Social skills you have gotten better at

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FreeRoger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2021, 3:28 pm

What are two social skills you have improved? If you haven't improved any, what are your two worst?

Two best:
Sarcasm
Eye contact

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 3:56 pm

Sarcasm and not flying into a rage when someone has a different opinion. (Because generally that's reserved for egotistical people and I aspire to not be one.)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm

I am really good at sarcasm and I've gotten better at not info dumping every time I open my mouth... lol

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I have two cats, a rabbit, and a dog. I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I am really good at sarcasm and I've gotten better at not info dumping every time I open my mouth... lol

I struggle with that one.
And with coming off as insensitive without intending to.
And with rage.

I didn't get sarcasm when I was young but I do now. I'm better at using it than catching it though.
I'm usually pretty able to manage participating in a multi-person conversation.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

I didn't get sarcasm when I was young but I do now. I'm better at using it than catching it though.

If someone mentions one of my interests I still info dump without even noticing until afterwards. :oops: I don't start conversations with info dumps anymore, though.

I also am very bad at getting sarcasm irl, but I for some reason process it well online? I feel like it should work the opposite way...

I have two cats, a rabbit, and a dog. I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

If someone mentions one of my interests I still info dump without even noticing until afterwards. :oops: I don't start conversations with info dumps anymore, though.

I also am very bad at getting sarcasm irl, but I for some reason process it well online? I feel like it should work the opposite way...

I'm the same and I agree. There's more cues verbally and yet I get it better in text.

I find it comforting when I notice another person who likes to info dump because it signals we communicate in a similar way.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

I'm the same and I agree. There's more cues verbally and yet I get it better in text.

I find it comforting when I notice another person who likes to info dump because it signals we communicate in a similar way.

I noticed that a lot of the people I've ended up friends with also like to info dump. I genuinely like listening to other people do that because I always learn new things, and I like sharing a lot of info about things. It works out. lol

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:01 pm

I have gotten a bit better at being the first to quit a non-functional relationship, but that's about it. I still can't tell if I'm dealing with incompetence or malevolence when the question arises.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:24 pm

I don't talk about special interests any more to others (well, I don't have any special interests any more but if I did I'd know not to).

I don't feel so socially anxious in groups.

I love attending social gatherings, although it's something I've been unable to do in the past year thanks to the pandemic. I used to avoid social gatherings.

I seem more confident in making eye contact with strangers (eye contact has always been natural for me but I went through a phase of consciously avoiding eye contact when passing strangers in the street as I found it awkward).

I have learnt quite well not to complain about things all the time like I used to. As a child I was unable to "hear myself" whining and wondered why people would keep saying "stop moaning!" As an adult I know how to filter out my emotions when appropriate but I get alarmed when I do get told to stop moaning, but at least it doesn't get said to me as often as it would have done 15-20+ years ago.

I've gotten better at standing up for myself at work if I get blamed for something I didn't do, and in a more mature way.

I don't mask so much these days, I just be myself and this had made me realise that I don't need to mask much to get along with other people anyway.

I've got much better at sympathising.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

Technic1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2021, 11:54 pm

Death stare?