What if all neurotypical people disappeared?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,758
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

20 Apr 2021, 10:32 am

I imagine a quieter world.

A lot of systemic collapse -- since there are not enough people in the world to run those systems.

Lots and lots of spaces. :lol: Because majority of people are gone.

Nonfunctional types, enough to not able to live by themselves, would slowly die off either by starvation/dehydration or by accident if left alone lonf enough.
Faster, if their conditions are progressive, fatal, lots of comorbidities.

Moderately functioning types that are at least physically capable of basic tasks may survive.
Provided if they're not accident prone, too intellectually disabled or afraid to leave their limited environments.


The so called high functioning types may vary. :lol:
Those who had at least been able to function before NTs disappear would try to find 'survivors' and 'remake society'.

Those who aren't or cannot depends whether or not they'd leave their comfort spaces to survive.
Or pull stunts thinking this is heaven and since no one's telling them what to do, they do it. Or that they had a shot of ruling the world or something.

Others would be as independent possible, with little contact or involvement at remaking society. I'd choose to be one of these. :lol:


And since there are little to no social reinforcements AND antisocial acts that most populace had to worry about...

I could live and travel alone.
Surviving off from free stuff from the vacant properties until I get to learn how to produce or know how to harvest my own food. :twisted:
Maybe learn to drive by myself. Learn how to sail as plausible as I could.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,320
Location: U.S.A.

20 Apr 2021, 10:42 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Would we be stranded in a world run by the ADHD folk?! 8O


What's wrong with that? :lol:
I'm married to an ADHD gal. Best thing that ever happened to me. :heart:

But, "home" is not the relaxed, soothing, uncluttered, functional nirvana I long for.


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,592
Location: I'm right here

20 Apr 2021, 10:47 am

Double Retired wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Would we be stranded in a world run by the ADHD folk?! 8O


What's wrong with that? :lol:
I'm married to an ADHD gal. Best thing that ever happened to me. :heart:

But, "home" is not the relaxed, soothing, uncluttered, functional nirvana I long for.


Fair enough. Le désordre, c'est moi. :mrgreen:


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,807

20 Apr 2021, 2:00 pm

Am I the only one whose first thought on this and similar thought experiments is 'I would be heartbroken cos I would have just lost family and most people would be in the same boat'?

Pre transition that was esp how I felt about the men one. And how I'd feel now about cis guys all being wiped out.

If it was all humans then only pets would be heartbroken, I bet.


_________________
Not actually a girl
He/him


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,418
Location: temperate zone

20 Apr 2021, 2:06 pm

All the folks with executive skills disappearing?

Obviously society would collapse.



simonthesly74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 13 Jun 2020
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
Location: Michigan

20 Apr 2021, 2:09 pm

KT67 wrote:
Am I the only one whose first thought on this and similar thought experiments is 'I would be heartbroken cos I would have just lost family and most people would be in the same boat'?

Pre transition that was esp how I felt about the men one. And how I'd feel now about cis guys all being wiped out.

If it was all humans then only pets would be heartbroken, I bet.

I mean, yeah, if somehow there was magic that allowed 97% of the population to suddenly turn into dust, I would be devastated at the loss of all my family members and some of my friends. I wasn’t really thinking on an individual level when I wrote this however.



Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,758
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

20 Apr 2021, 2:51 pm

KT67 wrote:
Am I the only one whose first thought on this and similar thought experiments is 'I would be heartbroken cos I would have just lost family and most people would be in the same boat'?

No.

Yet I'd rather take comfort that they're not dealing with that kind of heartache.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


amykitten
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 371

20 Apr 2021, 3:47 pm

Maybe it's the environment I study/work in but I don't think society will be as bad off as people seem to think it will be. Also in some scenarios you described such as emergency services being autistic can be an asset as you can do the check list of abc rather than worrying about the emotional impact. Also if 1:52 last time I checked was on the spectrum, be it with or without other conditions, then factor in other aspects to make someone neurotypical 97% would just be to high even if we discard change conditions such as depression.

There isn't a job an autistic person in theory couldn't do. It just depends on the personality of that person so I think it would open up more jobs prospects for us, more so if there isn't a natural charisma which people seem to desire..



KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,807

20 Apr 2021, 4:04 pm

amykitten wrote:
Maybe it's the environment I study/work in but I don't think society will be as bad off as people seem to think it will be. Also in some scenarios you described such as emergency services being autistic can be an asset as you can do the check list of abc rather than worrying about the emotional impact. Also if 1:52 last time I checked was on the spectrum, be it with or without other conditions, then factor in other aspects to make someone neurotypical 97% would just be to high even if we discard change conditions such as depression.

There isn't a job an autistic person in theory couldn't do. It just depends on the personality of that person so I think it would open up more jobs prospects for us, more so if there isn't a natural charisma which people seem to desire..


Yeah I know it sounds weird but in both my MA (where I couldn't keep up tbh) and on my art retreats (more my thing) almost everyone brought up to me something about 'I'm autistic' or another form of 'I'm not neurotypical'. Esp the autistic thing.

Most NTs would find Boolean searching boring tbh.

(So did I: mum forced me on that course cos it was 'practical', I'm more of an artist)


_________________
Not actually a girl
He/him


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,320
Location: U.S.A.

20 Apr 2021, 5:30 pm

simonthesly74 wrote:
...what would happen if each and every neurotypical human on earth suddenly vanished from existence...
This would leave behind much more than the folk on the Spectrum though I don't know what percent of the population would still be around...probably more than 5%.

I can't find an exhaustive enumeration of every known neurodiversity associated with "ND". And I'm not sure whether the incomplete lists I've found agree with each other. One source suggests "ND" is broad.
Wikipedia wrote:
The neurodiversity paradigm was taken up first by individuals on the autism spectrum. Subsequently, it was applied to other neurodevelopmental conditions such as Autism Spectrum Disorders, developmental speech disorders, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysnomia, intellectual disability and Tourette syndrome, as well as schizophrenia, and some mental health conditions such as bipolarity, schizoaffective disorder, antisocial personality disorder, dissociative disorders, and obsessive–compulsive disorder.
It is also difficult to get clear, consistent prevalence data. However, it appears to me the ADHD folk (who are ND) would outnumber those of us on the Spectrum by several-to-1. Presumably our proportion of the population would be even less than 25% after all of the diversities are factored in.

Oh. My ADHD bride would still be here! :heart:


And quite a bit of my extended family is also...um...different.

:roll: I don't know if they fit any "official" view of ND--but, if not, maybe ND should be expanded to include them?


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.