Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LaurenMK
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2021, 3:13 pm

Curious to know what special interests you had as a child. I was big into watching the same movie over and over again, at least twice a day, for a year a piece. Simple example, but just curious.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:18 pm

The Legend of Zelda, Free Realms, Animal Crossing, primates, dogs, hamsters. A lot of different animals and video games throughout my childhood. lol

Honestly, not much has changed besides the fact I at least have a minimal interest in all those things, and I cycle through them instead of becoming fixated on one thing for months and months.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm

Building forts, tents, and small spaces to be alone.

Bathtub boats.

Ducks.

Coloured lights, playdoh, and music (stims).

Santa Claus and Christmas.

Climbing things (attics, trees, ladders).

Wallpaper and broadloom.

Pioneers, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Holly Hobbie.

Leotards (cotton tights).

Elton John and Art Garfunkel.

Collections: Rag dolls, books, coins, egg cups, souvenir spoons, vinyl records.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 3:33 pm

Books, video games, animals, and lights. Still like them all but in a more mature way.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 3:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

...Climbing things (attics, trees, ladders). ...

...Collections: Rag dolls, books, coins, egg cups, souvenir spoons, vinyl records.

I used to love to climb things as a kid, but I was gifted with the curse of dyspraxia, so I never got far with climbing. lol

I also collected a lot of rocks... My mom recently said that we have shoe boxes full of rocks somewhere.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 3:54 pm

Dinosaurs, other prehistoric life, modern wildlife, cars, military aviation, military history, chemistry.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:44 am

Arthropods of any kind. Also reading any “scary” story I could get my hands on. Pokemon. And I loved playing pretend.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 1:21 am

Climbing.
Sneaking.
Crafting.
Boxes.
Graffiti.
Secrets.
Encode-decode Scripts.
Symbols.
Games.
Video Games.
Puzzles.
Colored ink Pens.
Notebooks.
Small spaces.
Specific Music.

Not sure if that's all. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 2:14 am

idk,
reading, reading, listening
playing with bro-s, crafting, at grandparents they saved drawing paper and all drawing/coloring competions,
being a smartass but that's the age, when i learned jokes i would repeat that thousand times
exploring the things in and around the house, there were so many hidden places and mysteries
eg one quite smaller room with old shop walls, crammed full with all kinds of things,
yeah, like that but used for random storage, eg, old childrenbooks (1930-ish, i learned reading dutch in the old dutch fashion as well)

LaurenMK
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2021, 12:30 pm

Traven,

That wall gave me a nightmare until I could see order in it!

So interesting to see the diversity in special interests. Was anyone’s intensity on the interest ever disrupted? If I could not watch a particular movie more than once in one day... yowza!

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2021, 5:33 pm

The first I remember is at at 4 or 5 Greek mythology (after watching Clash of the Titans eleventy-four times), which mushroomed into mythology in general.

Then dinosaurs

Then Native American cultures

Finally, I settled into a life-long obsession with cartography and geography. Pick an obscure, little-known country and I can locate it in seconds, and list the previous names and for said country, lol.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 5:43 am

I didn't develop any special interests until I was 11. Before then I just had casual interests like any other child.

I liked trains when I was little, but not in the stereotypical autistic way. It was because we only had a few videotapes, and most of them were Thomas the Tank Engine, so that's what I mostly watched. So I liked playing with toy trains or pretending I was a train myself. I wasn't obsessed though.

Then I started to like jungles because it just fascinated me. I would draw lots of pictures of jungle scenes and I would play make believe jungle games.

Then I got into South Park in 1998, which I absolutely loved. Yes, my parents let me watch it but I didn't understand most the adult stuff in it. I think most parents let their kids watch it back then because it was all the craze and kids weren't so mollycoddled like they are today.

Then I got into Pokémon, which wasn't really my sort of thing but it became the latest craze at school and I wanted to be a part of it. I never actually watched the show though, as I thought it was too boring, but I collected Pokémon cards and swapped them with other kids in the playground, and I collected the plushies too (I was only 9).

Then when I was 11 the obsessions started, where a special interest would choose me and then I let it take over my mind and I couldn't stop talking about it. That happened right up until I was 24.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 8:00 am

I really got into Early Man (especially austrolopithecines and Neanderthals) starting about 6th grade and extending pretty far into my adolescence.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:24 am

Used to watch Pocahontas a lot and have memories of playing saga and Nintendo 64 . Always liked music and art but never was obsessed with anything really

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:41 am

Did alot of dancing as a kid and danced around at home as well as had lessons. Maybe that was considered obsessive? Don’t feel like I had OCD or special interests. Great post but I can’t say I had fixations on things

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 10:02 am

An "obsessive interest" is when this interest adversely affects other aspects of your life.

If I'm interested in trains----but this interest prevents me from eating my dinner, or going to work, it's an adversely obsessive interest.

There are times when I might really get into a subject----and I'll be late for work as a result.