Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:41 am

Such a wonderful guy, huh?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:15 pm

Remember kids, less terrible isn't the same as good, it's not even the same as not-bad.

A turd-sandwich might be less terrible than a turd-sandwich laced with strychnine, PCBs and filled with broken glass, but it's still a turd-sandwich.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 3:08 pm

They spend the first five minutes side-swiping Jane Lynch (clearly cos they supposedly like her so much) to get at Biden, throwing her under the bus to smear him. Classy.

It was nice of them to not mention that these sections of border wall were already approved and paid for by someone else - a legally binding contract - and cannot be undone just by flailing an arm about and saying "yuh FIYAD!"

This is a game of lose-lose. People are going to whine and cry either way. Sometimes it's the same people losing their minds when he doesn't build the wall, then lose their minds when he does build the wall. Trump built a wall. YAY! Biden stopped the wall. BOO! Biden is still building the wall. BOO! Funny that...

Also, apparently Biden is both still building the wall, AND letting hordes of people into america. How does that work? Especially since the rate of immigrants hasn't really changed in the last 2 years.

It reminds me of the T-1000 in the pool of molten metal, desperately flailing from form to form hoping one will be effective. Like the shotgun approach. Blurt out whatever you can and maybe something will stick. Even if the things said are mutually exclusive and can't all coexist at once.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:21 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
They spend the first five minutes side-swiping Jane Lynch (clearly cos they supposedly like her so much) to get at Biden, throwing her under the bus to smear him. Classy.

It was nice of them to not mention that these sections of border wall were already approved and paid for by someone else - a legally binding contract - and cannot be undone just by flailing an arm about and saying "yuh FIYAD!"

This is a game of lose-lose. People are going to whine and cry either way. Sometimes it's the same people losing their minds when he doesn't build the wall, then lose their minds when he does build the wall. Trump built a wall. YAY! Biden stopped the wall. BOO! Biden is still building the wall. BOO! Funny that...

Also, apparently Biden is both still building the wall, AND letting hordes of people into america. How does that work? Especially since the rate of immigrants hasn't really changed in the last 2 years.

It reminds me of the T-1000 in the pool of molten metal, desperately flailing from form to form hoping one will be effective. Like the shotgun approach. Blurt out whatever you can and maybe something will stick. Even if the things said are mutually exclusive and can't all coexist at once.

That's a nice apologist rant for Biden and the Dems, but it's conveniently ignoring Biden's backpedaling. He said he would defund the border wall on day one of his presidency. Do you have criticism for that?

As far as Jane Lynch, she should be trashed. The Hollywood elite don't have the same problems as the working class, because she's a millionaire who doesn't have to be concerned about healthcare, putting food on her family's table, or paying her rent or mortage.

Please toddle off to another thread if you want to enable these as*holes. I really am getting sick and f*****g tired of hearing it, because it's destroying our country. That's how we wound up with Trump.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Remember kids, less terrible isn't the same as good, it's not even the same as not-bad.

A turd-sandwich might be less terrible than a turd-sandwich laced with strychnine, PCBs and filled with broken glass, but it's still a turd-sandwich.

I agree. This voting for lesser evil gets us nowhere.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Voting for the lesser evil and considering that good enough doesn't help. But it's still better than voting for the greater evil. It's not quite black and white, but there's still a difference between silver and charcoal.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:39 pm

Snopes has a piece on this. Personally I would ascribe more credibility to Snopes than 98% of what's found on YouTube.

Although there's more, here's the summary:

Quote:
What's True
President Joe Biden, who promised during his campaign not to build "another foot of wall," signed an executive order pausing funding for border wall construction. Then, in early April 2021, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said previously approved congressional actions set aside funding for "some components of the wall" and "limited construction" that was either in process or set to happen in the future. However ...

What's False
The Biden administration had not reversed its opposition to the border wall, which had been a hallmark of former U.S. President Donald Trump's presidency.

What's Undetermined
It is unclear which congressional actions, specifically, allocated the above-mentioned funding, and whether the "limited construction" includes extending the barrier or simply making updates to the existing structure.

Unfortunately for everyone who wants to argue about this, the truth is far from simple. I suspect it may have something to do with contractual commitments that can't just be walked away from, even by a President.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Voting for the lesser evil and considering that good enough doesn't help. But it's still better than voting for the greater evil. It's not quite black and white, but there's still a difference between silver and charcoal.

It would be better if the people who voted for the people who believe they are the better option paid attention and held them accountable. That's not happening. If everyone goes to sleep again, we'll only get a worse Trump down the road.

For all the criticism I have for Obama, I'll give him some credit for backing down on the TPP and the net neutrality issue. I was involved in both of those grass roots movements. Perhaps if more people had held him accountable, he could have done better things.

FDR said at the beginning of his presidency-- I'm paraphrasing here -- that the people had to pressure him to do the right things. They did, and he gave us the "New Deal."

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:59 pm

MaxE wrote:
Snopes has a piece on this. Personally I would ascribe more credibility to Snopes than 98% of what's found on YouTube.

Although there's more, here's the summary:

Quote:
What's True
President Joe Biden, who promised during his campaign not to build "another foot of wall," signed an executive order pausing funding for border wall construction. Then, in early April 2021, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said previously approved congressional actions set aside funding for "some components of the wall" and "limited construction" that was either in process or set to happen in the future. However ...

What's False
The Biden administration had not reversed its opposition to the border wall, which had been a hallmark of former U.S. President Donald Trump's presidency.

What's Undetermined
It is unclear which congressional actions, specifically, allocated the above-mentioned funding, and whether the "limited construction" includes extending the barrier or simply making updates to the existing structure.

Unfortunately for everyone who wants to argue about this, the truth is far from simple. I suspect it may have something to do with contractual commitments that can't just be walked away from, even by a President.

Then Biden shouldn't have made a promise he wasn't willing, or able, to commit to.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 4:21 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

That's a nice apologist rant for Biden and the Dems, but it's conveniently ignoring Biden's backpedaling. He said he would defund the border wall on day one of his presidency. Do you have criticism for that?

As far as Jane Lynch, she should be trashed. The Hollywood elite don't have the same problems as the working class, because she's a millionaire who doesn't have to be concerned about healthcare, putting food on her family's table, or paying her rent or mortage.

Please toddle off to another thread if you want to enable these as*holes. I really am getting sick and f*****g tired of hearing it, because it's destroying our country. That's how we wound up with Trump.

What does the wall have anything to do with America's working poor? If you mean that illegals are stealing American jobs, that's been disproven time and time again. Americans lose their jobs to automation, outsourcing, and general greed by the business community that works as few employees for as long as possible, and paying them as little as they can get away with.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

What does the wall have anything to do with America's working poor? If you mean that illegals are stealing American jobs, that's been disproven time and time again. Americans lose their jobs to automation, outsourcing, and general greed by the business community that works as few employees for as long as possible, and paying them as little as they can get away with.

Uhhh...no. that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about millionares who don't have the same concerns that working class Americans do. I'm talking about apologists for Democrats. How hard is that to understand?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 6:21 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Uhhh...no. that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about millionares who don't have the same concerns that working class Americans do. I'm talking about apologists for Democrats. How hard is that to understand?

Okay, I just assumed that when you talked about the wall AND the American working class, your point was that brown people were supposedly taking jobs from (white) Americans. You know when you assume- -.
That said, are you of the same mind when super wealthy conservative people and corporations use their voices (and money) to influence politics at the expense of working people and their union representation? Because I can tell you right now, such persons and corporations are fighting for interests that would leave the working class in ruins, and to and extent already has. Or is it only when it comes to liberal people in the arts and entertainment speak their mind?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 1:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Okay, I just assumed that when you talked about the wall AND the American working class, your point was that brown people were supposedly taking jobs from (white) Americans. You know when you assume- -.
That said, are you of the same mind when super wealthy conservative people and corporations use their voices (and money) to influence politics at the expense of working people and their union representation? Because I can tell you right now, such persons and corporations are fighting for interests that would leave the working class in ruins, and to and extent already has. Or is it only when it comes to liberal people in the arts and entertainment speak their mind?

Neither the Dems or the Pubs give two flying f***s about the working class. I should think my position be fairly clear by now.

I spend more time criticizing the Democrats because so many people still labor under the delusion that they're still serving them. Since Bill Clinton shifted the party way to the right in 90s, and got in bed with all the same corporate interests as the Republicans, we no longer had an opposition party to neoliberalism.

We need to be paying very close attention to what these people are doing, rather than being apologists for them. That's how we got Trump.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:43 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Neither the Dems or the Pubs give two flying f***s about the working class. I should think my position be fairly clear by now.

I spend more time criticizing the Democrats because so many people still labor under the delusion that they're still serving them. Since Bill Clinton shifted the party way to the right in 90s, and got in bed with all the same corporate interests as the Republicans, we no longer had an opposition party to neoliberalism.

We need to be paying very close attention to what these people are doing, rather than being apologists for them. That's how we got Trump.

While it's absolutely true that the Dems have gotten way too cozy with corporate America, I will never forget how it was their support of organized labor that allowed my dad to bring home a hefty income so that my mom could stay at home, and I was spoiled rotten. It's still the Democrats who support a strong social safety net which working people can depend on during financial disaster.
As I recall, you had been a Trump apologist back in the day.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

While it's absolutely true that the Dems have gotten way too cozy with corporate America, I will never forget how it was their support of organized labor that allowed my dad to bring home a hefty income so that my mom could stay at home, and I was spoiled rotten. It's still the Democrats who support a strong social safety net which working people can depend on during financial disaster.

The Democratic Party of your fathers era bears no resemblance to the party today.

I mever was an apologist for Trumps bad decisions. I condemed him for vetoing the Yemen bill, but didn't hear a peep about it here from anyone. Why? Obama and Biden are responsible for the U.S. involvement (funding Saudia Arabia) for that genocidal war.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 6:08 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

The Democratic Party of your fathers era bears no resemblance to the party today.

I mever was an apologist for Trumps bad decisions. I condemed him for vetoing the Yemen bill, but didn't hear a peep about it here from anyone. Why? Obama and Biden are responsible for the U.S. involvement (funding Saudia Arabia) for that genocidal war.

I don't recall posting on a Yemen thread. If I had, and not condemned that war, then I apologize.
Actually, I recall you defending many of Trump's bad decisions.