Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lucinda57
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2021, 1:32 am

I have always gotten car sick as a child. I can get car sickness now but it has changed somewhat. Even if I dont get sick at all I almost always feel like I need to shut down after a long car trip. My brain will shut my body down and I will sleep for a long period of time. I am also confused and very cold. Could this be do to too much visual stimulation? Do other individuals experience this?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 3:55 am

I don't get it myself. It could be or the movement which could be dissorienting you. What are you like on a train?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:00 am

I had something similar after my first stroke because I wasn't allowed to drive for four years, and I had to be a passenger. As a passenger I got very overstimulated by motion sickness, the sound and motion of wiper blades in the rain, and I couldn't tolerate anyone putting the radio on. Human voices on the news, traffic, or weather reports made me dizzy and feel misophonia. Night drives were especially bad with the bright lights in my face.

After one long journey as a passenger I was so overwhelmed I opened the door and literally fell onto the ground. I was too shaky and stressed to stand up properly. I had been crying the whole ride because it was raining and the wiper blades drove me mad. I was in shutdown for a long time after that trip.

Now that I'm finally driving again and I'm in control, I feel better.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I had something similar after my first stroke because I wasn't allowed to drive for four years, and I had to be a passenger. As a passenger I got very overstimulated by motion sickness, the sound and motion of wiper blades in the rain, and I couldn't tolerate anyone putting the radio on. Human voices on the news, traffic, or weather reports made me dizzy and feel misophonia. Night drives were especially bad with the bright lights in my face.

After one long journey as a passenger I was so overwhelmed I opened the door and literally fell onto the ground. I was too shaky and stressed to stand up properly. I had been crying the whole ride because it was raining and the wiper blades drove me mad. I was in shutdown for a long time after that trip.

Now that I'm finally driving again and I'm in control, I feel better.

I can't use the radio while I am driving unless I have very long straight motorways to drive on so all I have to do it keep the car pointed straight ahead and cruise. I do not really like using motorways though.

I can't use satnavs at all and I have never had one. I seem to have quite a delay at processing the information while I am focussed on driving, so I will still be processing the first instruction when several more come my way. It is better if I ask "Shall I turn off here?" and I get a simple "Yes" or "No" reply and otherwize all is quiet.

I also get difficulty with trying to drive with my young nieces and nephews in the car as they can often talk or moan etc at once, and I can't do two things at once.

I am very focussed at driving, as I will be constantly looking at my speed and everything else I need to do.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 7:02 pm

I can get car sick just from watching dash cam video, or shaky hand-held camera footage. In a car, I'm fine as a front-seat passenger provided I don't try much map-reading or otherwise take my eyes off the road. The ride quality matters a lot, too. Good dampers with a fairly firm ride are fine. Soft springs and wallowing produce seasickness. A good vehicle will have nearly the same frequency in bounce, pitch and roll, and minimise them fairly well.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:13 pm

I get the brain's visual vs body's sense of movement thing.

I may or may not be prone to car sickness or something similar.
Yet my first reaction to even a bit of nausea was to will myself into equilibrium and not vomit. :lol: Unless I'm sick enough to unable to.
Yet it doesn't scare nor deter me.

I usually have this weird thing about motion and subtle movements.
Partially it is autism, and partially because my sinuses messed something up with my ears.
Overall, it was likely just another form of sensory overstimulation.

I do not mind fast, wild, bumpy and extreme rides. Heck, I don't even mind that one time when my sense of balance went out of whack.

Yet I get a bit off when it's subtle, micro movement like vibrations.
Even if it's not even on a moving vehicle, like, say, a shaking table or chair.

Also relevant yet weird; for some weird reason, I cannot play minecraft without feeling sick after 5-10 minutes of playing. :?
Yet I have no issues watching others play.
I also had less issues playing other first person camera games -- at least not as bad as minecraft.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 19 Apr 2021, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:17 pm

Good point, Edna. I love rollercoasters and can tolerate them at high speed or even upside down. For me I think it's because cars have sounds and you see the motion of travel more than in a rollercoaster. It's also overwhelming seeing so many other cars going in many directions, potentially hitting you, and having to multitask by talking to people while having the sensory bombardment. I'm OK when I drive the car (the rule is, "If I drive, I get to pick the music") and most of the time I drive alone. I'm more in control than when I'm a passenger.

Dear_one, I also agree about being in the back seat of a car. That's a good distinction. That's the absolute worst.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 9:35 pm

I always had car sickness when I was a child, I used to try and read in the car and it made me ill.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

I used to get car sick all the time. Then we figured out that I did not get car sick in the dark. I started wearing dark glasses and the problem went away. It seems my visual processing is only 25th percentile( I did not learn this until recent neurological testing with diagnosis) and that I simply can not process things I see in motion, especially not the fast motion of a car (or things like rides at a fair, etc... urp!). By wearing dark glasses I seem to be blocking a lot of the peripheral flashing and images that go too fast for me. I look straight ahead now at the center of the road, even when I am a passenger and always wear my sunglasses. I still get car sick/ motion sick, but not nearly as often. I am worse in cars, trains, planes, bus, etc etc where I am unfamiliar with the motion. The family car is better over time, as if some "setting" inside me eventually adjusts itself. Of course hill country or lots of fast turns and stops are still pretty difficult. I never travel in a vehicle for "fun". There is just no fun in it!! !

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm

PS I can not watch videos or movies that change perspective and view frequently, or rapid changes of scene... youtube videos almost always make me motion sick within the first minute... I have pretty much given up any sort of "active motion" viewing... my sensory processing for that stuff is useless so why waste my time, effort, and get sick on top of it all anyways???

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson