Games you enjoy, hated by everyone else

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:16 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I came to Zelda very late. I bought a Wii in the first stages of lockdown (March 2020) and played Twighlight Princess as my first ever real Zelda experience. I loved it and then played through Skyward Sword too.

Then I traded the wii in for a wii u so I could play Botw.

I also got WindWaker HD for it and I've tried to like it but I just don't. It's not so much the visuals, although it's not my favourite art style of the Zelda games I've played, and I'm fine with the controls, I've just found it frustrating. I spend too much time (outside of dungeons I mean) not really knowing what I'm supposed to be doing and going back and forth on long sailing missions.

I suspect if I'd come to it chronologically, i.e. before TP/SS/BotW I'd like it more.

As for Skyward Sword, I know people hated that but I mostly liked it - control idiosyncracies aside.

I think one of the main reasons I like Wind Waker is because I played it a lot as a kid, so I have everything you can do and get memorized. If I had to figure out what I have to do in it as an adult, I think I'd be very frustrated with it and not like it as much. The sailing is also definitely annoying, and it takes way too long to get the Ballad of Gales to avoid some of the sailing.

I also like Skyward Sword a lot and haven't had too many issues with the controls. They were frustrating at first, but after playing it for awhile I don't have a problem with them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:41 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I spend too much time (outside of dungeons I mean) not really knowing what I'm supposed to be doing and going back and forth on long sailing missions.

Yeah, a lot of people hated the sailing, but I thought it was relaxing.
But honestly, sometimes I would get too lazy to change the wind direction, and just sail against it until it changed on its own.
I used the Quick Sail a ton in the remake. Also, I don't remember how I did it my first playthrough, but my last playthrough, I made a rough map to keep track of all the stuff I had to come back for later, and all the sapling locations, etc.

...I actually can't remember if I came back to water them all or not...
Maybe I should check.

DuckHairback wrote:
As for Skyward Sword, I know people hated that but I mostly liked it - control idiosyncracies aside.

I don't know if it's true, but according to someone who worked with the emulation of Skyward Sword a lot, the Wii Motion Plus tries to recalibrate itself whenever it sees the sensor bar.
I find that the controls stay calibrated a lot better if I hide the sensor bar while playing.
But maybe that's just me?

I love the controls, and I'm so glad they kept them for the remake. The "buttons only" control setting sounds like there are going to be a lot of broken joysticks soon.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 9:02 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
Two more from my personal experience.

South Park 64 - Just the Nintendo 64 port, all the others suck. I played this one a lot when I was younger. This game gets reviewed too harshly for being boring and repetitive and hits the bottom of every South Park game from worst to best list. Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally are better than this? I don't believe it. This port was made by the team that gave us Turok 2.

Speaking of Turok.

Turok Evolution - This was a prequel to tell the origin story of how Tal'Set became the first Son of Stone. Sure, the flying levels suck and the story is weak and the antagonist is weaker, plus this game killed the original series due to poor reception and sales. There are some little things that make this game a guilty pleasure. The weapons and the gunplay were all right. I used a big head cheat to notice that you can shoot enemies heads off. You can use poison arrows to make enemies throw up and die. You can disarm an enemy and they surrender and you can choose whether or not to finish them off. Little things, you know?

I believe these are 2 cool first person shooters that were overlooked.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 3:53 pm

Duke Nukem Forever wasn't hated by everyone, but it was poorly received by most fans and critics. Was it worth the 15 year wait and 60 dollar new price? No. Was it worth the 6 dollar used price? Yes. And I've learned to appreciate it for it's merits

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 5:28 pm

I feel like one of the few people who actually enjoyed the original Siren for the PS2. It was honestly the scariest game I ever played. :skull:

♤ The Military

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 6:59 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I feel like one of the few people who actually enjoyed the original Siren for the PS2. It was honestly the scariest game I ever played. :skull:

I own a working PS2 and I was looking for a horror game for my month of October Halloween celebration. I will check my local Disc Replay for it.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:02 pm

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

I own a working PS2 and I was looking for a horror game for my month of October Halloween celebration. I will check my local Disc Replay for it.

It's a very scary game but also very difficult. I recommend finding an online guide if you have to. :)

♤ The Military

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 7:25 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

It's a very scary game but also very difficult. I recommend finding an online guide if you have to. :)

Looks great to me!

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 3:07 pm

King0fSpades wrote:

I also enjoyed The Evil Within. Although that took some trying. I finally managed to kill Laura in that level ten death trap area. How? I pinned her in place with a maxed out shock bolt and then put a whole clip of maxed out magnum bullets through her head.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:03 am

I have a soft spot for mediocre Ubisoft open world games that I know aren't great, but somehow end up putting tons of hours into.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 3:07 pm

I need some recommendations for survival horror games. I have a PS2 and an Xbox 360.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:13 pm

Axeman wrote:
I need some recommendations for survival horror games. I have a PS2 and an Xbox 360.

If you look through these lists, I'm sure you'll find something good.
https://survivalhorror.fandom.com/wiki/ ... rror_Games

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/xbox ... al-horror/

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm

I like some of those WP counting games that some people despise.
(but you probably didn't mean that.)
I like Suduko - some people really don't - "what's the point"
When I was a kid I would do whole books of "maze" puzzles.
I don't like any kind of game that requires hand-eye-co-ordination.
The idea of using a computer for that seems to be missing the point for me - I use computers for something to get me away from all of those real world hand-eye-co-ordination games.
I once played Tetris on a VT-100 terminal until 3 am.
And "net-hack" (which was kind of like zork or ADVENT).

(dating myself)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:03 pm

Is the original Doom 'hated by everyone else' these days? Can't remember the last time it got a mention from anyone else on this site. I sometimes play around 15 hours per week of one megawad or another, and have completed something like 30-40 of them over the last few years.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 11:47 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Is the original Doom 'hated by everyone else' these days?

Not that I've ever seen, no.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 2:37 pm

Axeman wrote:

Resident Evil 4 or any Resident Evil on the PS2.