Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 10:36 am

I started reading "real" books in the 2nd grade. Science Fiction. My first Sci-Fi book was Tom Swift and his Giant Robot. I was constrained by what my parents would buy for me but a few more Tom Swift books made it onto my shelf, too. (I was really hoping for all of them...and was frustrated that the ones they got me weren't consecutive.) As I got older my Sci-Fi reading branched out and I especially enjoyed the works of Isaac Asimov. The bookshelf in my room was filled to near capacity, mostly with Science Fiction.

I "collected" matchbook covers. It was not an organized collection. I didn't know anything about them. It was just a box with a bunch of matchbook covers in it. I eventually outgrew it and tossed it.

In my late pre-teens and early teens I could tell the model year of a VW Beetle (the classic bugs) by looking at it. I think I could still sort them by age by looking at them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:04 am

Animals and nature, Cats, Power Rangers, Weather, Sciency stuff, Other cultures/countries, reading, reading National Geographic magazines(at school libraries I sometimes looked at a sort of kids version of National Geographic they had and I didn't like those ones nearly as much as the regular national geographic magazine), skeletons/anatomy I was the kid that begged my mom to take me to the body worlds exhibit at the museum because I just had to see it. She took me to it and it was awesome not sure if she enjoyed it as much as I did though.

And I think that about covers it, I guess I could kind of include metal music as well but didn't really get into that till my later teens maybe around 17, I heard either Number of the Beast or Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden and after that I wanted to hear all of the metal music. Before that my cousin had introduced me a little to Cradle of Filth and System of a Down and I liked those but of course my mom did not approve and so I wasn't really able to get into metal then later on at 17 when I cared less about what my mom approved of it was easier to jump into it I guess. I recall my sister got a system of a down album, and my mom ended up disapproving and confiscated it from her. But I found where she had hid it and got it back out to give back to my sister and then we just kept it out of her sight. She had a job as a medical assistant so we had plenty of time home alone to listen to that CD then go figure she was open minded to listening to system of a down when my brother presented it and simply ended up admitting she just didn't really like the singing. But she literally took the CD of the same artist away from my sister, like was my mom a sexist? Cause like same thing she got ok with my younger brother listening to Eminem which I am glad because he really liked it but for sure if me or my sister had started listening to Eminem she probably would have freaked out about it.

Uhh sorry to make such a long post and go on a bit of a ramble, but yeah trying to think about my childhood is interesting and always brings up a lot in my mind I guess.

Verity2006
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2021, 10:26 am

My special interests are lego, reading and 3d graphic design. I began reading Agatha Christie books that my Gran gave me to me last year and now I'm really interested in murder mystery books.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 6:30 am

Puzzles, horses, dancing, sci-fi/fantasy books, coin/stamp collections. @LaurenMK, when my special interests were interrupted or unavailable, outwardly I exhibited depression or withdrawal.

Acton Bell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2021, 5:45 pm

As a child I was throughly obsessed with animals, reading about them, spending time with them, amassing as many facts as I could about my favourite animals, having a bed in which I have the majority of space to a wide collection of stuffed animals…animal magazine s, animal programmes… I was much more drawn to animals than people.

Also was very fixated on Anne Boleyn for years, the Victorian’s, nature, unsolved mysteries, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Harry Potter, pirates…

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:05 pm

While living in San Francisco- collecting Topps baseball cards. A really simple game that involved putting names on a piece of paper, rolling dice and totting up the scores . I'd do that for long spells at a time. Hard to remember what else as autbiographical memory is poor.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 6:56 pm

Comic Books. I once saved up 100 dollars cash and wanted to spend it all on comic books. I collected primarily "The Flash" comics - before there was a TV show - before he died - before they rebooted the multiverse (and did it again a few years later, and again, and again). I wanted to be a comic book artist and work for DC comics in New York.

It never quite happened that way.