Cops shoot 16 year old black girl in Ohio

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 3:49 am

Black Lives Matter protests have erupted in Ohio where a 16-year-old Black girl was shot dead by police today, just as the verdict was being delivered in the George Floyd murder trial.
Police in Columbus have released graphic bodycam footage showing an officer firing multiple shots at Makhia Bryant, 16, who died in hospital a short time later.
In the footage, Makhia appears to charge towards a female before the officer fires four shots at her and she collapses to the ground.
“She’s a f**king kid, man!” a man can be heard yelling.
Makhia was staying at a foster home but told her mother Paula Bryant last week she was looking forward to coming home.
“This never should have happened. She’s a loving girl,” Ms Bryant told 10WBNS.
“I’m very upset, I’m hurt, I want answers.

Not sure what the cop was thinking? never heard of a cop shooting down an unarmed blond haired child in cold blood....some serious problems with white police officers in the US
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 0ca35dca9c

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 10:50 am

Why was BLM protesting if they got the result they wanted?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 11:52 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Because black people still keep getting shot at by police.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 12:06 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I read that she was attacking someone with a knife. Police don't just shoot people for being black.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 12:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Not sure what the cop was thinking?

I don't normally go watch people get killed but for some reason today I did, even when I should have been staying off the computer because optical migraines and assorted hand problems.

Watched the body cam video as shown here several times at several speeds.
https://youtu.be/Fpnibt9RQ2U
Quote:
WATCH: Columbus police hold press conference after officer shoots, kills 16-year-old girl
•Streamed live 14 hours ago
WKYC Channel 3
103K subscribers
WARNING: Graphic body camera video is shown. Viewer discretion is advised.
The Columbus Department of Public Safety held a press conference this evening after a police officer shot and killed 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant Tuesday afternoon.

It sure looked like the following report is accurate, https://heavy.com/news/makhia-bryant-shooting/
Quote:
The body cam video shows the officer arriving to a chaotic fight scene, with Bryant attacking another female, who falls on the ground, before she moves toward a second woman near a car, police say with a knife. The officer then shoots her dead.

This too might contain something of significance, https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/cri ... 309088002/
Quote:
"Police received a 911 call at 4:35 p.m. about an attempted stabbing on the 3100 block of Legion Lane, which is located north of Chatterton Road. The caller reported a female was trying to stab them, then the caller hung up.
Officers responded to the scene and at 4:45 p.m. an officer-involved shooting was reported."

Quote:
Hazel Bryant told The Dispatch that she is the aunt of Ma’Khia Bryant. The girl lived in a foster home there on Legion Lane and got into an altercation with someone else at the home, she said.
Bryant said her niece had a knife, but maintained that the girl dropped the knife before she was shot multiple times by a police officer.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 2:54 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

The police officer prevented a murder. He's a hero by any definition.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 3:02 pm

Just saw this comment on someone's Tumblr.
Hmm.

Quote:
kittykittyredcat
extremelycursedimages
OK so let it be known that I am on Ma’khia’s side and I still think that you should donate to her family but she didn’t call the police for help as she was getting mugged. She got into an altercation with another girl and she had a knife. She was swinging at a girl when the cop shot her.  That pos pig murdered her and should not have shot her but please don’t spread misinformation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

The girl was threatening the other girl, but the officer had a clear view and could have shot her in the leg to incapacitate seemed overly trigger happy in shooting the girl 4 times.

The officer was responding to a call that the teen was threatening with a knife but there's no evidence in the photos she was carrying a weapon.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 4:30 pm

This is getting more out of control. :roll:

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 4:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

The girl was threatening the other girl, but the officer had a clear view and could have shot her in the leg to incapacitate seemed overly trigger happy in shooting the girl 4 times.

The officer was responding to a call that the teen was threatening with a knife but there's no evidence in the photos she was carrying a weapon.

Police don't shoot someone in the leg who is attacking others with a deadly weapon. They neutralize them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:00 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Police don't shoot someone in the leg who is attacking others with a deadly weapon. They neutralize them.

But that's my point, the officer was acting on a tip from her family she was carrying a knife. But in the altercation outside she did not look like she was carrying any weapon.

Given the fracas was happening for a while it seems odd the moment the other girl's life was supposedly in danger was the moment the police officer was there. I think it looks more likely they were punching/scratching. There's also the matter that her foster family reacted with anger and shock at the cops for shooting which means they didn't think it was necessary. It looks like the idea from their perspective was to detain her not kill her.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

But that's my point, the officer was acting on a tip from her family she was carrying a knife. But in the altercation outside she did not look like she was carrying any weapon.

Given the fracas was happening for a while it seems odd the moment the other girl's life was supposedly in danger was the moment the police officer was there. I think it looks more likely they were punching/scratching. There's also the matter that her foster family reacted with anger and shock at the cops for shooting which means they didn't think it was necessary. It looks like the idea from their perspective was to detain her not kill her.

If you watch the slow motion second part of the video, you clearly see that she attacks 2 other people with what can only be called an intent to kill in what you call a fracas. There is no doubt that the officer saw it all and believe he was neutralizing someone who intended to kill others.

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
There's also the matter that her foster family reacted with anger and shock at the cops for shooting which means they didn't think it was necessary. It looks like the idea from their perspective was to detain her not kill her.

After the first stabbing attempt, the victim is knocked to the ground and the same family member who later questions the cop's use of force literally kicks the victim in the head while she is lying on the ground. Watch the video.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 7:37 pm

Its just been updated that the teen was brandishing/waving a knife before plunging at the girl in the pink tracksuit when the officer opened fire.

Ohio state law allows police to use deadly force to protect themselves or others, and investigators will determine whether this shooting was such an instance.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther mourned the loss of the young victim but defended the officer’s use of deadly force.

This still does not sit comfortably with me.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 8:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
but the officer had a clear view and could have shot her in the leg to incapacitate

Why police don’t aim for the legs
By Deseret News Jan 15, 2015, 2:05pm MST
Jeffrey Denning, For the Deseret News
https://www.deseret.com/2015/1/15/20556 ... r-the-legs

Experts on Why Police Aren't Trained to Shoot to Wound
Shooting to injure wouldn't stop an aggressive subject, experts say.
By JULIA JACOBO
July 7, 2016, 11:46 PM
• 7 min read
https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-traine ... d=40402933

Here's why police don't shoot to wound in the case of deadly force
National & World News
| June 13, 2019
By Debbie Lord
https://www.ajc.com/news/national/here- ... EMj78u1bO/
Which brings up an interesting point,
Quote:
Candace McCoy, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, suggested in an article in The Guardian that shooting to wound would lower the legal threshold for using deadly force.
“As a policy, [shoot to wound] is a really bad idea because it would give the police permission to take that gun out of the holster under any circumstance,” she said.

:arrow: If you really want to know the actual science of the thing, in all aspects of the thing, read the 780 page total of these,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 10:25 pm

I'm also uncomfortable that it took him 4 shots to "incapacitate her"

What the heck do these guys get shooting training for? even a novice could have shot her in the leg

The foster parents are now saying the girl is still 15 which is the same age as my daughter. If the cop knew this 15 yr old he would never have drawn a weapon.