Was it me or were the Oscars terrible this year?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 10:51 pm

It seemed that mostly the celebrities mostly just whined about how crappy America is, and how crappy life is, and all the crap they had to go through to this far, and it was just really depressing and sad. Unless it's just me, or did anyone else think so?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 8:40 am

The Academy Awards show has always been how the Hollywood entertainment industry pleasures itself by encouraging the entertainers to stroke each others' egos on-camera.

:roll: It is a total waste of effort, money, and air-time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2021, 11:47 pm

I feel like I don't fit in with the pro-Oscars or the anti-Oscars crowd because I never watch the ceremony, but I always follow the nominees and the winners. I also try to watch all or most of the best picture nominees and any that won one of the major awards (that is, acting or screenplay).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 8:29 pm

I didn't bother watching them this year.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 8:43 pm

Well they let the winners go on as long as they pleased which some people think was actually a good thing. Plus Chadwick Boseman fans got screwed over. I enjoyed watching the H.E.R. performance. Good music is coming back! Overall I enjoyed watching but didn't stay up for the whole thing.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 11:57 pm

Well another thing about the Oscars nominees this year is that some people online complained about the nominees being too depressing, and they wanted more escapist movies this year because of covid.

But if this is true, doesn't this contradict what people wanted a couple of years ago, when people kept complaining that Hollywood makes all this non-serious escapist garbage and they want more serious and challenging movies about serious issues.

Now those movies come out, like people asked for a couple of years ago, and they got it, and now they complain they are too depressed by them and want escapist movies now.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2021, 9:10 pm

I think people forget that the Oscars are an industry event. They were gradually turned into a public spectacle, which was great for media companies, but they are still ultimately events by and for Hollywood. They are not a popularity contest. The winners and losers are decided by the academy for their own reasons. We don't care about big oil rig industry events, or whatever, but because most people watch movies we almost seem to feel entitled to the Oscars reflecting our own opinions. I certainly like when something I like gets an award, and seeing something win or get nominated might make me take notice of it, but I'm not too emotionally attached to them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 8:56 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I think people forget that the Oscars are an industry event. They were gradually turned into a public spectacle, which was great for media companies, but they are still ultimately events by and for Hollywood. They are not a popularity contest. The winners and losers are decided by the academy for their own reasons...
I disagree.  What is a democratic vote but a popularity contest?  AMPAS members decide which of their own shall be lauded and applauded each year based on how popular they are within the academy -- not necessarily on how well they performed their jobs.

Case in point: Who should have won the Best Director award in 2010 -- Katherine Bigelow ("Hurt Locker") or her ex-husband James Cameron ("Avatar")?  Which of these two is the all-around better director?

It is very much like Student Council in high school -- it does not matter what kind of grades you earn as long as most of the other student like you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 12:17 am

I almost never watch award ceremonies, they don't really interest me, and are usually terrible.
I would not expect this year to be any different =)

HelHelly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2021, 8:48 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I didn't bother watching them this year.

Neither did I. Being disappointed by it the previous years, I decided not to watch it this year.

RobZombie
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2021, 4:02 pm

Sir Anthony Hopkins won the best supporting actor, a fellow Aspie. How cool is that?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:25 pm

Oh hey, a celebrity joins us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 8:58 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
It must be the fashionable thing for celebrities to do, these days.

RobZombie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2021, 1:11 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

:lol: