Do you remember the FIRST movie you ever saw in a theatre?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
my parents said we saw Nemo when it came out (so I was around 2) and I had a meltdown, so my dad had to sit outside the theater with me. lol

I took my little boy to see an animated movie in the mid 90s. I think it was called Iron Man? Something like that? He also had a meltdown and went hysterical from the sound being so loud. We spent the entire time in the lobby getting rude looks from people. Then he developed a fear of loud noises in general which lasted for several years. Funny I had forgotten all about that.

My dad said people glared at him the entire time, but that one of the staff gave him an extra ticket so he could watch something by himself later, because they were happy he cared enough to take me out of the theater.

I don't even know why I melted down because I don't remember that experience at all.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:38 pm

That was kind of the staff to give him another ticket. It was probably the loud sound that scared you. My daughter was traumatised with Finding Nemo. To this day she won't eat fish (lol) - sounds funny but she will eat all types of meat, just not fish. She has panic attacks even if she sees fish and chips on a menu. She saw the movie with her dad so I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's very sad. I was kind of the same way with Charlotte's Web when I was little. I decided to be a vegetarian, but that only lasted a month or two.

Have you seen Finding Nemo again?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That was kind of the staff to give him another ticket. It was probably the loud sound that scared you. My daughter was traumatised with Finding Nemo. To this day she won't eat fish (lol) - sounds funny but she will eat all types of meat, just not fish. She has panic attacks even if she sees fish and chips on a menu. She saw the movie with her dad so I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's very sad. I was kind of the same way with Charlotte's Web when I was little. I decided to be a vegetarian, but that only lasted a month or two.

Have you seen Finding Nemo again?

I've watched Finding Nemo a few times since then.

From what I remember it starts with a mated pair of Clown fish, and the mom eventually dies from something I can't remember, and only one of their eggs survives the event, which ends up being Nemo. That's the saddest part of the whole movie IMO and it made me cry as a kid, but I still eat fish. :lol:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I took my little boy to see an animated movie in the mid 90s. I think it was called Iron Man? Something like that?

The Iron Giant, maybe?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:55 pm

Star wars, a new hope - drive in theatre in 1977.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 2:28 am

I'm not sure, but I believe it was the Lord of the Rings. I don't remember seeing Fellowship in theaters, but I think I remember seeing the Battle of Helms Deep in the theater. My big memory is the scene in Return of the King where the nazgul descend on Minas Tirith. I was absolutely blown away, and it was pretty scary! It's still one of my favorite scenes, and those are still some of my favorite movies. I can still get that childhood sense of wonder watching them. I would have been 6 when Return of the King came out, in retrospect it doesn't really seem like the kind of movie you should bring a 6 year old to. But my parents were pretty relaxed about me watching violence (with some restrictions), and I was more mature than some other kids my age.

It started a lifelong interest in fantasy, and, I don't know... movie magic I guess. Imagine my disappointment that we still haven't had a proper fantasy epic of equal quality since those movies!

It's this scene, for reference

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2021, 10:37 am

MidnightRose wrote:
Imagine my disappointment that we still haven't had a proper fantasy epic of equal quality since those movies!

What about The Hobbit?

Sorry. Bad joke...

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 8:13 pm

It was the early 70's. There was a double feature of Disney's One of our Dinosaurs is Missing and Cinderella.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 9:57 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I took my little boy to see an animated movie in the mid 90s. I think it was called Iron Man? Something like that?

The Iron Giant, maybe?

Ah yes, that sounds right. Thanks!

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2021, 2:37 am

threetoed snail wrote:
Sorry. Bad joke...

Got me in the first half, not gonna lie.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 9:42 am

Pippi and the pirates , mid 80s (movie from 1970 though)

Not cinema but remember the hype for Roger Rabbit in video store : "four yrs in the making , the sfx"

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2021, 9:31 pm

Popeye, 1980. Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall. It was creepy, very characteristic of its time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 8:44 am

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

"Stop-motion animation wizard Ray Harryhausen made a rare foray into straight science-fiction with this black and white '50s programmer, which ended up influencing the likes of Independence Day and Mars Attacks.  In fact, the movie almost plays its story too straight compared to its descendants, but Harryhausen's effects are always a hand-crafted joy and the film's final battle sequences are thrilling, as the invaders lay waste to a number of famous landmarks." -- Critic's Commentary

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 9:39 am

What i liked about Robin Williams as Popeye was the way he would say things under his breath, the way the really old Popeye cartoons would - In the animated Popeye I think this was a way for the voice actors to ad-lib without worrying about the animation - the animated figures mouths don't move during this - Popeye and Bluto would both do it to fill in between lines while there was action - or not much action.

I would guess the first "In The Theater" film that I went to was a Disney Double Feature. There was a theater which would show two Disney movies for one price - one was a big name well known animated feature like Cinderella and the other was a live action lesser known movie like "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" or "Hot Lead and Cold Feet". Sometimes there would be a Disney "Short" too - but it is hard to remember. I never remember anything clearly with a time/date associated with it - so I usually have to reason to the date/time. When I was young all I wanted in the world was to grow up to be a Disney animator. Later I wanted to grow up to be a DC comic book artist (don't hate me if you are a "Marvel is better than DC" type). I read everything I could find on the two topics. At the time I think VHS hadn't yet come out (but did soon after) and Disney and Micky Mouse Club were both on tv - so what I saw on TV and what I saw at the theater is fuzzy. We also had a bunch of old record players my mother would buy cheap at garage sales or yard sales and albums with the songs and additional narration from the Disney Movies. We memorized the records and would sing with them - we even memorized where the scratches were so we could sing to the skips. So it all became a bit of a memory soup.

Gee I sound like an old duffer.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 4:58 am

The first movie I saw at the cinema was Monsters Inc, when I was 12. I wasn't taken to the cinema before then because my parents thought I might not be able to sit still and I might have misbehaved. By 12 I was old enough to know how to sit still and quietly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 8:04 am

I went to my first movie alone when I was 10----when I saw the first "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." Movies were 50 cents then for under 12's.

I went to quite a few movies alone when I was 11-12.