I have anxiety/phobia when riding in a car

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2021, 9:40 pm

(side note, I am in my 30's and cannot drive).

When riding in a car, truck or van on the road I get very scared. I have anxiety and panic about being enclosed in a small area going down the highway really fast. If someone opens a window I have a panic, if someone were to open a sunroof I would start to cry and hyperventilate, wanting the car to stop so I can run away from being in it.

I have this irrational phobia that I am going to be sucked out of the car or that the wind is going to take the car up into the sky.

However, when I am in a big rv (motorhome not one that is pulled) I am fine. It took me after the first time to get used to being in a motorhome to not ever be scared. I can even lay down and be fine, as long as im on my side and not looking up.
Also, riding in any vehicle around town doesn't bother me as long as no one opens any windows. Riding down a wooded area in a large van with the window down is fine for me too. I can hold my hand out and feel the wind. but once we get on the highway even if its the same speed, I have to raise the window up.
The smaller the vehicle, as well as the closer to the front windshield, the more anxiety I have. There is a lot of room between me and the windshield in our old van, but our newer one I am closer, when in the passenger seat.

Riding in a backseat I am fine at all times as long as no one opens a window or sunroof.

I one day need to fly in a plane & that scares me. I feel I might have a full on heart attack if I go on a plane and go up into the air or feel turbulence.

Would any type of anxiety pills help with any of this? I have never taken anything for my anxiety. I have other anxiety moments but I'll make another thread for that this weekend.

I am hesitant about anxiety medication because I do not think it would help me, that my anxiety is too great...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:46 pm

GreenRanger06 wrote:
I am hesitant about anxiety medication because I do not think it would help me, that my anxiety is too great...
That sounds like it itself could be an effect of overall anxiety.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 7:40 am

Have you tried walking around in a strong wind to get used to moving air? Jump, and see how far you go. How about trying some "training rides?" Tighten your seat belt, and see how much you can raise your comfortable speed if it is done gradually, and under your control. I used to love sticking my arm out the window, and using my hand like a wing. It never made me feel light on my seat.

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2021, 7:01 am

Dear_one wrote:
Have you tried walking around in a strong wind to get used to moving air? Jump, and see how far you go. How about trying some "training rides?" Tighten your seat belt, and see how much you can raise your comfortable speed if it is done gradually, and under your control. I used to love sticking my arm out the window, and using my hand like a wing. It never made me feel light on my seat.

Standing outside in the wind has nothing to do with it. I can stand in the wind all day, no problem. It's when I am in a vehicle. If it is a dense area.. trees...buildings.. etc.. I am better, especially if we aren't going 60 mph.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 7:36 am

GreenRanger06 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Standing outside in the wind has nothing to do with it. I can stand in the wind all day, no problem. It's when I am in a vehicle. If it is a dense area.. trees...buildings.. etc.. I am better, especially if we aren't going 60 mph.

Do you want to change, or just report?

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2021, 2:06 pm

Dear_one wrote:
GreenRanger06 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Do you want to change, or just report?

change but I am saying maybe I was not clear in my OP. Standing outside in high wind doesn't do anything or make me feel anxiety.

I do sometimes feel it when I am in a big pool & I feel out of control of myself due to the water. So maybe it has something to do with being in something moving..despite when I am in a motorhome it doesnt make me feel that way.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 2:47 pm

The way to get over a phobia is to explore the limits of what you find tolerable. The more time you spend at the limit, the farther it recedes. The motor home may give you enough non-moving things to see to avoid your triggers, or it may be something about the quality of the ride. I am usually fine, but an hour in the back of a car with bad dampers on a winding, bumpy road made me nauseous for a day. If you try to jump and body-sail in a strong wind, your constant failures may reassure you generally. If you fly a big two-line kite, it could lift you off, and show you what a poor sail you are without it.