Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 7:30 pm

Thanks

traven
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 2:17 am

yes i get russell in the feed 8) , agree mostly but don't like him too much, only listening is ok though
maybe a little bit 20 years late, but with a modern-er spin

yes that was discussed also way back, (reuters: taxevasion to fund fundamentalism around the world?)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 2:28 pm

Trevor is clever. :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 5:57 pm

*tsk*

People are letting YouTube do their thinking for them.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
*tsk*

:roll:

Things were much better back when people let TV do their thinking for them. ;)

The problem isn't where people source their information, it's how much critical thinking they apply to the information.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 9:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Things were much better back when people let TV do their thinking for them.  The problem isn't where people source their information, it's how much critical thinking they apply to the information.
So the more correct thing to say is, "People are letting others do their thinking for them."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
So the more correct thing to say is, "People are letting others do their thinking for them."

I have no children and therefore had none in school in the 1990s, so I will relay what my brother said and what a some other parents who were friends and acquaintances in 3 different cities where I lived said to me during that decade; "I'm not finding where the school is teaching anything which even looks like critical thinking/deductive reasoning, and that really bothers me."

A few went further and added commentary along the lines of, "I'll do what I can, but I'm not sure I can win against what they get in school, especially after the kids hit their teens and I suddenly become the stupidest person on earth".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:20 pm

I do not recall any critical thinking skills being taught from the early 1960s through the mid-1970s.  Even my Philosophy courses in the late 1970s were less about critical thought than the latest version of Existentialism.

Instead, we were taught to memorize facts and formulas, to repeat whatever the instructors said, and to obey instructions without question.

Our educational system was never geared toward producing creative thinkers; but toward producing obedient robots.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Things were much better back when people let TV do their thinking for them.  The problem isn't where people source their information, it's how much critical thinking they apply to the information.

Definitely.

I don't believe newspapers vs. TV vs. internet makes any real difference, but failing to think about what you're being exposed to most certainly does.

Yes, there's lots of misinformation and disinformation available online, but if one checks sources against each other they should be able to start to see what's credible and what's not. Having lots of sources can mean there's more work to do, but it's not like 'credible' news never falls prey to disinformation. Remember the lead-up to the Iraq War 2? Lazy people bought the BS hook, line and sinker because they didn't question the narrative being beamed into their living rooms.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Definitely.

I don't believe newspapers vs. TV vs. internet makes any real difference, but failing to think about what you're being exposed to most certainly does.

Yes, there's lots of misinformation and disinformation available online, but if one checks sources against each other they should be able to start to see what's credible and what's not. Having lots of sources can mean there's more work to do, but it's not like 'credible' news never falls prey to disinformation. Remember the lead-up to the Iraq War 2? Lazy people bought the BS hook, line and sinker because they didn't question the narrative being beamed into their living rooms.
The trouble is (as was pointed out above) that people are not taught critical thinking skills.  They are taught instead to memorize whatever they are told, and to repeat it back without questioning it first.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
The trouble is (as was pointed out above) that people are not taught critical thinking skills.  They are taught instead to memorize whatever they are told, and to repeat it back without questioning it first.

I don't disagree.
Unfortunately I worry those in charge see that as a feature and not as a bug.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 3:40 pm

It would be really nice if those who like to use YouTube videos as arguments could:

1, Provide a summary of the video(s), so one does not have to watch 47 minutes and 6 seconds just to figure out what the message is really about

2. Provide an assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the argument in the video and the expertise/credibility of the person(s) presenting the argument.

3. And - if unable to do (1) and (2) - stop using YouTube videos as arguments.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 9:35 am

Warning: every car tire is equipped with a GPS chip with which the car can be tracked.
You can avoid this spying by cutting off the antenna. ; - )

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 3:53 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Warning: every car tire is equipped with a GPS chip with which the car can be tracked.
You can avoid this spying by cutting off the antenna. :wink:

:wink: The ironic thing is that someone will fall for it!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2022, 12:50 am

If you open your eyes a little, you will quickly come to the conclusion that planet Earth stands and falls by conspiracies.

In this case I mean the conspiracies between some commercial tech-companies and parts of the 'government'
I put 'government' between signs because this name is broadly (not everything) also a cover for big business.
The pieces of earth of the planet that some people call China and Russia will not be much different, by the way,

https://www.rt.com/usa/nsa-leak-snowden ... dates-482/

Edward Snowden is not a fool, quite the contrary in fact.