Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2021, 8:50 pm

Hi!

What books or other resources have helped you to acquire social skills?

My purpose is to create a list about this topic that can serve anyone.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 6:39 am

Not a book, but an online resource containing many articles that some people here may find helpful: the Succeed Socially website by Chris McLeod.

The author has also written a book, The Social Skills Guidebook: Manage Shyness, Improve Your Conversations, and Make Friends, Without Giving Up Who You Are.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2021, 8:37 pm

My therapist is a big fan of socialthinking.com. There are some good resources there.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm

Jarvis clutch social spy. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegy. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Etiquette by Emily Post. Dating for Dummies. Flirting for Dummies.

The Dale Carnegy one was the most helpful for me.

Also - read any biography or autobiography. Real Life is a good way to learn about life.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:10 am

Thought: books aren't people. Social Skills are about people, not about books. So
Books can help but you cannot learn social skills unless you are dealing with real people - at least some of the time.
I sometimes thing "Social Media" is a contradiction in terms.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2021, 1:09 am

It's tough, because autistic people get social situations in theory, but not in practice. That's me, at least. I was told I'd have to learn by making mistakes. Every person and scenario is going to be different, and all you can hope for are just nice people out there who will be accepting of you.
I've always been pleasant and courteous, but there's more. There's walking away when things aren't good.
You can't possibly detail every situation out there and spell it out for educational purposes.
I'm high functioning, basic interactions were never an issue. I was always too trusting.