Grad School... How do Aspies get approved for accom?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

yooniyo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2021, 1:15 pm

Hi!
New here. Glad I found this place!
So I'm moving for grad school this fall. Been frustrated about getting housing accommodation for my cat as an emotional support animal...
As an Aspie I never requested any "disability services" bc my condition does really not interfere with my daily life. I do not have problems going through life unless I have to seriously socialize, then I get anxious and exhausted among other things.
I also never had problems finding housing with my cat. Now this new grad school has a no pet policy for their housing. I wonder if it's time to get my cat registered as an emotional support animal because I do need her for my emotional and mental health.
I don't want to come off as if I wanted to "cheat" the disability service at the school, and I want to do it properly. but when Asperger's is not commonly recognized and can hardly get diagnosed, I'm not sure what's the right way to approach it. (I'm self-diagnosed and working on getting professionally diagnosed rn)
Has anyone here with Asperger's had experience with getting emotional support animals approved for housing?
Thank you!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:37 pm

If you have documentation that helps. If you do not have documentation or no recent documentation you may need to get reevaluated. Contact the person who did your original evaluation and ask them if they can do the re-evaluation and if not if they can recommend someone they trust.
If you don't know how to contact disability services at a school you already go to talk to Admissions or Registrar and explain what you want to do - they will tell you who to contact.
If you are getting ready to go to Grad school you can also get accommodations for the GRE. I just answered some questions about that on a List Serv that I participate in.
It also helps to know WHAT ACCOMMODATIONS you want. In many cases if you don't ask, you don't get.