The 6 Ft Tall White Guy Syndrome

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 2:35 pm

Statistics only tell you about groups - they can never tell you anything about an individual.

Go to the library or Amazon or ebay and get a copy of "Dating for Dummies" and "Flirting for Dummies" if you read both books and find nothing useful you are not really any worse off. You have at least confirmed that you know the basics. If you find something helpful you are on the road to self-improvement.

I used to think I was ugly and that was why I didn't have any luck with dating. Then I realized something. I had a brother. He and I looked so much alike people who knew him well (like his co-workers at the college book store) sometimes mistook me for him. So - since he frequently dated - I had eventually to decide that it must be "something else".

Where to meet people after college: I met my wife through mutual friends. We took "back to school" classes in dancing at a local High School (they had a bunch of these classes like "Star Gazing" and "Basic Painting" - we took Ball Room Dancing and Latin Dancing . . . a bunch of them - we also signed up for classes at a dance studio near the supermarket.

Swing dancing was also popular at the time - we would sometimes go to a "Swing Dance" with friends - it was fun.
Dancing is a good thing for someone like me with awkward social skills - a lot of the rules are very explicitly stated - so are the times of the dances. A lot of the guess work was taken out. Some kinds of dances are especially designed for meeting people. When I was in college I did a lot of "Contra Dancing" which my roommate roped me into. It is a bit like Square Dancing or English Country Dancing. If you do it properly you have danced with every girl in the room by the end of the night. If you like to work out - it might be for you. Very Physical. My room mate actually met his girlfriend at one of these dances. My cousin married a girl he met this way.

Taking night classes and going to dances are two ways to meet people without going to bars or big noisy parties.

Here is another trick - every time you meet someone who is married - ask them how many years - then ask "how did you meet?". You can learn a lot from just talking to people. Pay special attention to the people married the longest.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
threetoed snail wrote:
Clearly physical attributes are not everything.

Well it’s true, certain physical attributes can limit your dating success. Looks definitely matter and anybody who tells you otherwise is lying or clearly misinformed.

[...]

There is definitely privilege in being attractive. Attractiveness privilege is real.

Yes, attractiveness privilege is real, but it's not the be-all and end-all. There are ways to work around it. There are ways to meet people in contexts where other things are more important than looks.

rabo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2021, 5:24 pm

I am white, more than 6ft tall, people even say I am good looking and did not see any advantage in that. I miss other qualities women (statistically) like. Rich, funny, good family... So what? I have special interests that are not considered to be interesting. I do not like to talk a lot... (how boring...) Nevertheless, I am married and lucky. I know others that have three dates a week and they are unlucky.

My hint: Forget all that stuff you read on Tinder and Facebook. Go to real life! A "6 Ft Tall White Guy Syndrome" exists only in stupid TV serials.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 8:32 am

magz wrote:
[...] I guess you wouldn't have even noticed the college me, anyway ... A short-haired, nerdy, glasses-wearing girl in second hand clothes... not feeling bad about any of these and enjoying my friendships and hobbies.
Funny ... that describes most of the women I dated while in college.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.