for my fellow WPers who feel [or ARE] old and struggling

Page 7 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

who here is old and/or struggling to cope?
i am older and getting infirm. :| 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
i am younger but prematurely aged. :| 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
i am older but good genes/fit :) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
i am younger but fit/no problems :) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my @#$%ing icecream? :chef: 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 12:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
death tends to come when we least suspect. any number of times i shoulda been gone but yet i still survive. for lord knows what. having arthritis also makes it hard to lose weight.

yeah, it does death I mean, and the RA for weight.

i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness. i will have to get medieval on this weight somehow even if it means i can only eat arugula for the rest of my life.

i considered developing an eating disorder where instead of overeating i unde reat but i like sugar too much

my dad's diabetic and cancerous/heart-attacking example put the fear of god in me about sugar since an early age. i avoid the stuff for the most part.

i need to avoid it, i have nonstop cavities and have been baking cookies every day this week

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
death tends to come when we least suspect. any number of times i shoulda been gone but yet i still survive. for lord knows what. having arthritis also makes it hard to lose weight.

i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness. i will have to get medieval on this weight somehow even if it means i can only eat arugula for the rest of my life.

i considered developing an eating disorder where instead of overeating i unde reat but i like sugar too much

my dad's diabetic and cancerous/heart-attacking example put the fear of god in me about sugar since an early age. i avoid the stuff for the most part.

i need to avoid it, i have nonstop cavities and have been baking cookies every day this week

use sugar-free alternatives, plenty of which are available nowadays.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2021, 8:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i dunno if i am strong enough to kick the habit, will try

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 11:44 am

I had a bust appendix in college. It left scar tissue. "Adhesions" is the "doctor word". Sometimes I eat something and it gets stuck. Sometimes I feel nauseous or need to vomit. Sometimes i have an unusual bowel movement. The basic digestive system is on the blink and it can go either way. I feel discomfort near the scar and break out in a sweat. About 5 times in the last 4 or 5 years it has been accompanied with really acute pain. As in a LOT of pain. 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. It usually will resolve itself eventually. I have talked to two docs about it and they both say the same thing. I could have surgery to remove the scar tissue but the surgery will probably cause more scar tissue. I had a minor bout this morning - no acute pain but the rest of the symptoms. It is really embarrassing. Once I went to the emergency room while I was having the acute pain to see if they could take pictures and see exactly what is wrong. The pictures didn't show anything. When I had the burst appendix in college I remember thinking - it isn't age, it is just odds - for some of us the odds catch up sooner for some later.

And the beat goes on.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 11:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness.

I gave up and bought four pairs of shorts off eBay. I've got plenty of other old clothes that were too big (and I'm glad I didn't get rid of), but I never used to wear shorts.

I still need to lose this weight (30 lbs), but I don't know how easy it will be.
I read something online that people with viral-related weight gain can lose it easily, but can also gain it back just as easily. Something about how the virus can hide in your fat cells and sabotage your metabolism.

auntblabby wrote:

A lot of that stuff causes glucose intolerance, though, which can lead to diabetes.
I feel okay about Stevia, but it still tastes like artificial sweeteners.
I've gotten used to drinking my tea without any sweeteners at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:25 am

YOU are STRONG and you can DO it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:27 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i'm fairly sick of running out of clothing i can fit in, and extremely reluctant to shop for newer fatter clothing to drape over my fatness.

I gave up and bought four pairs of shorts off eBay. I've got plenty of other old clothes that were too big (and I'm glad I didn't get rid of), but I never used to wear shorts.

I still need to lose this weight (30 lbs), but I don't know how easy it will be.
I read something online that people with viral-related weight gain can lose it easily, but can also gain it back just as easily. Something about how the virus can hide in your fat cells and sabotage your metabolism.

auntblabby wrote:

A lot of that stuff causes glucose intolerance, though, which can lead to diabetes.
I feel okay about Stevia, but it still tastes like artificial sweeteners.
I've gotten used to drinking my tea without any sweeteners at all.

some teas are fine sans sweetener. but i'm too afraid of the oxalates in tea. the water here tastes like swill, even ice-cold, so i usually put in lemon and stevia to disguise the off-putting taste. mountain stream water never needs anything else.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2021, 10:22 am

auntblabby wrote:

YOU are STRONG and you can DO it.

Thank you, I am.

Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 12:33 am

^^^ :wtg:

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:48 am

Old? Getting there. Losing hearing and sight, insulin dependent. Tomorrow I lose my cancerous prostate, and I’m terrified.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:53 am

I’m getting prostate surgery in a couple of months. I’m in Stage 2B, Gleason Score of 7.

It’ll be a pain in the butt…..but you will probably be cured.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 11:34 am

Sorry both of you have to go through that

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:16 pm

How is everything going with you, APOM?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 1:50 pm

Peterd - hope everything turns out ok. I have a couple of friends who had this surgery. If you have any questions I could pass them along. Let us know when you are feeling on the up and up.

Kort,
Hope you surgery goes well - keep us posted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 4:35 pm

I hope to get the surgery soon.

Thanks, Fenn.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 7:41 pm

peterd wrote:
Old? Getting there. Losing hearing and sight, insulin dependent. Tomorrow I lose my cancerous prostate, and I’m terrified.

i hope you get the nerve-sparing kind.