WP's robot check thinks a hovercraft is a boat

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 10:02 am

Double Retired wrote:
What Joe90 said...except she didn't mention a magnifying glass. I have old eyes and the things I'm supposed to find in those pictures are little.

It is not the only WP robot that has picked on me recently, though.

Mountain Goat started this bit of silliness in the "Television, Film, and Video" category. dragonsanddemons beat me to a Doctor Who reference so I tried to do a Max Headroom reference. The censor robot pounced on the punchline:

The Bryce Lynch institute thinks it can produce an automated polywater cracker.
Apparently misinterpreting my ambiguous reference to a food item/industrial construct as being an offensive slang term. (I don't know if the word "lynch" being in the same sentence was a contributing factor.)

Background info:
-- There is no such thing as "polywater." Back in the 60's someone thought they'd discovered a new form of water with strange properties--it turned out what they had really discovered was impurities in their lab equipment caused confusion.
-- "Bryce Lynch" was a character in Max Headroom who, in the first episode, created a computer-simulated, virtual parrot.
-- And, at least to me, "polywater cracker" sounds like "Polly want a cracker".

Or...it sounds like this:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 May 2021, 11:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I guess the computer thinks of "cr****r" as the White equivalent of the N word, and censors it.
That's exactly it.

As a general note - please don't attempt to bypass WP's auto-censor. It may be blunt and it may even be prudish, but it does allow certain freedoms with otherwise offensive language.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 11:44 pm

Hmm, I don't know about this "too many quotes" theory. I've just recently been attacked by the ReCaptcha TWICE, and only had two quotes in it.
But I can do 4-6 quotes in a post and get away scot-free.

I didn't even know we had an auto-censor here.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 10:16 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Hmm, I don't know about this "too many quotes" theory. I've just recently been attacked by the ReCaptcha TWICE, and only had two quotes in it.
I have not figured out the pattern on when ReCaptcha picks on me. I do tend to put hyperlinks in my posts...that might be a factor.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
That's good, right? If you tried to post a lot of objectionable stuff then you would've known. I wander around the web a lot. I do a little e-mail. WP is my first, and so far only, social media use...I find the mood here, overall, to be quite nice. If there was a lot of objectionable stuff I would find that to be...well...objectionable. I don't use foul language myself--I suspect that might be at least partly an Aspie-related "symptom".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 4:43 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Which kind of "quotes" do you mean?

Just using quotation marks (what Krafty said)?

Or do you mean using the quote button to capture an entire previous post- as I did here?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 10:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Which kind of "quotes" do you mean?

I meant the BBCode quotes, as Mikah said, but now that I go back, I see that Kraftie said "quotation marks".

Mikah wrote:
In my experience I've only suspected a trigger word once. It's mostly longer posts with lots of BB code formatting [ ] that sets it off.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Longer posts with lots of quotation marks will trigger the "robot check."

I'm still going to go with my "blacklisted words" theory until a mod confirms otherwise.

(this post has three quotes and eight quotation marks and did not trigger the Recaptcha's Wrath)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2021, 8:57 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm still going to go with my "blacklisted words" theory until a mod confirms otherwise.
Sorry, that's not it - at least, not in isolation. :wink:
From my experiences it's some combination of length, the number of BBCode-quoted text blocks, and time.

I very, very rarely get a challenge for short, quick responses but the more time I spend on a lengthy reply the chance of a challenge increases.
Irritatingly, I can preview time after time with no challenge yet as soon as I post it I get challenged.

That causes a problem because after carefully counting bicycles/boats/hovercraft, an error message is always produced which implies that my post is lost - but two "browser back" button clicks later I am back at my post's edit screen, and it can now be submitted without challenge.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 10:36 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I very, very rarely get a challenge for short, quick responses but the more time I spend on a lengthy reply the chance of a challenge increases.

Hmm, that seems like the opposite of something a bot would do?
Maybe that's why copy'n'paste replies have more luck than typing them out the first time.
When I used to PM people on here, I would just type everything out in WordPad first, and then paste it over here.

Cornflake wrote:
That causes a problem because after carefully counting bicycles/boats/hovercraft, an error message is always produced which implies that my post is lost - but two "browser back" button clicks later I am back at my post's edit screen, and it can now be submitted without challenge.

As soon as reCaptcha pops up, I hit the back button and copy all of my text.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2021, 8:38 am

That's a good point about copy/pasting a completed reply, and something I regularly did with any reasonably detailed response back in the dark days of the earlier version of the forum software. There, the challenge was far too aggressive and would pop up like something demented, determined to ruin every post long or short. :shaking2:

So pasting a reply completed elsewhere which doesn't then generate a challenge seems to indicate that time spent editing on WP is increasing the odds of a challenge.

But old habits die hard so I often copy/paste a lengthy response as I write it, relying on the simple sequence of: Ctrl-A inside the edit window to select all text, Ctrl-C to copy it, click anywhere in the edit window to deselect, to avoid accidental over-typing - then, Alt-Tab to the plain text editor (Notepad, or whatever) and paste it there with Ctrl-V. Having first opened the editor on a new, temporary file ("junk" seems popular here :lol: ) I now do Ctrl-S to save it.

Once an edit is underway this becomes Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, click, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Z to remove the previous paste, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-S, Alt-Tab back to the post edit window.
Bullet and reCaptcha proof. 8)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2021, 10:19 am

Brewster Rockit viewpoint.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2022, 2:55 pm

One time the captcha actually showed me a picture of a house-boat when I was told to select all boats. I guessed not to select it & that did not work so then I selected it & it still did not work so I clicked on Skip & thankfully the next check let me through. I guess the captcha system did not know themselves if a house-boat was a boat or not & decided both choices were wrong. The captcha sometimes tells me to click all trucks & pickup trucks do not count as trucks but 18wheelers & buses count as trucks. I understand 18wheelers being trucks but I don't understand why a bus is considered a truck instead of a pickup, pickups are called pickup trucks in their name sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition