and "reinvented" by modern day religious leaders. Indeed it's arguable that much of the Bible itself is clouded by centuries of deliberate social, economic and political manipulation.

As an obvious example, take a look at Jesus' attitude towards money and financial institutions, compared to the approach of fundamentalist Christian preachers today. Or even the common Western assumption that Jesus was a white guy.

On that basis I wouldn't believe any prophecies of imminent, biblical doom. I would be very concerned about human population growth, the ever-increasing loss of other species, pollution (particularly from plastics), deforestation, global warming and other forms of environmental damage. But the answer to those concerns is to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM, rather than simply praying for it all to magically go away.

You must be joking! It is coming to pass word for word!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:12 am

To the origional poster.

Be aware that the earth does not end straight away. There are the 1000 year reign of Christ to take place before that time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 5:14 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Redd_Kross wrote:

You must be joking! It is coming to pass word for word!

Its been "coming to pass word for word" every year for the last two thousand years.

Blue_Blake
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2021, 5:53 am

Redd_Kross wrote:

I second this, and one of my two friends is a Catholic priest. We debate a lot but we're friends. There's also a theory that the modern depiction of Jesus was based on Cesare Borgia, who was apparently the son of Pope Alexander VI.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 8:53 am

Wikipedia has an extensive list of Failed End-Times Predictions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 1:58 am

Comparing this to other historical events, we're doing pretty good honestly. Descriptions of "brother against brother" fit far more into, say, the second world war than 2020. Seriously, read about the second world war in Belarus. It won't put you in a good mood, but it will remind you that we're doing ok right now. Relatively speaking. 1 in 4 Belorussians died during the war. I think people in the 1940s had far more reason to believe they were living in the end times.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 2:25 am

No I don’t think this is the end times

We aren’t facing an existential threat at the moment