Social skills you have gotten better at

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FreeRoger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2021, 3:28 pm

What are two social skills you have improved? If you haven't improved any, what are your two worst?

Two best:
Sarcasm
Eye contact

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 3:56 pm

Sarcasm and not flying into a rage when someone has a different opinion. (Because generally that's reserved for egotistical people and I aspire to not be one.)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm

I am really good at sarcasm and I've gotten better at not info dumping every time I open my mouth... lol

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I am really good at sarcasm and I've gotten better at not info dumping every time I open my mouth... lol

I struggle with that one.
And with coming off as insensitive without intending to.
And with rage.

I didn't get sarcasm when I was young but I do now. I'm better at using it than catching it though.
I'm usually pretty able to manage participating in a multi-person conversation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

I didn't get sarcasm when I was young but I do now. I'm better at using it than catching it though.

If someone mentions one of my interests I still info dump without even noticing until afterwards. :oops: I don't start conversations with info dumps anymore, though.

I also am very bad at getting sarcasm irl, but I for some reason process it well online? I feel like it should work the opposite way...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

If someone mentions one of my interests I still info dump without even noticing until afterwards. :oops: I don't start conversations with info dumps anymore, though.

I also am very bad at getting sarcasm irl, but I for some reason process it well online? I feel like it should work the opposite way...

I'm the same and I agree. There's more cues verbally and yet I get it better in text.

I find it comforting when I notice another person who likes to info dump because it signals we communicate in a similar way.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

And with rage.

I'm the same and I agree. There's more cues verbally and yet I get it better in text.

I find it comforting when I notice another person who likes to info dump because it signals we communicate in a similar way.

I noticed that a lot of the people I've ended up friends with also like to info dump. I genuinely like listening to other people do that because I always learn new things, and I like sharing a lot of info about things. It works out. lol

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:01 pm

I have gotten a bit better at being the first to quit a non-functional relationship, but that's about it. I still can't tell if I'm dealing with incompetence or malevolence when the question arises.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:24 pm

I don't talk about special interests any more to others (well, I don't have any special interests any more but if I did I'd know not to).

I don't feel so socially anxious in groups.

I love attending social gatherings, although it's something I've been unable to do in the past year thanks to the pandemic. I used to avoid social gatherings.

I seem more confident in making eye contact with strangers (eye contact has always been natural for me but I went through a phase of consciously avoiding eye contact when passing strangers in the street as I found it awkward).

I have learnt quite well not to complain about things all the time like I used to. As a child I was unable to "hear myself" whining and wondered why people would keep saying "stop moaning!" As an adult I know how to filter out my emotions when appropriate but I get alarmed when I do get told to stop moaning, but at least it doesn't get said to me as often as it would have done 15-20+ years ago.

I've gotten better at standing up for myself at work if I get blamed for something I didn't do, and in a more mature way.

I don't mask so much these days, I just be myself and this had made me realise that I don't need to mask much to get along with other people anyway.

I've got much better at sympathising.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2021, 11:54 pm

Death stare?