Cops shoot 16 year old black girl in Ohio

Page 4 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:08 pm

Oh okay thanks. I didn't think there was a camera going through the lens of an actual gun but thought that the cross hairs were superimposed after, for some reason, and wondered why. But that explains it. So the point of view we are seeing is the officer's body cam in that shot?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Apr 2021, 12:12 pm

Yes. You can check the video - it was linked earlier in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=396312#p8769693

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:14 pm

Chasing after the officer with a knife, reminds me of the incident when a 15 year old white boy on the spectrum went after an officer with a knife and he got shot to death too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Apr 2021, 12:18 pm

Was that the one where he started running away and got shot several times in the back?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:23 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Was that the one where he started running away and got shot several times in the back?

No, this was in 2011 and it was in Chicago when a dad called the police on his son when he wouldn't go to school and the police came and the boy had a knife in his hand and charged at them with the knife and he got shot. If I remember correctly, he locked his game system in a wardrobe and the boy was trying to get it out and he had a knife with him. I remember members here argued about it, some were on the police side and some were on the boy's side. I was on the officer's side because I do not like violence. If someone charged at me with a weapon, I would probably shoot them too if I had a gun.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Apr 2021, 12:27 pm

Ah, a different case.
I was thinking of this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Walter_Scott

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:59 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Ah, a different case.
I was thinking of this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Walter_Scott

This is the story I was thinking of,

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 1:20 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Yes. You can check the video - it was linked earlier in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=396312#p8769693

Oh sorry I missed the video before. Well in the video the officer told the woman to get down four times and gave four warnings before the woman tried to stab the other woman. So the attempted stabber refused to listen to four warnings, even though she knew a cop was there. So is what the officer did that bad if she saved someone from being stabbed, after four warnings and the perp not listening and still trying to stab someone to death anyway?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Apr 2021, 3:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Ah, a different case.

This is the story I was thinking of,

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
:cry: Tragic. I thought this is what Tasers were supposed to handle, but guns appear to be the immediate go-to every time.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Apr 2021, 3:54 pm

ironpony wrote:
So is what the officer did that bad if she saved someone from being stabbed, after four warnings and the perp not listening and still trying to stab someone to death anyway?
What's bad is that in practically all police actions in the USA at least one gun gets pulled, and used, every damn time.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 12:11 am

Would it be better if they had it so that only black cops were allowed to respond to calls made by black people, if that would be better and to make sure to have black cops on patrol specifically for that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 12:44 pm

It is not true that "most police interactions" involve the use of a gun. There are many cops who have never fired their weapon on duty.

You have some dickhead cops, sure. Obviously, we do, with all these police shootings. They make it bad for the good cops who want to serve their community.

I definitely don't feel that girl should have been shot, obviously.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Apr 2021, 3:54 pm

It should have been a Taser.
Guns, in this type of situation, tend to have an unfortunate permanent affect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:30 pm

I don't believe she should have been shot.

I believe most cops wouldn't have taken out their guns and fired them right away. They would have sought, verbally, to resolve the situation. Maybe one cop could have taken her from the back, and disarmed her.

Probably the cop should have used a Taser in this instance, as an alternative. It's a tragedy that a young life was taken. She wasn't a hardened criminal. She was just a young person, and she had potential.

I wish Tasers were more reliable, though. Sometimes, they don't do the job because a person is very agitated and the effects of the Taser don't "kick in" right away.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2021, 1:26 am

This whole situation was a tragedy. But tasers don't cut it for preventing imminent stabbings. Tasers don't have the capacity of a pistol, so if he misses he has to fumble for another weapon. If he hits the taser could get snagged on clothing and not deliver a charge effectively. And sometimes even when used perfectly the taser just doesn't work, you can watch videos where people get tased and just don't react. A gun, on the other hand, is way more likely to stop the aggressor before they harm anyone. If there is an imminent lethal threat, lethal force is justified. If someone has me pressed up against a car ready to stab me, I do not want the cop to use a taser to save me.

And shooting the hand, really? Sure he's a marksman, but the hand is a small target and moving fast (swinging a knife). I think mass media has made guns look way easier to use than they are in reality. I've shot pistols before and even hitting a stationary target at that distance is tougher than it looks. Sure, he's a trained marksman, but you're asking him to hit a small, fast moving target in a life or death situation. He's a good rifleman, not John Wick.

I feel like people who object this shooting are either: unfamiliar with how guns, tasers, knife violence work. Or have a visceral bad feeling when they see the girl get shot, and thus immediately assume that the shooting was bad. To be clear, it's good that you feel bad seeing a young girl get shot and killed. But that doesn't mean that it was unjustified in this specific instance.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:54 am

A lot of people have been saying why doesn't he shoot the hand or arm, but or leg but if you look at the video, the potential victim of the stabber, is right behind her, so if the cop missed the arm or the leg, he would have likely hit the victim then, if he had aimed for the arm and the leg.

I also see what you mean about tasers not being effective if you have to shoot again, if it doesn't work the first time. As for as non-lethal stopping arounds go, cops could use shot guns that fire those rubber rounds, and they have multiple rounds in the gun in case they need to fire more.

However, I guess when a cop goes to 911 call in a neighborhood they do not want to walk around holding a shotgun, while they address the call, and thus, the only option is a lead bullet firing pistol in the holster in a lot of these situations?