Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:36 am

What does Wikipedia mean that Asperger syndrome was known as childhood schizoid disorder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 12:13 pm

This is just a guess based on what I know about some of the history of autism vs schizophrenia spectrum conditions. There can be overlap in some of the symptoms of autism and schizophrenia and related disorders and the difference between the two has not always been well understood. In fact, autism was once called childhood or infantile schizophrenia. It was back when autism wasn't well understood and it was observed that children (who we know understand to have an autism spectrum condition) would present with similar symptoms to adults with schizophrenia such as differences in emotional regulation and processing, difficulties with social interactions, a flat affect, monotone voice, atypical use of language etc. I also wonder if people would observe a child freaking out over apparently nothing (but really reacting to a small change or sensory trigger) and assume that the child was reacting to something that wasn't actually there, i.e. a hallucination.

My guess about Asperger's once being called childhood schizoid disorder is that there can be an overlap in how the symptoms present. In Schizoid Personality Disorder a person doesn't show emotion and is disengaged and uninterested in things, particularly in having social relationships and they might be weak at understanding social cues. Some people with higher functioning autism and Asperger's can appear the same way but the root cause might be different. For instance, many people with autism are interested in having social relationships but just not know how to relate to people well or understand social interactions. Asperger's can also come with difficulties understanding and processing emotions and displaying emotions but this isn't necessarily from a lack of emotions like what can happen in Schizoid Personality Disorder.

Also a difference between the two conditions as we define them today is that autism spectrum disorders including Asperger's are lifelong beginning in early childhood (though a person's symptoms might go unnoticed well into adulthood) but personality disorders like Schizoid Personality Disorder typically don't really present until adolescence or early adulthood.

Again some of this is just my educated guesses, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is what the DSM 5 says about the difference between Schizoid Personality Disorder and Autism:

Quote:
There may be great difficulty differentiating individuals with schizoid personality disorder from those with milder forms of autism spectrum disorder, which may be differentiated by more severely impaired social interaction and stereotyped behaviors and interests.

Edit: Here's a link to an abstract about the difference between autism and Schizoid Personality Disorder https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... 9089882A13

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 1:52 pm

That is a perfect answer. Thank you!