Games you enjoy, hated by everyone else

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 12:57 pm

I'm talking games that are absolutely despised by fans and panned by critics, but you still managed to enjoy them. The very definition of guilty pleasures.

Mega Man Star Force Trilogy - Mega Man fans complained that this series ruined the whole franchise. I found it easier and more fun to play than Battle Network. The series tanked so hard that Capcom gave up on the whole franchise for years.

Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed - A Wii Exclusive titled with subpar graphics and the voice cast doesn't return. I still found the destruction kinda fun.

Serious Sam 2 - Everybody criticized this entry for it's cartoonish style and humor. I found it to be a breath of fresh air once Call of Duty clones oversaturated the market. Croteam still supports this one despite it being the black sheep of the series and they recently added dual wielding weapons and enemy multipliers to it.

Saints Row the Third and pretty much the entire latter half of the series - I never knew how much the series starting with 3 was despised until now. I understand an important plot point from 2 was dropped. Still, the games were more wild and crazy and I loved it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2021, 4:03 am

Toy Story for SNES/Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive and I believe a PC version was made. To me this game has a lot of nostalgic feeling to it. The graphics for the time I felt were nice, and if you grew up in the 90s, I was born in 91, you couldn't escape Toy Story. It was the biggest thing, that people loved to hate. People despise this game quite a bit, but I love it.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 4:47 am

Is this just video games?

Otherwise...

One letter at a time Scrabble.

Go for as long as you can.

I've only done this as solitaire Scrabble and most I've got is 150 points out of it.

You need a vowel to start.

I enjoy the challenge but I understand completely why this isn't the mainstream way to play Scrabble :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 8:54 am

Table-Top Role-Playing Games (TTRPGs).

Before sequestration, getting together with a half-dozen fellow gamer-nerds to play AD&D, Traveller, and other RPGs was easy.  Now, even mentioning the possibility of face-to-face game sessions results in much eye-rolling.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 11:53 pm

Despite video games based on movies usually being bad and people not liking EA. I quite liked The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King video game. Also, the video game adaptation of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was better then the movie to me though it was repetitive. Also the older Star Trek games like Elite Force 1 and 2 and the Armada series were quite good. Silent Hill 4: The Room was decent but not on the same level as Silent Hill 1-3.

charkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2021, 11:08 am

Honestly? I secretly think Sonic 06 is quite fun. Like, it's a mess but it gets too much flak and at the time it was probably the best Sonic game since Adventure 2 imo.

In general though I think there are more games that everybody loves except for me, than vice-versa.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:42 pm

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, CastleVania II: Simon's Quest, Final Fantasy II (Famicom), Metroid II: Return of Samus, (I'm noticing a pattern here...)
CastleVania 64 and Circle of the Moon...
E.T. (Atari 2600)
Jaws (NES)
Daikatana, though I've only played the demo. And if you think Daikatana is bad, you should play Daikatana for Nintendo 64. Yikes.
...hmm...I'm sure I can think of more...these "worst games ever" lists aren't helping very much.
Sonic 3D Blast, I guess? People hate that game, right?

OH! I did enjoy Final Fight: Streetwise on the XBox. I played through the whole thing and I honestly don't know why people hate it. The music got a little grating after a while, but you can easily mute it at any time.
I also enjoyed the NARC reboot, but I can see why people wouldn't like it =) It's super obvious that they didn't finish it. Especially when you get to the last level.

I remember enjoying Quest 64 back in the day, but I tried playing it a couple years ago and the combat was a lot more annoying than I remembered. I might have to GameShark that one =) Still need to play the Game Boy Color one.

Offset wrote:
Toy Story for SNES/Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive and I believe a PC version was made.

People hate Toy Story?
News to me, we always liked it. And the Genesis version is very impressive, the programming really pushes the limits of the hardware.

Dragnet wrote:
Also the older Star Trek games like Elite Force 1 and 2 and the Armada series were quite good.

I need to try those, I think Elite Force 2 is supposed to be decent? I think Klingon Honor Guard was supposed to be alright, too?
I see the first game was made by Raven, and they kind of have a track record for making bland games. I'm pretty sure they have the highest turnover rate in the entire games industry.
I did kind of like their X-Men games though, they were fun in smaller doses.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:03 am

Two more from my personal experience.

South Park 64 - Just the Nintendo 64 port, all the others suck. I played this one a lot when I was younger. This game gets reviewed too harshly for being boring and repetitive and hits the bottom of every South Park game from worst to best list. Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally are better than this? I don't believe it. This port was made by the team that gave us Turok 2.

Speaking of Turok.

Turok Evolution - This was a prequel to tell the origin story of how Tal'Set became the first Son of Stone. Sure, the flying levels suck and the story is weak and the antagonist is weaker, plus this game killed the original series due to poor reception and sales. There are some little things that make this game a guilty pleasure. The weapons and the gunplay were all right. I used a big head cheat to notice that you can shoot enemies heads off. You can use poison arrows to make enemies throw up and die. You can disarm an enemy and they surrender and you can choose whether or not to finish them off. Little things, you know?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:10 am

A lot of people don't like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, especially because of the art style and controls. The controls for the GameCube (I haven't played the HD version) certainly suck, but I think the art style is nice. The music is also, in my opinion, some of the best in a Zelda game.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:49 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
A lot of people don't like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, especially because of the art style and controls.

What's wrong with the controls? I've never heard that one before, they're practically the same as OoT and MM (and TP).

I loved Wind Waker, but it was far too easy. I only died once, and it was because I wanted to see what would happen if I kept attacking a fat piggy. I think I used one fairy on Ganon.

Hero Mode on the WiiU was a little more difficult, but it was frustrating to only have one or two jars, and to have to travel so far to refill them.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
The music is also, in my opinion, some of the best in a Zelda game.

Have you played Skyward Sword yet?
It's the first Zelda to have a soundtrack that's all live recorded instruments. It sounds amazing.
Link Between Worlds had really great music too, and then BotW went very minimalistic (though I don't dislike it).

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 12:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
A lot of people don't like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, especially because of the art style and controls.

What's wrong with the controls? I've never heard that one before, they're practically the same as OoT and MM (and TP).

I loved Wind Waker, but it was far too easy. I only died once, and it was because I wanted to see what would happen if I kept attacking a fat piggy. I think I used one fairy on Ganon.

Hero Mode on the WiiU was a little more difficult, but it was frustrating to only have one or two jars, and to have to travel so far to refill them.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

It's the first Zelda to have a soundtrack that's all live recorded instruments. It sounds amazing.
Link Between Worlds had really great music too, and then BotW went very minimalistic (though I don't dislike it).

I found combat and aiming the grappling hook a bit odd, but those are issues I have on most games. I don't know what issues the people who don't like WW and complain about its controls are having. :scratch:

In my current playthrough of WW I haven't died once, it's definitely a bit too easy. lol

Skyward Sword also has good music. I honestly don't like BotWs music that much, and I just tune it out most of the time. I actually don't think BotW is a good Zelda game for a few reasons... 8O (To clarify, it's a good game, but I don't think it's a good Zelda game...)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 12:43 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I found combat and aiming the grappling hook a bit odd, but those are issues I have on most games. I don't know what issues the people who don't like WW and complain about its controls are having. :scratch:

Oh, I see.
I haven't seen anyone else complain about the controls...just the graphics and the slow sailing (which was sped up quite a bit in the HD version).

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I actually don't think BotW is a good Zelda game for a few reasons... 8O (To clarify, it's a good game, but I don't think it's a good Zelda game...)

I think it's a great Zelda game, I love all the little references to previous games in it.
I do kind of miss the dungeons, but after replaying most of the games since beating BotW, some of those dungeons definitely overstayed their welcome.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

17 May 2021, 2:34 pm

Pathologic 2

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 5:06 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

In my current playthrough of WW I haven't died once, it's definitely a bit too easy. lol

Skyward Sword also has good music. I honestly don't like BotWs music that much, and I just tune it out most of the time. I actually don't think BotW is a good Zelda game for a few reasons... 8O (To clarify, it's a good game, but I don't think it's a good Zelda game...)

I came to Zelda very late. I bought a Wii in the first stages of lockdown (March 2020) and played Twighlight Princess as my first ever real Zelda experience. I loved it and then played through Skyward Sword too.

Then I traded the wii in for a wii u so I could play Botw.

I also got WindWaker HD for it and I've tried to like it but I just don't. It's not so much the visuals, although it's not my favourite art style of the Zelda games I've played, and I'm fine with the controls, I've just found it frustrating. I spend too much time (outside of dungeons I mean) not really knowing what I'm supposed to be doing and going back and forth on long sailing missions.

I suspect if I'd come to it chronologically, i.e. before TP/SS/BotW I'd like it more.

As for Skyward Sword, I know people hated that but I mostly liked it - control idiosyncracies aside.

I struggled with BotW intially because the world felt so empty - and it just made me sad to see Hyrule smashed up! I missed the humour of the other games. But once I met Beedle at a stables I cheered up and as the game progressed I found the humour was there. It's now easily my favourite Zelda.

As for the original question (and this is going back a few years) I really liked Interstate '76 on the PC. It had its issues but I loved driving the muscle cars through the vast desert, listening to the soundtrack and watching the weird flat polygon mountains constantly redrawing themselves on the horizon. I could have done without the gameplay, in fact. Just driving around was enough for me!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 10:07 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
But once I met Beedle at a stables I cheered up and as the game progressed I found the humour was there.

I wished Beedle would've had more to do though, I didn't find him very useful in that game.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:34 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
But once I met Beedle at a stables I cheered up and as the game progressed I found the humour was there.

I wished Beedle would've had more to do though, I didn't find him very useful in that game.

No, he doesn't. But it seems he has even less to do in WindWaker, he only ever seems to sell bait or pears.

It was more that I was just so pleased to see a 'character' - the only other person I'd met in the game up to that point was Zelda's dad's ghost. When compared to TP and Skyward Sword which are full of npcs at the start the game just felt empty and sad.