Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 1:28 am

Quote:
ABC ‘goes rogue’ with ‘fake editing’ of twerking dance
18/04/2021|5min

The ABC has sunk to “previously unfathomable new depths” over its “fake editing” of the controversial dance performance at the latest commissioning of Australia’s naval vessel, according to Sky News Rowan Dean.

The twerking routine drew widespread publicity and a political uproar after the ABC spliced footage of Governor-General David Hurley and Chief of Navy Michael Noonan into the coverage although the two men were not present at the performance.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the performers both expressed their disappointment with the misleading coverage.

101 Doll Squadrons' Maya Sheridan wrote, "you deliberately shot our crotches from an angle which nobody else saw that were in attendance. Your worldwide public upskirting of our troupe has left us distressed and shamed”.

The ABC has since apologised but Mr Dean said the point of the incident was the national broadcaster “doctored real life news footage to create a false impression of an event”.

“This is third world dictator stuff. Worse, it demeaned the women involved and embarrassed the navy”.

“The ABC is now a billion dollar a year proven purveyor of fake news, a rogue activist group working against the interests of the Australian taxpayer”.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... ng%20dance

viewtopic.php?t=396209#p8766796

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 1:37 am

I'll say here what I said over at Aircraft Resource Center model building forum,

I would ask whether the ADF, a government department, did the smartest thing in hiring the dancers as this from Reuters states they did ...
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-04-15/

Quote:
The ABC report cut between shots showing the dancers and a crowd of dignitaries including Governor-General David Hurley, Queen Elizabeth's representative in Australia. However, Hurley had not arrived at the time of the routine, a spokesman for the Australian Defence Force said.

The dance troupe, which the ADF said was hired as part of its engagement with the local community, were critical of the ABC, saying the report was "deceptive" and they were hurt and disappointed by their portrayal and resulting controversy.

"The media which purports to support women have been the most virulent," the troupe said in a statement.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he was disappointed over the "misreporting" that had misled people.

and

Ya know, the people who form a leadership most likely originate within, are raised within, exist within, a culture, and most likely absorb that culture's values ...
https://www.9news.com.au/national/navy- ... 770cfb93f6

Quote:
Senator Jacqui Lambie, who formerly served with the Army, told Today the decision was an "absolute shocker".

"Good on those young ladies for getting out there, but I tell you, being half-clothed outside a warship is probably inappropriate," she said.

"If that is the leadership in our defence forces, God help our sons and daughters who are serving."

So, it's like,
"We're from the government and we're going to hire them but How Dare You Associate Us With Them!"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 1:52 am

^

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 1:59 am

Alright, what I'm seeing here is;

A government department hired the dancers

A government department approved the dancers

A government department made sure that government officials would not be present with the government hired and government approved dancers

That seems to me to be the real story here

Over and above the news editing with a spoonful of 'artistic license'.

(I had radio and TV broadcasting classes in college in early 1980s and trust me, news outlets were "artistically licensing" their editing even then)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 2:01 am

Pepe wrote:
^

Seriously :?:
That, content "The dance troupe, which the ADF said was hired as part of its engagement with the local community, were critical of the ABC, saying the report was "deceptive" and they were hurt and disappointed by their portrayal and resulting controversy." is "off topic" in a topic titled, "ABC ‘Goes Rogue’ With ‘Fake Editing’ Of Twerking Dance" :?:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 2:14 am

Quote:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Apr 2021, 8:31 am

Pepe, kitesandtrainsandcats' point is entirely on-topic.

Also in future, please use the built-in tags to indicate off-topic material -

Code:
[offtopic]Example message[/offtopic]
displays as

Off Topic
Example message

"Example message" can be literal text or a quote of a post.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 11:55 pm

Quote:
The ABC has apologised for misleading viewers over its coverage of the Navy’s twerking controversy after Prime Minister Scott Morrison labelled it as dishonest and disrespectful.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 3:50 am

Not the finest moment from the ABC editorial staff but hardly an indictment on the ABC as a whole.

The military hiring scantily dressed dancing girls did raise a few eyebrows.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 4:52 am

Quote:
7NEWS Australia

A female dance group's risqué performance at the commissioning of a new Royal Australian Navy ship is under attack as inappropriate. But one video of the dance that was widely circulated by the ABC was heavily edited. The broadcaster now being slammed for misleading their audience.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 6:56 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
7NEWS Australia

A female dance group's risqué performance at the commissioning of a new Royal Australian Navy ship is under attack as inappropriate. But one video of the dance that was widely circulated by the ABC was heavily edited. The broadcaster now being slammed for misleading their audience.

The ABC is the national broadcaster. Despite the Libs fantasising about privatising/shutting the ABC down it ain't going to happen.

The conservatives have been trying to cancel the ABC for some time, somewhat ironic.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 7:36 am

Cornflake wrote:

I'm curious about the reasoning used to come to that opinion, considering:

Subject:
Quote:

Responce:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
I would ask whether the ADF, a government department, did the smartest thing in hiring the dancers as this from Reuters states they did

In order to be "on-topic", wouldn't the responce would have to address the subject of the thread, rather than heading off on a tangent as the reply appeared to be doing?

I'm trying to work out how a post about the selection of the entertainment for the event fits into the subject of the thread, namely how the ABC presented the event...

It does seem unlikely that the "our" ABC (which tends to dislike conservative governments, and favor left-leaning ones), would accidentally splice footage together in the way that it did, taking items from different sections of the timeline for the event and merging them, as occurred here, in a way that would suggest to their audience that they were presenting the event chronologically.

Given the dancing was merely some entertainment for the audience while waiting for the dignitaries to arrive and the formal events to occur - much like concerts have "warm up" acts prior to the main event - and would have ceased prior to the actual ceremony, its actual significance to the event would be minimal at best, and normally not worthy of reporting on\presenting\attention from those not present for it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 7:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:
7NEWS Australia

The ABC is the national broadcaster. Despite the Libs fantasising about privatising/shutting the ABC down it ain't going to happen.

The conservatives have been trying to cancel the ABC for some time, somewhat ironic.

Well, they certainly aren't doing anything to convince the conservatives to change their mind, are they, with this event...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Apr 2021, 7:55 am

Brictoria wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Subject:
Quote:

Responce:
I would ask whether the ADF, a government department, did the smartest thing in hiring the dancers as this from Reuters states they did

In order to be "on-topic", wouldn't the responce would have to address the subject of the thread, rather than heading off on a tangent as the reply appeared to be doing?

I'm trying to work out how a post about the selection of the entertainment for the event fits into the subject of the thread, namely how the ABC presented the event...
It's intimately related to the topic in that there would be no thread here at all if a government department hadn't hired the dancers in the first place.
"On-topic" does not explicitly exclude closely related discussion points or closely related items of interest; kitesandtrainsandcats' post, addressing a wider yet closely related issue, is therefore on-topic.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:44 pm

Brictoria wrote:

Subject:
Quote:

Responce:

:thumright:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 6:16 pm

Going rogue Sarah Palin style?

going rogue definition