Why not make language your interest???

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2021, 12:16 am

It makes sense to read about language, psychology, communication, and English ect! Don’t you agree?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 8:33 am

Linguistic study is no more important than any other HASS program.

STEM is where one's focus should be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 8:34 am

It is just not for me. Communication was my weakest subject in school. I hated English classes as they were ones that I struggled with. Same can be said for language classes. Psychology courses I had no problem with as I can see them as an extension of the social sciences. My mother and sister are both language people. They will not talk to me about science, math or history because they hate those subjects, the same ones that I am good at.

I got better with writing in college after being exposed to assignment after assignment, report after long report. Hell, I wrote a 300+ page dissertation in six weeks in grad school just to earn my doctorate. It passed, but with six months of revisions to do. It was not fun. My brain is just not setup that way.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2021, 9:00 am

What about verbosity and syntax ect to eradicate communication issues?

Body language study’s too?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:02 am

How about just saying what you mean and meaning what you say?

There is no need to get all 'meta' about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2021, 9:12 am

Because the majority does not do that and they don’t have these problems that aspies do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:17 am

Do you think that obsessing over every subtlety and nuance of a person's native language will enable a person to communicate more effectively?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:19 am

Fnord wrote:
Linguistic study is no more important than any other HASS program.

STEM is where one's focus should be.

I'm kinda lost here, I'm not following how Human Animal Support Services fit in to this conversation.
:?: :?: :?:
https://www.humananimalsupportservices.org/

But what I'm not lost on, is that since language is what is utilized to communicate and teach and utilize STEM, all are equally important.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:22 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Linguistic study is no more important than any other HASS program.  STEM is where one's focus should be.
I'm kinda lost here, I'm not following how Human Animal Support Services fit in to this conversation...
Taken within the context of both sentences I posted, "HASS" stands for "Humanities, Arts, and Social-Sciences".

"STEM", by the way, stands for "Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics".

Last edited by Fnord on 27 Apr 2021, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:23 am

Technic1 wrote:
... to eradicate communication issues?

The only way I can see to eradicate, eliminate, interpersonal communication issues is for every person who has ever existed, is existing, or will exist, to have identical life experience and context.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Taken within the context of both sentences I posted, "HASS" stands for "Humanities, Arts, and Social-Sciences". "STEM", by the way, stands for "Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics".

I'd never heard that HASS before but having long been interested in spaceflight I've seen, heard, known, STEM for decades.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:26 am

How would knowing the difference between accusative and genitive modes of speech enhance communications among aspies, or between aspies and NTs?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2021, 9:41 am

Fnord wrote:
Do you think that obsessing over every subtlety and nuance of a person's native language will enable a person to communicate more effectively?

Yes, it’s learning...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:45 am

Technic1 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, it’s learning...
No, it produces stuttering, stammering, and misarticulation as the speaker struggles and stumbles to determine the correct words, their correct order, and their correct pronunciation within the context of the conversation, and with regard to the education and perceptions of the other participants within that conversation.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 10:27 am

Technic1 wrote:
It makes sense to read about language, psychology, communication, and English ect! Don’t you agree?

If it makes sense for you, it makes sense for you. Different people, including different autistic people, have different strengths and weaknesses. If you feel that it would help you, or if you just find it interesting, go ahead and pursue it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 10:35 am

Fnord wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, it’s learning...
No, it produces stuttering, stammering, and misarticulation as the speaker struggles and stumbles to determine the correct words, their correct order, and their correct pronunciation within the context of the conversation, and with regard to the education and perceptions of the other participants within that conversation.

For some people, it may produce these undesirable effects temporarily until they get sufficient practice, after which they really do become better at speaking and/or writing.

Different people differ in what kinds of studies they can benefit from. If someone is motivated to improve oneself in a particular way, I see no reason to discourage it.

I agree with you that people should study STEM if possible, but not necessarily to the exclusion of everything else.