Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2021, 6:06 pm

I have Autism and Schizophrenia. I didnt tell my counselor about my Schizophrenia. I felt uncomfortable about mentioning it.

They know I have autism though. I feel like I'm not being honest.

Should I also tell other people I know? I hardly ever tell people because I'm scared.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm

A difficult one, because though one may not want to share, a counsellor may need to know so they can make more sense of what you say.
One thing about counselling is that what is said has to stay between you and the other person, as it is private. Counsellors rely on their ability to keep what has been said to them confidential, and they will only share with your permission unless they have to act to protect your life or the lives of others, which would be extremely rare occurances... But other then that, they have to keep whatis said personal between you and them unless they reccomend a third party to help you if needed but that would always be with your permission.
Their reputation relies on keeping things private and they only will act if they really have to, as nearly all counselling is letting you speak out and explore your mind. They will only chip in with advice when they have to because most of counselling is you unloading your deep emotions and thoughts.
Counselling does not work so well if you hold back... Though how much you share is up to you. Do not worry though. Counsellors have heard all sorts of things before so nothing much will surprize them, and their job is to help you unload, and point you in the right direction. Sometimes it is just to unload.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 7:15 pm

If they're counselling you for mental health concerns you should probably let them know what exactly they're dealing with.

I wouldn't tell most people, but people who have mental health issues that you trust and doctors are probably two categories of people who are least likely to stigmatize you.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If they're counselling you for mental health concerns you should probably let them know what exactly they're dealing with.

I wouldn't tell most people, but people who have mental health issues that you trust and doctors are probably two categories of people who are least likely to stigmatize you.

Yeah. I think I will have to tell them.

I have told people I thought I could trust but they didn't really understand. I told my friend who has autism. He already knew that I have Autism. He started treating me differently.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2021, 9:34 pm

Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I have told people I thought I could trust but they didn't really understand. I told my friend who has autism. He already knew that I have Autism. He started treating me differently.

That sucks, schizophrenia probably has even more of a stigma than autism does. I've had friends with it before and read about it a fair bit, sometimes I forget that people can be more judgmental than I tend to be on these things because I don't feel like I'm in much position to judge anyone.

It's sad to hear because I'm sure your friend knows what it's like to disclose and get treated differently as a result, but like... then he does it too.

The counsellor can probably be trusted more than most friends because they have training specific for dealing with all sorts of issues, a deeper understanding of them than most people and it's their damn job so they better not be judging the people who make their career possible.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2021, 9:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That sucks, schizophrenia probably has even more of a stigma than autism does. I've had friends with it before and read about it a fair bit, sometimes I forget that people can be more judgmental than I tend to be on these things because I don't feel like I'm in much position to judge anyone.

It's sad to hear because I'm sure your friend knows what it's like to disclose and get treated differently as a result, but like... then he does it too.

The counsellor can probably be trusted more than most friends because they have training specific for dealing with all sorts of issues, a deeper understanding of them than most people and it's their damn job so they better not be judging the people who make their career possible.

Yeah. It is stigmatized. Some days I wish I didnt have any diagnoses.

My friend was very insensitive. We are no longer friends. He actually started ignoring me because he didnt like me as a friend.

Yeah. I still feel uncomfortable telling them. But I think I will. It's an important thing for them to know.