Hate it when they say it'll last forever

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 2:29 pm

It does make my heart sink when I hear one minute from someone saying this may go on forever and social distancing and face masks will be around for a long time, it almost brings me to the edge of wanting to weep but I won't and a part of me saying 'I just can't live like this forever, I don't want to keep worrying everyday about the person behind me coughing, and I want to go out and do things again without having an infectious killer virus running amok all the time. Although I do know that people die everyday from other things we can't see that kill us such as the flu but we don't always wear masks and socially distance when that's around.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm

I think what will last forever will be a change of culture. Like, it will probably be normal to wear face masks in public (like it is in East Asia), or to want a little more distance from strangers than what was normal before, or to wash/sanitize your hands in public places. Handshakes might also go permanently out of fashion, or at least it may become acceptable and common to choose to greet people some other way when a handshake would have been practically mandatory before.

I think it will take years for the pandemic to really be over, in an epidemiological sense of it, but life will be relatively normal again in most places long before that. At some point later this year, I'm sure the economy will be the one thing in everyone's heads instead. Now that might actually last an indefinitely long time, but no one knows what it's going to be like, and we're not there yet, so that's a worry for another day. It's just worth being aware that, one way or another, things going forward aren't going to be the way they were before, so it's necessary to be prepared for change.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:32 pm

It depresses me as well, and panics me. It feels like the whole world has turned into a dictatorship and that they just want to control everybody. I mean, now that we have vaccines, it sounds absurd to still be told where we can and can't go and who we can and can't see.

People keep on arguing that you can still catch it even when vaccinated and I KNOW that, but the goal is to have very little deaths and hospital admissions. Like the flu, they'll produce new vaccinations every year to match the variants, as we all know that all viruses vary every year.

The UK has a habit of having the borders open to countries where variants are coming from, so that people can bring the variants here and the government can put us all in lockdown again and destroy the economy even further. So if that's the case then they don't give a s**t about people, it's just all a ruse to get everybody doing everything online and become screen slaves. Just thinking about that makes me consider suicide.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:40 pm

I don't want to wear masks forever.

I want to print off an exemption thing.

Mum isn't letting me.

She said we have to show willing.

But there have been autistic exemptions since pre-vaccine.

And I really don't think it's dangerous if you have the vaccine and social distance.

I just want to go to book shops & museums again.

It was so hard being a hermit a few years ago. I only did it cos I was ill and now we all have to do it.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2021, 12:58 am

Joe90 wrote:
It depresses me as well, and panics me. It feels like the whole world has turned into a dictatorship and that they just want to control everybody. I mean, now that we have vaccines, it sounds absurd to still be told where we can and can't go and who we can and can't see.

We're still, at least depending on where you are, in the early stages of rolling out the vaccines. Just because we have started rolling out vaccines doesn't mean a switch has flipped and that we need to suddenly drop all of our safety measures. Quarantine measures will be reduced gradually as the rate of vaccination increases. Go get your shots people!

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:43 pm

Tell you why I fear it...

9/11.

Very real terrorist attack as was 7/7.

The shoe bomber was just one attempt at an incident and it failed.

Ever since, we can't do things like have our own food on planes, carry too much liquid on planes, have to take shoes off at airports etc.

Yes. Covid is a real virus.

But I fear how much they will use regular people's fear of this virus to push a narrative that never again can we go out without masks on. Or that we shouldn't be picking up physical objects when out in public: browsing through things. Or that we need to sanitise our hands every single time we enter a building.

I am talking about post-vaccine. I would like to be able to take a few risks once I have the vaccine. Especially once everyone has it.

Moving towards a cash free society would move towards an easier to track one. I'm not an Alex Jones fan but I'm not 100% convinced they wouldn't love this. 'They' being establishment, banks, government etc. And it would be easy to convince people to do this through fear mongering about Covid and getting everything online forever.

I'm not a Covidiot. I believe the virus exists. In fact I've been over cautious some would say, mostly cos I had high risk relatives living with me. But I don't want to be treated like an idiot over it and tricked into giving up liberties post-virus, either.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 3:33 am

KT67 wrote:

But I fear how much they will use regular people's fear of this virus to push a narrative that never again can we go out without masks on. Or that we shouldn't be picking up physical objects when out in public: browsing through things. Or that we need to sanitise our hands every single time we enter a building.

What reason would "they" have to do this? The uncertainty around this virus has hurt the economy, hurt their bottom line. Surely they want us all up and about, stimulating the economy? In fact, when all this started it seemed that virologists were urging us to stay home, while corporations and conservative think tanks were encouraging us to go out, work, and spend money. Most countries have faced quarantines before. Why is this the one that will doom our civil liberties? I understand people feel very worried about this, but nobody has prevented me with convincing evidence that this will meaningfully hurt our liberties down the line.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 5:16 am

MidnightRose wrote:
KT67 wrote:

What reason would "they" have to do this? The uncertainty around this virus has hurt the economy, hurt their bottom line. Surely they want us all up and about, stimulating the economy? In fact, when all this started it seemed that virologists were urging us to stay home, while corporations and conservative think tanks were encouraging us to go out, work, and spend money. Most countries have faced quarantines before. Why is this the one that will doom our civil liberties? I understand people feel very worried about this, but nobody has prevented me with convincing evidence that this will meaningfully hurt our liberties down the line.

This. The whole world hiding away from a virus that everyone should have some sort of immunity to one day is just going to turn everybody into snowflakes and make our immune systems even weaker because nobody will be exposed to any other germs.
We've tackled other deadly diseases with vaccines and life has gone on as normal, so why shouldn't it be the same with this?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

18 Apr 2021, 5:36 am

I can deal with temporary changes until the virus is in check but I'm really stressed out by people suggesting things will go on forever too. I suspect the government would love to do away with real cash and have everyone carrying a smartphone to track everywhere they go and everything they buy too.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 5:50 am

The government have wanted a cashless society since this even began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKURdhWCss

And I'm also scared of my mother as well as the state. She will fear monger me into staying home rather than have me going to pubs or even other places on my own. This gives her leverage.

I told her that once I have the vax I am doing things as soon as they open. She started talking about 'what if there is a new virus'. Here's the thing though. I am scared of vaccines. And there will always be a new virus. Only way that I am going to be happy/agree to having a vaccine is if it is a promise of freedom.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:19 pm

I'm actually suffering with depression because of it all. Today I went out to the shops for the first time in months, for some much needed shopping, and it was wonderful. It was nice to get the fresh air, exercise and social interaction. You don't get any of that doing all your shopping online. In fact I think they should put Amazon and other things that are putting high street shops put of business on hold for a few months just to get everyone out to spend money in the shops.

I don't blame the pandemic, I blame the online market. If it wasn't for online shopping, the economy would have no choice but to pick up and rebuild. But now they're saying how the majority of people looove going online to buy all their clothes and books and anything else you can think of, so this will have a bad effect on our high streets.

Like a vegetarian never eating meat, I'm a high street shopper and will never use Amazon to do my shopping.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:53 am

Amazon and most similar stuff I agree with.

When the first lockdown was on, I feel like the only thing saving some local shops was having an online presence.

They should be allowed to continue that presence.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm

The hard facts are that the vaccines do not work like vaccines have done for other diseases/illnesses.
People ARE catching Covid after having the first OR BOTH shots.
Antibodies are developing, but some people are catching Covid anyway.
Some survivors of Covid are catching it AGAIN.
This virus is not like anything else; we have to face this, do our research, check online information from the Health Department, and follow the rules/procedures/recommendations meticulously.
We are in the midst of a plague.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:14 pm

I'm just scared that we may never be allowed to hug people we don't live with again. It's like we're all going to be living in fear, letting a virus control us and basically living like the boy in the bubble. That is going to destroy our immune systems to the point where if we do come into contact with non-COVID germs we could become very ill.

The government can't let that happen, taking away our freedom like that. It's no good saying "well get used to it" because I am used to it compared to last April, but I still hate it and it's causing me depression. Did the Spanish flu change people's way of interacting forever?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:19 pm

Sylkat wrote:
The hard facts are that the vaccines do not work like vaccines have done for other diseases/illnesses.
People ARE catching Covid after having the first OR BOTH shots.
Antibodies are developing, but some people are catching Covid anyway.
Some survivors of Covid are catching it AGAIN.
This virus is not like anything else; we have to face this, do our research, check online information from the Health Department, and follow the rules/procedures/recommendations meticulously.
We are in the midst of a plague.

The vaccines don't stop you getting it, they just stop you getting so ill with it, or lessen the chances at least. A couple of years ago boyfriend had the flu vaccine and a few months after the vaccine he got the flu, and gave it to me. I got very ill with the flu while he only get it mildly, probably because he had the vaccine and I didn't. But these COVID vaccines should lessen the chances of people becoming hospitalised or dying or suffering long term damage.
If the vaccines aren't going to make a jot of difference then what's the point in having a vaccine at all?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:21 pm

It's still very rare for a fully-vaccinated person to catch COVID.