WP's robot check thinks a hovercraft is a boat

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:54 pm

Wrong Planet's robot check thing apparently thinks a hovercraft is a boat.
It failed me since I didn't say a hovercraft is a boat.

If a hovercraft is a boat why does the US Coast Guard, who one would presume by definition know a boat when they see one, discuss their hovercraft in their aviation section?
https://cgaviationhistory.org/1970-eval ... conducted/

and then let me ask you this, hovercraft self-propel themselves on land using the same drive components it does on water, how many boats self-propel themselves on land using the very same components with which they propel themselves in water?

(edit - and yes, I do know about amphibs, Dad was on LST 1126, Snohomish County)
amphibs are also not boats, they are amphibians, which, oddly enough, is why they are called amphibians instead of boats

And then there's,
"Dude, you are asking an ASPIE if a hovercraft is a boat & expecting them to say boat - take a couple steps back and think that through!! !"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 5:22 pm

They also say to find bicycles, but show tricycles, tandems and even a triplet!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 5:30 pm

Next thing ya know it will be insisting you tell it bacon is pork chops.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 7:16 pm

A capital crime.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:45 pm

The robot check here is crap and weird. It seems to only check me if I have too many quotes in a post, and you have to look at not one but TWO pictures, and after you done it it says "bad request", so you have to go all the way back to your post and resubmit, then it accepts your post. It takes several moments of my precious time, people! Just like the unskippable 20-second ads on YouTube! Those 20 seconds feel longer than 20 seconds!! !

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 12:28 am

I've tried to figure out ways around it, but haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm not sure exactly what triggers it.
Certain blacklisted words, I would assume?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 4:19 pm

It guards us from spammers by hassling us ONLY when we do NOT act like spammers.

A spammer would never respond to a thread. Only start a thread with an original post. And a spammer would never use the quote feature on another post.

But I never get hassled when making an original post, and ONLY get hassled when quoting someone on an existing thread.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm

Captcha is still running ... ?  Wow!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:51 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've tried to figure out ways around it, but haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm not sure exactly what triggers it.
Certain blacklisted words, I would assume?

In my experience I've only suspected a trigger word once. It's mostly longer posts with lots of BB code formatting [ ] that sets it off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 8:52 am

Longer posts with lots of quotation marks will trigger the "robot check."

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 6:50 pm

What Joe90 said...except she didn't mention a magnifying glass. I have old eyes and the things I'm supposed to find in those pictures are little.

It is not the only WP robot that has picked on me recently, though.

Mountain Goat started this bit of silliness in the "Television, Film, and Video" category. dragonsanddemons beat me to a Doctor Who reference so I tried to do a Max Headroom reference. The censor robot pounced on the punchline:

The Bryce Lynch institute thinks it can produce an automated polywater cracker.
Apparently misinterpreting my ambiguous reference to a food item/industrial construct as being an offensive slang term. (I don't know if the word "lynch" being in the same sentence was a contributing factor.)

Background info:
-- There is no such thing as "polywater." Back in the 60's someone thought they'd discovered a new form of water with strange properties--it turned out what they had really discovered was impurities in their lab equipment caused confusion.
-- "Bryce Lynch" was a character in Max Headroom who, in the first episode, created a computer-simulated, virtual parrot.
-- And, at least to me, "polywater cracker" sounds like "Polly want a cracker".

Last edited by Cornflake on 21 May 2021, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.: Please don't attempt to bypass the auto-censor

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 12:17 am

Mikah wrote:
In my experience I've only suspected a trigger word once. It's mostly longer posts with lots of BB code formatting [ ] that sets it off.

Hmm, I'll have to test that out next time it pops up. Thanks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:39 am

testing testing

polywater cracker

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:41 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didnt expect THAT!

I posted the phrase "polywater cracker" to see if it would trigger the Captcha (in reference to Double Retired's post). .

It did not.

But it DID "bleep out" the word "cracker".

I guess the computer thinks of "cracker" as the White equivalent of the N word, and censors it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:49 am

Damned racist parrots!

But...a hovercraft is a modern vehicle of ambiguous affiliation. Could be called either a boat, or an aircraft. It doesnt displace water but it is usually used to cross bodies of water.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 8:54 am

David Lynch is a polywater cracker.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.