Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2021, 2:31 pm

Please tell me if this has been addressed in a previous topic but I'm just looking for some answers on something. I've been diagnosed with add as well as autism and I struggle to focus on anything that isn't a special interest or connected to them in some way. Why is that?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 2:46 pm

Aladar wrote:
Please tell me if this has been addressed in a previous topic but I'm just looking for some answers on something. I've been diagnosed with add as well as autism and I struggle to focus on anything that isn't a special interest or connected to them in some way. Why is that?

I hope I don't sound cheeky, but it's likely because you have ADD and ASD. :P Honestly, that's exactly how both conditions would present. Do you get therapy or take meds for the ADD?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 3:00 pm

One idea is "self medicating" - your special interest triggers adrenaline which is a close cousin to noradrenaline also called norepinephrine. This is one of the chemicals used to treat ADHD - I take a SNRI, Selective Norepenepherine Reuptake Inhibiter to treat my ADHD.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01- ... ffect.html

No-one really understands the brain completely - there are a lot of theories.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 3:07 pm

I have combined-type ADHD and ASD. I take an atypical SSRI and an ADHD stimulant. I also have therapy with a psychologist, a neuropsychiatrist, and an occupational therapist. It's helped quite a bit but I'll always be "me".

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2021, 3:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Aladar wrote:

I hope I don't sound cheeky, but it's likely because you have ADD and ASD. :P Honestly, that's exactly how both conditions would present. Do you get therapy or take meds for the ADD?

i'm not currently in a situation where medications are viable but i've got an intake interview later today at a therapy center. I appreciate the response and don't worry. You don't sound cheeky, i just always thought if it was the add i wouldn't be able to focus worth a damn on anything lol.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 3:43 pm

My son is ADHD + ASD.
ASD usually has comorbid anxiety and stimulant medications like Ritalin work by impacting the dopamine system which can help to engage the "executive function" / frontal cortex. However they can also make anxiety worse.
Atomoxotine isn't a stimulant and should be tried first if you are ADHD and ASD.

How do you tolerate caffeine? I self medicate with dark chocolate and tea - it helps sometimes. Used to do coffee - too many side effects.

Pills don't teach skills - even when I take my meds I still need to work at focus - but it seems to work out better when I take my meds. A "body double" or "study buddy" or "focus buddy" can also help.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 5:41 pm

People with ADD tend to have trouble focusing. I know I do (I have ADHD). I'm into writing but the only time I can write for long periods of time without losing focus is in the bath! Sitting in hot water seems to help me focus and I can sit still. Also I can't watch a movie without laying down comfortably (unless I'm at the cinema, but I do tend to squirm in my seat).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 5:47 pm

Aladar wrote:

Haha. If you knew me, almost everything about me that is not relating to my beliefs in God, is relating to one of my hobbies. My hobbies surround me. They are a big part of what I do and who I am. I can spend ages and ages exploring them, and yet any subject outside my hobby comfort zone I find hard to study or even look at.

If I can "Latch" onto a subject I can keep going and going into depths others did not realize were there. BUT, if I can't latch onto a subject, even scratching the surface and I find it tough going, and I can't get my mind to take it in. It just does not want to stay in my memory somehow!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 6:08 pm

Aladar wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Aladar wrote:

i'm not currently in a situation where medications are viable but i've got an intake interview later today at a therapy center. I appreciate the response and don't worry. You don't sound cheeky, i just always thought if it was the add i wouldn't be able to focus worth a damn on anything lol.

Your ASD will allow you to focus on special interests, and your ADD will make most other things more difficult.

Good luck at your intake!

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2021, 10:42 pm

Update: my first appointment is on the 6th and my soon to be therapist told me its a problem with my executive functioning due to the autism and add double teaming on me like cap and Bucky vs iron man in civil war thx for your input everyone that responded you were basically on the money may the force be with you all :heart:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 12:23 pm

I like the marvel movie reference.
Executive Function as a singular noun is a "group of functions" (Like "the Avengers") together they have a job to do.
Executive Functions as a plural noun is about the individual functions (Like Cap and Ironman and Wanda) when they work together they can do great things, sometimes they end up tripping each other up (like in Civil War).
Studies show that both ADHD and ASD affect different executive functions - or some say ADHD and ASD are a result of different Executive Functions working too much or too little, and not working well together.
The EFs that ADHD typically hits are slightly different than the EFs that ASD hit - like ADHD messing up Cap and Ironman and ASD messing up Ironman and Wanda.

The other analogy I use is a team of 6 horses pulling a wagon (Like in Cinderella or an old Cowboy movie). When the horses all pull in the same direction the wagon can move very well and very fast (Like your special interest) but when they are trying to run in different directions, or one horse is trying to jump over another the horses are "confused" and not only is the wagon going no place, but it may get smashed up or take a long time to get the reins untangled (like when you just CANNOT focus). You can be very smart (have a good team of strong horses) but if your EFs aren't working together (your horses are confused) you are going no place.

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2021, 12:26 am

Fenn wrote:
I like the marvel movie reference.
Executive Function as a singular noun is a "group of functions" (Like "the Avengers") together they have a job to do.
Executive Functions as a plural noun is about the individual functions (Like Cap and Ironman and Wanda) when they work together they can do great things, sometimes they end up tripping each other up (like in Civil War).
Studies show that both ADHD and ASD affect different executive functions - or some say ADHD and ASD are a result of different Executive Functions working too much or too little, and not working well together.
The EFs that ADHD typically hits are slightly different than the EFs that ASD hit - like ADHD messing up Cap and Ironman and ASD messing up Ironman and Wanda.

The other analogy I use is a team of 6 horses pulling a wagon (Like in Cinderella or an old Cowboy movie). When the horses all pull in the same direction the wagon can move very well and very fast (Like your special interest) but when they are trying to run in different directions, or one horse is trying to jump over another the horses are "confused" and not only is the wagon going no place, but it may get smashed up or take a long time to get the reins untangled (like when you just CANNOT focus). You can be very smart (have a good team of strong horses) but if your EFs aren't working together (your horses are confused) you are going no place.

that actually makes a lot of sense thanks for the cool analogies