Page 1 of 10 [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:14 am

The best mulch in my city is from this hippy place with a sign outside that says something like "If you are a racist bigot homophobe we do not want your business". I am none of those but I do support Trump so I still felt like they meant me anyway. But their mulch is the best and I wanted it.

So I go in and there are men in the back talking about a person being brain dead on life suport. Okay. Not my business. A woman comes out and takes my order. I'm almost done. Then the men's voices raise and one shouts, "And if I ever f@#$ing SEE a conservative looking person..." and then he trails off, I assume implying some kind of violence??? My eyes must have widened, and I became very aware of my Carhart hat. The woman looked embarrassed and apologized for her son's language. She said he'd deliver the mulch to my house shortly.

I dashed home, took down my American flag, and hid my car with the NRA sticker on it.

Maybe I'm not a true "patriot" or whatever, but I intend to continue to buy from those weird violent people. However, in the future I will do a better job at concealing myself.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:43 am

The "Tolerant" Left.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:45 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
The best mulch in my city is from this hippy place with a sign outside that says something like "If you are a racist bigot homophobe we do not want your business". I am none of those but I do support Trump so ...
... bigotry by proxy is still bigotry.

People who support bigots of any kind (i.e., ableist, nationalist, racist, sexist, et cetera) are supporting bigotry.

"I am not a bigot" carries no weight when the people saying so also admit to supporting bigots.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:45 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
The "Tolerant" Left.
The insidiously snarky Right.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:27 am

The local Christian book store that I shop at has a classified ad book for local Christian owned business. You might want to look in your local area to see if there is such a thing. Vote with your dollars.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:40 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
The "Tolerant" Left.

There are intolerant jerks both on the left and the right. Usually they tend to be intolerant of different things, though.

For example, I know some from the far left who have no trouble talking about how they'd like to practice this and that violence on supporters of certain political parties (where I'm from we have many), and ones who say that everyone who eat meat are murderers etc. Interestingly, I also know a left leaning Christian who is against gay marriage and doesn't marry her partner of over 30 years because she considers marriage to be "holy" and doesn't want to marry unless she's hundred percent sure it won't end to a divorce. She doesn't consider sex out of wedlock to be wrong though and has a son with that man...

Then, I know people from the right who fit the stereotypical right wing jerk: come from farms, consider sexual minorities to be "wrong", think that a woman's place is in the kitchen (though to be fair, the losers I know are at least smart enough to not be direct about this one anymore) etc. I also know people who admit to supporting parties on the right, but don't fit the stereotype at all.

Like I said, questionable folks can be found from both ends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 9:50 am

Well there is no reason to support trump if you aren't any of those things...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 10:09 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
The "Tolerant" Left.

There are intolerant jerks both on the left and the right. Usually they tend to be intolerant of different things, though.

For example, I know some from the far left who have no trouble talking about how they'd like to practice this and that violence on supporters of certain political parties (where I'm from we have many), and ones who say that everyone who eat meat are murderers etc. Interestingly, I also know a left leaning Christian who is against gay marriage and doesn't marry her partner of over 30 years because she considers marriage to be "holy" and doesn't want to marry unless she's hundred percent sure it won't end to a divorce. She doesn't consider sex out of wedlock to be wrong though and has a son with that man...

Then, I know people from the right who fit the stereotypical right wing jerk: come from farms, consider sexual minorities to be "wrong", think that a woman's place is in the kitchen (though to be fair, the losers I know are at least smart enough to not be direct about this one anymore) etc. I also know people who admit to supporting parties on the right, but don't fit the stereotype at all.

Like I said, questionable folks can be found from both ends.

That is true for sure, I mean if you really want to see some toxic lefties look no further than the sub-reddit 'female dating strategy' on reddit. That place is disgusting and people there seem just as bad as Qanon MAGAs but they'd probably claim to be lefty feminists for example. The left is not collectively flawless that is for damn sure and there are a lot of like different left groups that don't all agree.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 10:39 am

Look as someone who was once discriminated against publicly for being with my Muslim family in public and as someone who knows what it feels like when no one on WP stuck up for me back then I won't let that happen again here. You had no right to be treated that way and I'm sorry you faced such discrimination. I'm not going to lie to you here and say I dont have my biases against Trump and some of his supporters; however in the end of the day all life is sacred, even that of the Trump supporters I disagree with, and thus all life deserves to be respected, honored and given love, and that includes you and other Trump supporters.

When I was discriminated in public last year for being at a restaurant with my Muslim family I felt hurt when no one on WP stuck up for me, and I promised myself then that if someone else came forward feeling hurt and wronged I would stand up for them no matter what.

Master Oogway

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:02 am

salad wrote:
Look as someone who was once discriminated against publicly for being with my Muslim family in public and as someone who knows what it feels like when no one on WP stuck up for me back then I won't let that happen again here. You had no right to be treated that way and I'm sorry you faced such discrimination. I'm not going to lie to you here and say I dont have my biases against Trump and some of his supporters; however in the end of the day all life is sacred, even that of the Trump supporters I disagree with, and thus all life deserves to be respected, honored and given love, and that includes you and other Trump supporters.

When I was discriminated in public last year for being at a restaurant with my Muslim family I felt hurt when no one on WP stuck up for me, and I promised myself then that if someone else came forward feeling hurt and wronged I would stand up for them no matter what.

I'd stick up for you. Sorry I missed that.

Be careful not to allow the discrimination you feel to justify discriminating against others because of their race or religious beliefs. Everyone should be respected.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 11:48 am

The word tolerance implies disapproval.
Tolerance is deciding to accept that there are things in life that you don't like but will live with to maintain the peace.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:13 pm

If you see Joe Biden as corrupt and racist as I do, voting of not voting for Trump wasn't necessarily as straightforward as many in this thread make it out to be. Elections are often a matter of who people are voting against and not necessarily who they are voting for. This last US presidential election was a perfect example.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:29 pm

While it isn't the fault of every single Trump supporter, might the backlash they face be the result of adopting owning the libs as their greatest priority? Maybe making the rest of the country dislike you guys wasn't such a great strategy?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
While it isn't the fault of every single Trump supporter, might the backlash they face be the result of adopting owning the libs as their greatest priority? Maybe making the rest of the country dislike you guys wasn't such a great strategy?

You sound no different, and I mean literally no different, than the racist trash WP member {redacted} when last year I was complaining about discrimination I faced at a restaurant for my mom's birthday and he told me this:

"Muslims aren't a race so it wasn't racism but they were obviously disliking muslims. There are reasons for it. Many muslims don't socialize with other people (islam even requires it) they break social rules and treat women bad (Women aren't even allowed to dress like they want.). For this I understand if the waitress disliked them and didn't want to serve them. Sorry but people who are known for not caring the social rules aren't liked very well once they appear. Don't take it personal but realize that muslims don't have a good image."

I was very hurt last year when he told me that and I was even more hurt when no one stuck up for me on WP. I promised myself I wouldn't ever allow that to happen again even with Trump supporters.

Discriminating and hurting someone for their beliefs, whether political or religious, is horrible and shameful of you funeralxempire. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. How was what you said any different than what "quite an extreme" told me last year, you both are justifying hatred and discrimination against someone on account of the actions of a group of crazies that dont represent the entire group.

Master Oogway

Last edited by Cornflake on 20 Apr 2021, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Please don't publically attack named members.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 1:10 pm

I was at an event this weekend talking to an author who lives in my state. He pointed out that he disliked coming to my town because there were too many Christians and he can't stand Christians. I just dismissed the comment and continued our conversation. Sure I found it offensive but I'm not going to change the guy's mind by having a screaming tantrum about him being a "Bigot, Hater, Jingoist, ect" I was tolerant of his views, as offensive as they might be. Living in a civil society means encountering people with whom you will disagree.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 1:50 pm

salad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You sound no different, and I mean literally no different, than the racist trash WP member {redacted} when last year I was complaining about discrimination I faced at a restaurant for my mom's birthday and he told me this:

"Muslims aren't a race so it wasn't racism but they were obviously disliking muslims. There are reasons for it. Many muslims don't socialize with other people (islam even requires it) they break social rules and treat women bad (Women aren't even allowed to dress like they want.). For this I understand if the waitress disliked them and didn't want to serve them. Sorry but people who are known for not caring the social rules aren't liked very well once they appear. Don't take it personal but realize that muslims don't have a good image."

I was very hurt last year when he told me that and I was even more hurt when no one stuck up for me on WP. I promised myself I wouldn't ever allow that to happen again even with Trump supporters.

Discriminating and hurting someone for their beliefs, whether political or religious, is horrible and shameful of you funeralxempire. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. How was what you said any different than what "quite an extreme" told me last year, you both are justifying hatred and discrimination against someone on account of the actions of a group of crazies that dont represent the entire group.

He's a typical progressive and sometimes bashes Christians and Jews but not Muslims. I think you misunderstood.

His "you guys" was probably directed at me and others who don't align with his political worldview.