Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:38 am

just finished watching Prince Phillips burial service , May he rest in Peace . lots of pomp and circumstance .

where ever you go ,there you are

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:06 pm

I thought it was a very dignified service, just what he would have wanted.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 8:18 pm

must agree ...... thought it was also, have never seen a Royal funeral before .

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:19 pm

I think his funeral was done very tastefully.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 4:59 am

I feel so sorry for the queen sitting there on her own, the others were all sitting together why couldn't someone sit with her. :( :cry:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 6:32 am

Dear Aprilviolets,
I agree absolutely!
She will be alone, truly, for the rest of her life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 3:53 am

The queens still has a her brood plus grandkids

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 2:26 am

i loved his "gaffes" that the UK press made much light of- here is a selection of the great man's wit and wisdom-

During a 1986 visit to China, he told a British student: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes.”
To a driving instructor in Scotland in 1995, he said: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?
During a 2002 visit to Australia, he asked a group of Indigenous Australians: “Do you still throw spears at each other?
On a visit to north London, he asked a disabled man on a mobility scooter: “How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?
When a man opens the car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife”.
In 1984, while accepting a gift from a woman in Kenya: "You are a woman aren't you?"
In 1998, Prince Philip asked a student who returned from a trip to Papua New Guinea, "You managed not to get eaten then?"
"We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves." During a trip to Canada in 1976.
"If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Said to a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.
"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?" To a wheelchair-bound Susan Edwards, and her guide dog Natalie in 2002.
"A pissometer?" The Prince sees the renames the piezometer water gauge demonstrated by Australian farmer Steve Filelti in 2000.
"The French don't know how to cook breakfast." The Prince said this after having a breakfast of bacon, eggs, smoked salmon, kedgeree, croissants and pain au chocolat – from Gallic chef Regis Crépy – in 2002.
"Do people trip over you?" Meeting a wheelchair-bound nursing-home resident in 2002.
"Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practiced for a good many years." Address to the General Dental Council, quoted in Time in 1960.
"I never see any home cooking – all I get is fancy stuff." Commiserating about the standard of Buckingham Palace cuisine in 1962.
"It is my invariable custom to say something flattering to begin with so that I shall be excused if by any chance I put my foot in it later on." Full marks for honesty, from a speech in 1956.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 3:42 am

The fellow was cringey but I'll grudgingly admit he had a sense of humor.

This one is classic
A pissometer?" The Prince sees the renames the piezometer water gauge demonstrated by Australian farmer Steve Filelti in 2000.

In Australia we say the Prince is taking the "piss" out of this guy so I'm guessing he must have crossed paths with a few Australians during the time he was in the navy :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 4:34 am

izzat a down-under way of saying the prince was trying to piss-off the aussie farmer?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 5:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
izzat a down-under way of saying the prince was trying to piss-off the aussie farmer?

Precisely

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 5:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Precisely

too bad the good farmer couldn't have "returned the favor" somehow, in a suitably subtle manner.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 7:06 am

I’ve been reading up on Prince Philip’s mother....
I’ve discovered tha she was One of THE most fascinating people I’ve ever looked into, and yet so little is publicized about her!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 9:54 pm

Prince Phillip's sister is the most interesting character but her name/legacy have been erased from history.

Why...well have a look at her best friend who attended her wedding

She met an untimely demise prior to WWII and guess who was guest of honour at her state Nazi funeral!

In case you are wondering Phillip is the young man with the blonde hair watching his sister's admirers give her a "heil Hitler"