Anyone learning Japanese or another language?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Makr
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2021, 1:37 am

Hi, I'm new here. I'm probably on the spectrum somewhere, never been to a doctor though. I have crippling social anxiety and I don't conversate well, also I have Tourette's.

Anywho, just curious if any of you all are learning a foreign language? Perhaps Japanese? 今までどう? It's been hard for me but I've been obsessed with it for 2 years, so now I can watch a lot of anime/dramas and play a lot of games without putting any effort in to understand it. I'm starting to get to a pretty decent level but I haven't really talked to anyone Japanese, just mainly random chats on Omegle or Chatpad via text. So it's kind of weird, not sure if I could hold an audible conversation or not. That's pretty normal if you're doing the AJATT method/input before output immersion type learning, maybe not for this long though. Overall it's just a fun hobby that's taken over my life. I'd like to go to Japan at some point, but for now I'm content enjoying Japanese media. Is it weird to learn a language and not use it to communicate with humans?

とにかく誰かも日本語を勉強しているなら、ぜひ連絡してくださいね

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 2:20 am

I learned Spanish in high school, when I took tests in Spanish, I couldn’t understand it, I could speak Spanish, but I can’t understand it on paper, LOL. I learned some French from TV. My ex-friend decades ago, taught me Portuguese.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 2:56 am

I've studied French on-and-off for about twenty years. I know it well enough such that I sort of half study (learn new words and try to improve listening comprehension) and half just use it (I have textbooks written in French).

I kind of use Spanish but don't really study it; just read what I can and look up a few new words here and there.

I've studied German for the past 6 months or so, but I've stopped for a while, and I'm thinking of quitting.

I've started studying arabic, not sure I'll continue because getting good study materials is so difficult. Once I have a hundred bucks to spare, I might get the Dari textbook I've been wanting so I can start studying that.

I considered Japanese in the past, but it seems that would be a waste of energy because it's rather difficult to learn for an English speaker and because there isn't a ton of Japanese content, especially since I don't like stuff like anime and manga.

I'm thinking in the near future I'll just continue building up my French skills and focus on Persian languages and maybe Modern Standard Arabic.

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2021, 4:10 am

I guess I still do learn English (2nd language). I did commit and start to learn Japanese 3 years ago, but my burnout and ptsd struck fully so my ability to remember, keep a workflow, learn just disappeared.
There are groups of Japanese that try to learn English and in return teach Japanese to English speakers, I seem to remember, go look for it.
Reading is not the same as learning a language but a good start, so much decoding information is in timbre, emotion, tone etc etc. I think is awesome that you have gotten this far :)

How odd, I have forgotten all the katakana/hiragana but some words still are there :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:46 am

I have been studying Chinese (Mandarin) for about 2 years now - but the coronavirus has seriously disrupted my learning schedule.

I'm starting up attending a private class (this afternoon, actually) after my official classes got cancelled due to corona, but so far my written skills significantly surpass my oral skills. Right now, I can (mostly) read more than 500 Chinese characters... but I wouldn't know how to hail a cab in Chinese in real life.

Perhaps something like 请问,司机!我 能 租 你的 出租车 吗?

I have been able to study writing with online apps even during the lockdown, but learning to speak Chinese with someone really requires one to... well, speak Chinese with someone.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:20 am

I started learning English when I was eight, and am quite good at that now, at least when it comes to writing and reading. I studied a little Swedish at school in my teens, but since I never had a chance to use it anywhere at the time outside of class and didn't self study after I graduated, I've forgotten pretty much everything. I can tell my name and remember some words, but that's it.

I took my first course in Japanese 11 years ago, and after that have been studying on and off, but since I can't get the basics down I don't really get anywhere with that. Yes, even after 11 years, I'm still that bad and can't even tell what the first message says. I mean, I can recognize the kana and the kanji for "Nihongo", Japanese language, but due to not knowing the other kanjis, I can't tell what the sentence means. The first kanji used at the very beginning is for "ima" meaning "now", if I remember correctly, so the first thing written in Japanese is "ima made dou" which I think would mean something along the lines of "how about now?" And the last text is something along the lines of "Anyway *something* Japanese language *something* please?" Am I on the right track? :)

Anyway, I find it amazing that you've gotten that good in just two years. Did you take courses or is it all due to self study? I've taken several courses but can't seem to get anywhere; my biggest problem is with forming actual sentences. Understanding what others say is easier than speaking myself. I'd also like to go to Japan, and my plan is to go for a language course there at some point. Makes it a little tricky that those tend to be in English, which I don't have much practice speaking, but I think I'd manage. The original plan I had was to go during autumn next year, but I planned to get some practice for traveling on my own before it, yet covid messed that plan up so I'm not that sure anymore.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:22 am

I'd be curious in learning Abenaki, every month the band newsletter includes a bit of vocabulary but without anyone to use it with it's hard to actually develop any fluency.

I sometimes try to act like I know French to see how far I get. Generally not very far despite 10 years of it in school.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2021, 11:11 am

I'm constantly learning English I guess. I've been about to be about to be about to be about to start learning Japanese for a couple of years now. Someday maybe I actually will, but I think that will probably only happen once there are actual travel plans involved.

I've tried a few times to start learning Spanish in a more structured way, because it's the one foreign language besides English that I'll probably actually use regularly at some point in the future, but it's ironically hard, because... it's too easy. With the exception of a few words here and there, I can read it just fine. So it's too boring to go through all the basics and all, because if you speak Portuguese you already know the basics. But I still can't speak Spanish, because I don't usually know if a word or phrase in Portuguese is the same in Spanish or not. It's particularly tricky because there are a lot of words that actually are shared between the two languages but have conflicting meanings. Too much potential for blunders.

Kitty4670 wrote:
My ex-friend decades ago, taught me Portuguese.

Legal! Você lembra alguma coisa ou a memória já enferrujou desde lá? :)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:16 am

はじめまして! ようこそ wp へ!

I am also studying Japanese on my own via Duolingo. I really enjoy the visual aspect and learning different kanji! I started teaching myself last year before my trip to Japan.
Since then i am still studying.

I have been a big fan of Japanese culture and anime and language for years also.

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2021, 8:05 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
I'm constantly learning English I guess. I've been about to be about to be about to be about to start learning Japanese for a couple of years now. Someday maybe I actually will, but I think that will probably only happen once there are actual travel plans involved.

I've tried a few times to start learning Spanish in a more structured way, because it's the one foreign language besides English that I'll probably actually use regularly at some point in the future, but it's ironically hard, because... it's too easy. With the exception of a few words here and there, I can read it just fine. So it's too boring to go through all the basics and all, because if you speak Portuguese you already know the basics. But I still can't speak Spanish, because I don't usually know if a word or phrase in Portuguese is the same in Spanish or not. It's particularly tricky because there are a lot of words that actually are shared between the two languages but have conflicting meanings. Too much potential for blunders.

Kitty4670 wrote:

Yes, its the same as between Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. Islandic is hard to understand but possible to read, and Finnish is on a different language branch altogether.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2021, 8:50 pm

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
Yes, its the same as between Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. Islandic is hard to understand but possible to read, and Finnish is on a different language branch altogether.

That's something that usually comes to mind when I think about it. There seems to be a lot of similarity between the Scandinavian language continuum and the Romance language continuum (especially Portuguese, Spanish and Italian). It's interesting to see it confirmed by a native Scandinavian speaker. :)

It seems that the main difference is that regional Scandinavian dialects still coexist more or less on the same level with each other (from what I've been told), while Romance languages have become much more centralized, with regional languages and dialects generally going the way of the dodo.

SakuraPhoto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2021, 9:22 pm

はい!私は日本語の学生1年生です。そして、話すのはまだ出来ないよ。はなすのはすこしだけです。でも、日本語を楽しいと思います。

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:24 pm

Gaffer Gragz wrote:
threetoed snail wrote:

Kitty4670 wrote:

Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are related but don't look very mutually intelligible.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2021, 9:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are related but don't look very mutually intelligible.

Estonian actually seems pretty similar to Finnish. I think when I asked my Finnish friend about it, she said that the two languages did have some level of mutual intelligibility. Maybe like Portuguese and Catalan (similar pronunciation unlike Spanish, some shared vocabulary, but hard to understand). Hungarian though, yeah, it's related but only very distantly. Like, say, Russian and Persian (same broader language family, but... :)).

Another related language is Sami. I remember I saw a short clip of someone speaking Sami once (can't find it now), and it sounded like a dialect of Finnish (like the general rhythm, the double consonants and the long vowels). My friend said she couldn't understand anything though.

Last edited by threetoed snail on 20 Apr 2021, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:46 pm

I've been trying to improve my Spanish, but now that I am back in school,
I may not have much time as I used to.

As for other languages, I may try to take an ASL class this summer.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:49 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Estonian actually seems pretty similar to Finnish. I think when I asked my Finnish friend about it, she said that the two languages did have some level of mutual intelligibility. Maybe like Portuguese and Catalan (similar pronunciation unlike Spanish, some shared vocabulary, but hard to understand). Hungarian though, yeah, it's related but only very distantly. Like, say, Russian and Persian (same broader language family, but... :)).

Another related language is Sami. I remember I saw a short clip of someone speaking Sami once (can't find it now), and it sounded like a dialect of Finnish (like the general rhythm, the double consonants and the long vowels). My friend said she couldn't understand anything though.

Awesome, I knew Estonian was more similar visually but it still looked pretty different. That's interesting but not surprising about Sami though.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う