Bay City Rollers frontman Les McKeown, dead at 65

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 2:03 pm

BrooklynVegan

Quote:
Leslie McKeown, frontman for '70s glam/glitter superstars Bay City Rollers, died on Tuesday at age 65. No cause of death has been announced, but the family said it was sudden. The news was shared via Bay City Rollers' Facebook

Best-known in America for "Saturday Night" (which the Ramones tip a hat to on "Blitzkrieg Bop") "Money Honey," and "I Only Want to Be with You," The Bay City Rollers were full-on teen sensations abroad, with 10 singles cracking the UK Top 10 between 1971 and 1975, and Les led the band through their entire golden period. The band reformed with Les at the front again in 2015, and continued touring as Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers into 2020.

Rest in peace, Les

The press here in the states before they even came here kept on calling them the next Beatles a label nobody can live up to. When predictably they were not remotely close to the Beatles people made fun of them. They were what they were, a boy band before the term was invented who made lightweight but fun, catchy bubblegum tunes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 2:25 pm

They used to be on the cover of Tiger Beat all the time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 8:02 am

That's very sad news.