for my fellow WPers who feel [or ARE] old and struggling

Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

who here is old and/or struggling to cope?
i am older and getting infirm. :| 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
i am younger but prematurely aged. :| 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
i am older but good genes/fit :) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
i am younger but fit/no problems :) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my @#$%ing icecream? :chef: 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:02 am

pretty sure i had it back in march of 2020. i was pretty sick for about a week, then weak for another week.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

I am 34. I have been waiting to die since I can remember, with that said, I have two surgeries, two births. I put on some extra weight during covid, and I have a blood disorder that makes me feel 500lbs and 90. So getting the weight off is not the easiest task in the world. I am also starting to wonder if I have an autoimmune disease being triggered by the extra weight (random joint pain), so I am going to head to the doctor once new insurance kicks in this fall. Above everything I most concerned about my brain deteriorating from stress. I have had significant trauma and my mind ehausts me, for you all, what has that been like? Dealing with being alone, being abused, navigating the world, etc...how has that aged you psychologically? Most people think I look 20 or sometimes younger, I look at myself though, and see gandalf the grey the female version, a little old lady, fragile, and losing sight and memory. My parents died at 64 and 76 I think I will die around 70 so half my life is over.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:54 am

death tends to come when we least suspect. any number of times i shoulda been gone but yet i still survive. for lord knows what. having arthritis also makes it hard to lose weight.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
death tends to come when we least suspect. any number of times i shoulda been gone but yet i still survive. for lord knows what. having arthritis also makes it hard to lose weight.

My ENT told me I should not have survived my tongue cancer, especially when it returned a few months later. But I might go to sleep tonight and never wake up. Life and death is weird that way.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 6:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

My ENT told me I should not have survived my tongue cancer, especially when it returned a few months later. But I might go to sleep tonight and never wake up. Life and death is weird that way.

if i woke up dead one day, it would not really bother me, but i would fear the effect it would have on my sister and a few other people. that's the rub.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:07 pm

Fenn wrote:
To my knowledge and based on known symptoms I have never had COVID-19.

Fenn wrote:
So for Covid-19 I have been doing a lot of sitting and not much walking - which usually how I exercise.

:huh:

I thought there was a head-scratching emoticon here, but I don't see it...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 10:11 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fenn wrote:
To my knowledge and based on known symptoms I have never had COVID-19.

Fenn wrote:
So for Covid-19 I have been doing a lot of sitting and not much walking - which usually how I exercise.

:huh:

I thought there was a head-scratching emoticon here, but I don't see it...

:scratch:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 7:35 am

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
I am 34. I have been waiting to die since I can remember, with that said, I have two surgeries, two births. I put on some extra weight during covid, and I have a blood disorder that makes me feel 500lbs and 90. So getting the weight off is not the easiest task in the world. I am also starting to wonder if I have an autoimmune disease being triggered by the extra weight (random joint pain), so I am going to head to the doctor once new insurance kicks in this fall. Above everything I most concerned about my brain deteriorating from stress. I have had significant trauma and my mind ehausts me, for you all, what has that been like? Dealing with being alone, being abused, navigating the world, etc...how has that aged you psychologically? Most people think I look 20 or sometimes younger, I look at myself though, and see gandalf the grey the female version, a little old lady, fragile, and losing sight and memory. My parents died at 64 and 76 I think I will die around 70 so half my life is over.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. In some ways I had similar problems. I have fibromyalgia, and also an incomplete spinal cord injury. I also have had brain fog that convinced me that I was actually stupider than I had earlier been.

What helped me was better care of my overall health as well as withdrawing from the work world. I take a magnesium supplement, recommended by a rheumatologist. You learn different ways to exercise, and I strongly recommend warm water exercise, in a pool heated to about 94%; I use Cymbalta to treat both depression and chronic pain (it is approved for both); I improved my diet, but nothing strange, just lots of fruits and vegetables; and I divorced a very negative man and married someone more uplifting.

It's not perfect, but it's a life. I encourage you to keep trying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 8:53 am

I was vastly out of shape in my 20s. I had a 95 resting pulse. I could barely get up a flight of stairs. I was always at least "vaguely sick."

Then, somehow, I got in good enough shape to run 3 marathons in my 30s, even though I'm no athlete.

I'm just speaking of my experience. I'm not saying you should go out and do marathons----and I don't know you well enough to assume that you're "not trying." In fact, you're probably trying harder than me.

But it's definitely not hopeless for you.

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2021, 11:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
jack lalanne was a freak of nature.

Lol for whatever reason that made me laugh out loud. Thanks @auntblabby :D

When I was a small kid Jack LaLanne used to be on the TV and our babysitter would have him on every morning (while she was in the other room). We kids would do the exercises with him, to the degree that we could. It was a reason to express some energy first thing in the morning, and I'm sure that's exactly why the babysitter had him on.

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 11:32 pm

^^^prego :)

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:02 am

BeaArthur wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. In some ways I had similar problems. I have fibromyalgia, and also an incomplete spinal cord injury. I also have had brain fog that convinced me that I was actually stupider than I had earlier been.

What helped me was better care of my overall health as well as withdrawing from the work world. I take a magnesium supplement, recommended by a rheumatologist. You learn different ways to exercise, and I strongly recommend warm water exercise, in a pool heated to about 94%; I use Cymbalta to treat both depression and chronic pain (it is approved for both); I improved my diet, but nothing strange, just lots of fruits and vegetables; and I divorced a very negative man and married someone more uplifting.

It's not perfect, but it's a life. I encourage you to keep trying.

I just saw your reply. Thank you. I am starting ballet again and ordered a barre yesterday to start at home. I wish I could withdraw from work, but cannot at this time, children still need me to support them, but later maybe I will do so. I also left someone and am dating someone much kinder, and gentler, I do not intend to marry or cohabitate though as being alone suits me best. I will look into warm water exercise, I have always loved water but never get into it. I am glad your life has improved. I want to take better care of myself, and it would be wonderful for the fog in my head to let up.

Thanks, I mean that genuinely.

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:05 am

auntblabby wrote:

yeah, it does death I mean, and the RA for weight.

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:08 am

auntblabby wrote:

i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness. i will have to get medieval on this weight somehow even if it means i can only eat arugula for the rest of my life.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness. i will have to get medieval on this weight somehow even if it means i can only eat arugula for the rest of my life.

i considered developing an eating disorder where instead of overeating i under eat but i like sugar too much

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

Last edited by browneyedgirlslowingdown on 12 Jun 2021, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i considered developing an eating disorder where instead of overeating i unde reat but i like sugar too much

my dad's diabetic and cancerous/heart-attacking example put the fear of god in me about sugar since an early age. i avoid the stuff for the most part.