for my fellow WPers who feel [or ARE] old and struggling

Page 5 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

who here is old and/or struggling to cope?
i am older and getting infirm. :| 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
i am younger but prematurely aged. :| 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
i am older but good genes/fit :) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
i am younger but fit/no problems :) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my @#$%ing icecream? :chef: 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 9:06 pm

Oh, thank you, Aunt Blabby.

Sometimes he gets depressed and says he's just a burden to me and I'd be better off without him. And I reply that he gives me a purpose in living.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 9:14 pm

Bea,
You're a gem! That post made my day. :D

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 2:43 am

I'm struggling but for a different reasons that were usually mentioned in this thread.

It wouldn't matter if I'm young and fit, blessed with lesser vulnerabilities.
Or if I'm old or feeling old and crippled, cursed with a lot of vulnerabilities.

From where I came from, having vulnerability is expensive.
Whether or not I need an aide, there won't be an aide. Unless I'm rich or very lucky.

In my own case, I'm in this weird see-saws of states that may never be solved without any aides.

I can be young and feel younger and blessed, or young and feel older and cursed at any given moment.

And I do not know why...
Somewhere, within this body's system, I'm not healthy.
Or just inanely sensitive and it frustrates me to not know where it's coming from.

If I speak of it, it's just dismissed as 'autism' or some feminine problem. :roll:

Or worse, at risk of misdiagnosis, further miscommunications and complications because people around me do not know any better.

... So... There is no aide here.
No available aide. I had to solve it alone.

I can't solve it alone.
I can't solve it with anyone clueless interfering and reacting and blow everything up. I don't own a room for myself for this.

If I'm feeling old and actually crippled and cursed all around... And if everyone knows...

They'll cage me with it. :lol: They'll react in the name of 'worry'...
I ought to be grateful, yet I never truly felt grateful. :lol: Only guilty. Or angry. Basically ungrateful.

And my worst problem in my whole life is having chronic sinus rhinitis. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely a nothing compared to everyone's circumstances in life. Nothing.

I'm just a brat who's feeling very entitled not to suffer, by complaining about having 20+ year long sniffles that doesn't seem to go away, that gave me more trouble and embarrassment than autism or getting older ever did. :roll:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 5:41 am

i had chronic sinus issues also until i changed my diet. [got rid of refined carbs, basically]

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
i had chronic sinus issues also until i changed my diet. [got rid of refined carbs, basically]

White rice is a huge norm here. About 60%+ daily of what many people here eats.

Tried not eating them. Tried sneeking it out. It made the whole house worry. "I'm thin enough as it is" they say.
Alternatives are either more expensive or harder to find.

Either way, it worries people. They notice. My mom specially. More so now she's not longer busy.
And I hate it when people worry about me.

Let alone declining foods that are currently only available. Or straight out wasting it because I'm not eating it.

Tried not eating and declining certain foods. Ignoring them all fuss about.
It worried the house enough to call on my SPED teacher whether or not I explained them. :x
And I hate explaining things to them because they're clueless as heck and reacts around it.

Like in autism, I want people from my house out of it.

Sigh...
I want privacy. A wall. A room.
Or something people around me won't ever see or look to meddle.

Until then, no real changes for me.
Because I'm unable to separate from my love ones. :skull:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:04 am

sometimes you have to tell people, "i must take care of myself!"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
sometimes you have to tell people, "i must take care of myself!"

Tried. Numerous times. :lol:

No one's listening.
They cared too much.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:40 am

Went to help the Boy Scouts with "Clean Up Day".
Got there late - Ryan one of the other dads got there about the same time.
Ryan noticed one of the log splitters wasn't in use so he asked and he and I were "volen-told" / given permission to split logs.
Scouts (youth) are not allowed to use power tools.
The entire point of a log splitter is to make smaller logs of big ones.
So the job: repeatedly pick up big logs (like the size of a trash can lid - about two or three feet long) about a foot off the ground and put them on the log splitter.
I did ok the first few - I am not in THAT bad physical condition. And Ryan was clearly heavier than me.
But half a giant log is still kind of big, and the pieces needed to be carried a few yards away so the Scouts could stack them.
Then my heart started pounding. So for Covid-19 I have been doing a lot of sitting and not much walking - which usually how I exercise. When I went to my work place I would go up and down 3 flights of stairs about 4 times a day and sometimes a few extra times. The last time my heart did this I was trying to show off some dancing - fast steps to Cotton Eyed Joe at a friend's 50th anniversary. The time before was on a bike trip with the Scouts when the leader told the scouts to "speed up if we wanted to get there before noon". It started pounding and wouldn't stop - I felt light headed. I had to tell Ryan I needed a break - this was embarrassing - Ryan wasn't even winded. Tried drinking water. I walked to a shady spot and eventually my heart slowed down to a dull roar. I stood up and felt light headed again. Gee I felt OLD. I never had any trouble with stamina when I was in college - or even when I was first married and my wife and I used to go dancing. If I just pushed myself I could always do it. Now - I - just - couldn't. How did Jack La Lane do it? I went and tried to find another adult to help Ryan. Nobody wanted to - one guy had already been spitting logs for a few hours and he decided he had put in his time. I drank some more water and then eventually I felt my body was co-operating. I used to have a bicycle in college I would ride everywhere. Never had any problems at all. Up and down some very steep hills. I went back to help Ryan and he let me operate the hydraulics while he hefted the logs up onto the I-Beam that was the splitter bed.

"What a Drag It is Getting Old".

Last edited by Fenn on 07 Jun 2021, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 10:30 am

Replies to Edna and Fenn

Re: chronic sinusitis - have you tried irrigation, such as with a neti pot or flushing system for nasal irrigation? Two different doctors recommended this, and after doing it a few months and then stopping, I've gone for years without any problems. You do need to use distilled water, or boiled tap water, to avoid pathogens that survive even in chlorinated water. The other thing to consider is it may be not food allergies but environmental allergies, such as pollens, dust mites, allergies to animal fur or feathers, mold, and so on. I take Zyrtec (cetirizine) for hay-fever (seasonal plant allergies) during the growing months but not during the winter.

Re: body not performing. Well, I've lost a lot of strength and stamina during the pandemic shutdown. I hope to restore functioning by resuming an exercise program, but it's much harder to do the older one gets. Muscle mass is simply lower! Our cardiovascular system may be compromised by plaque, etc. When doing volunteer work with the Boy Scouts, remind yourself that having a fatal heart attack in front of the boys will be traumatic, so don't let that happen! If you continue to have post-exertional symptoms, that don't resolve with gradual increase in exercise, see a doctor. You might have a condition that could be well managed with medication, but you don't know until you get assessed.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 10:53 pm

Fenn wrote:
If I just pushed myself I could always do it. Now - I - just - couldn't. How did Jack La Lane do it?

Well, for one thing, I don't think Jack LaLanne ever had COVID-19 =)
Losing stamina/energy, and becoming more easily fatigued post-exertion are probably the MOST common symptoms of Long COVID. Elevated heart rate is a common symptom as well (lots of POTS symptoms).
Most of the experts are currently saying that over-exerting yourself is just going to make you worse, that the best thing you can do, is do smaller amounts and/or less strenuous exercise, and then make sure you get plenty of rest afterwards. Some people claim they are able to work themselves back up to 90%.
You really have to pace yourself and listen to your body.
That's what I'm still having trouble with...sometimes I forget how ill I am, and I try to do things I used to do...and I wind up gasping on the floor.

Fenn wrote:
I walked to a shady spot and eventually my heart slowed down to a dull roar. I stood up and felt light headed again.

Another POTS symptom.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm

jack lalanne was a freak of nature.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 1:54 pm

I think I am just going to get that Jack LaLanne Juicer and that should fix me up :D

Didn't think I'd get folks trying to diagnose me - thanks to all who are concerned. It could be a side effect of some meds I take. Or caffeine. I may contact my doc and ask to have a stress test - I guess I am about due for one. If I do she will be sure to get after me about that colonoscopy I was supposed to get before covid-19 shut down here in the USA. I am a typical male - I don't like to go to the doctor and I don't like to go and get those tests the doc wants me to get. I guess I should "man up" and just get the tests like I am supposed to - as folks pointed out it is not only in my best interest in the interest of people I care about - the BSA troop and my family come to mind. I just don't like admitting that I am not 20 any more.
As for COVID-19 - I don't think that is the root cause. I am fully vaccinated and the symptoms have been happening over a 5 year period before and after (not during) the COVID-19 scare in the USA. 3 times in 5 to 10 years isn't that bad a record - I doubt I am going to keel over any moment now, but I should take care of my health instead of waiting for something to go kapow. I kept thinking about my dad - he has lots of issues of all different kinds. I guess now I know how he feels sometimes.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 3:16 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Replies to Edna and Fenn

Re: chronic sinusitis - have you tried irrigation, such as with a neti pot or flushing system for nasal irrigation? Two different doctors recommended this, and after doing it a few months and then stopping, I've gone for years without any problems. You do need to use distilled water, or boiled tap water, to avoid pathogens that survive even in chlorinated water. The other thing to consider is it may be not food allergies but environmental allergies, such as pollens, dust mites, allergies to animal fur or feathers, mold, and so on. I take Zyrtec (cetirizine) for hay-fever (seasonal plant allergies) during the growing months but not during the winter.

I've read a lot about neti pots. :lol: One of the many stuff I wanna try someday.

However, I don't think I'm ready to own any equipments that requires regular maintenance and involving meticulous amount of sterilization yet.

Experience told me I may need more practice and discipline to do it daily and consistently -- because ironically, I suck at putting routines. Even ones I'm willing to do for long term -- I kept forgetting.

Also... Seriously.
The people in this house is so lax with handling stuff, I can't trust them for not using my own tooth brush or stealing any items and use them.

I keep my tooth brush hidden in a small cabinet, away from the bathroom.
If I have a neti pot, I may need a bigger and well sanitized box I can lock, then hide the box in a clean place...
Which I likely don't have that kind of space to make any at the moment.

The idea in and itself isn't known here.
The doctors here don't know what a neti pot is. :lol:

If my mom and sister knows saw one, they'd ask.
If I explain, they'll use it without my permission. If I didn't, they'll use it carelessly and without my permission.

Or rant enough to make me explain, then use it without my permission, even explicitly telling them not to use it.
That's how I'm, living with my mom and my sister. Too much sharing.

Until then -- I need a room.
A private, walled room that I can lock it's doors, keep everyone out, trust and ensure no one's using or taking my things without permission.

As for meds, nothing worked.
Various brands of antihistamines, at least month long each. No change.

What worked, instead, is anti-inflammatory nasal sprays.
But it's too expensive to have one on regular, and it doesn't get rid of the root cause.

Anything I hadn't tried is either currently too expensive, inaccessible, made people worry to a point of banning me out of it requires hiding/sneaking, stealable, or executive issues getting on it's way.

Apparent environmental triggers are more like when my hormones change, the pressure of atmosphere and my posture.

Irritants in the air is inconsistent.

It might be idiopathic. Likely misdiagnosed for allergy related instead.
Or if I do have it allergic related, it's not as bad as the idiopathic causes.

I won't discount gut related issue.
Water just aggravates my symptoms, made more mucus, more aggressive attacks and itches, and also less viscous discharges...

I'm better off not hydrated than keep drinking water.
Unless I'm somewhat allergic to water... It's an idiopathic cause.

Yet, as I already mentioned, I can't change my diet. Unless I'm very sneaky...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 9:03 pm

^^^i hope you never let your urine darken past pale, as kidney stones are no fun.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm

Fenn wrote:
As for COVID-19 - I don't think that is the root cause. I am fully vaccinated and the symptoms have been happening over a 5 year period before and after (not during) the COVID-19 scare in the USA.

Probably not the root cause, but it can definitely cause pre-existing conditions to worsen, especially if they were caused my previous viral infections.
The vaccine doesn't actually "cure" Long Covid, it's just something that the media latched onto and ran wild with, because a lot of people felt better after getting vaccinated (but for most people, it's only temporary).

"Before and after the scare"? You said earlier that you had caught COVID-19?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 8:48 am

To my knowledge and based on known symptoms I have never had COVID-19. The odds of my getting it now that I am fully vaccinated are much lower than before I was fully vaccinated. Odds are not magic. There is always a chance but the odds are now very slim.