Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,276

27 Apr 2021, 7:23 pm

Incredible footage has shown a “UFO” narrowly missing the SpaceX rocket on its way to the Space Station - just hours before the astronauts on board were told to brace for a crash in a second near-miss.

Image

The round object has been conveniently lablled as "space debri by NASA"



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,465
Location: I'm right here

27 Apr 2021, 7:24 pm

Is it still a UFO if it's orbiting or in space?


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,701
Location: Stendec

27 Apr 2021, 7:31 pm

It was identified as orbiting space junk, so it was not a "UFO" ("Unidentified Flying Object").


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,276

27 Apr 2021, 7:33 pm

Technically it's unidentifiable so yes....UFO



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,465
Location: I'm right here

27 Apr 2021, 7:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Technically it's unidentifiable so yes....UFO


The F is what I was questioning. It's a UOO if it's orbiting. 8)


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,232
Location: Missouri

27 Apr 2021, 7:43 pm

Hmm, that may be the first time I've seen the Daily Mail de-sensationalize an event,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ebris.html

Quote:
False alarm for SpaceX: Space Command blames 'reporting error' after crew were told to buckle up and brace for 'collision with unknown object'

SpaceX launch on Friday saw two separate events which triggered concern among viewers
First instance occurred 12 minutes after launch when the capsule separated from the Falcon 9 rocket
The SpaceX livestream showed a small circular item drift across the screen. This was harmless
Six hours later, the SpaceX astronauts were alerted by ground control of a potential crash with space debris
SpaceX radioed the crew, telling them to put their suits on, lower their visors and get back in their seats
Capsule completed its journey without further issue. The alert has since been deemed a 'false alarm'
Officials now say the second event was a 'reporting issue' and there was 'never a collision threat'


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,276

27 Apr 2021, 8:55 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Hmm, that may be the first time I've seen the Daily Mail de-sensationalize an event,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ebris.html
Quote:
False alarm for SpaceX: Space Command blames 'reporting error' after crew were told to buckle up and brace for 'collision with unknown object'


Yes the object was actually 45km away but if you look at the image it seems quite large....what the heck is it?



old_comedywriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Location: Somewhere west of where you are

27 Apr 2021, 9:26 pm

Damn aliens, never using their turn signals...


_________________
It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,232
Location: Missouri

27 Apr 2021, 10:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Yes the object was actually 45km away but if you look at the image it seems quite large....what the heck is it?

Two different events are getting scrambled together in the news and social media yapping, the collision possibility and the moving object video.
Those are not the same event.

That object in that image/video isn't 45km away, it passes between camera and receding stage, and in fact comes out of the bundle of wiring at upper left at around 5:02 here,


Green arrows bracket that blob,

Image

The moving object in the video is,
Quote:
As the Dragon capsule containing the people separated from the Falcon 9 second stage a small, circular fragment drifted across the screen, floating between the recently parted sections of the spacecraft.

It remains unknown if this was a piece of debris or a fragment of the spaceship itself, but it posed no threat to the mission. The most likely explanation is it was a mechanical part of the mission which was prised loose by the enormous forces created by the detaching segments.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,932
Location: temperate zone

28 Apr 2021, 2:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Technically it's unidentifiable so yes....UFO


The F is what I was questioning. It's a UOO if it's orbiting. 8)


You would have to ask Smokey Robinson.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,276

29 Apr 2021, 1:10 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Yes the object was actually 45km away but if you look at the image it seems quite large....what the heck is it?

Two different events are getting scrambled together in the news and social media yapping, the collision possibility and the moving object video.
Those are not the same event.

That object in that image/video isn't 45km away, it passes between camera and receding stage, and in fact comes out of the bundle of wiring at upper left at around 5:02 here,


Green arrows bracket that blob,

Image

The moving object in the video is,
Quote:
As the Dragon capsule containing the people separated from the Falcon 9 second stage a small, circular fragment drifted across the screen, floating between the recently parted sections of the spacecraft.

It remains unknown if this was a piece of debris or a fragment of the spaceship itself, but it posed no threat to the mission. The most likely explanation is it was a mechanical part of the mission which was prised loose by the enormous forces created by the detaching segments.


Any boffins want to explain how ice can look like a projectile?
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/unidentified- ... 38899.html



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,932
Location: temperate zone

29 Apr 2021, 10:08 am

Ice is often used as a projectile on earth. Every hear of snowball fights?



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,304

29 Apr 2021, 10:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Incredible footage has shown a “UFO” narrowly missing the SpaceX rocket on its way to the Space Station - just hours before the astronauts on board were told to brace for a crash in a second near-miss.

Image

The round object has been conveniently lablled as "space debri by NASA"


Probably just a cow pat. They get everywhere!



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,932
Location: temperate zone

29 Apr 2021, 10:24 am

The thing flies right between two space ships as the two space ships uncouple from each other. Zips right between them when theyre barely inches apart.

Like a kid on a motorbike driving between a tractor and the trailer its just uncoupled from. If an alien was piloting the object it was a rather adolescent daredevil alien.



kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,232
Location: Missouri

29 Apr 2021, 11:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
Any boffins want to explain how ice can look like a projectile?
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/unidentified- ... 38899.html


I have shown you reality, you have flatly rejected reality, go back to waving your MAGA hat.


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,276

29 Apr 2021, 6:43 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Any boffins want to explain how ice can look like a projectile?
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/unidentified- ... 38899.html


I have shown you reality, you have flatly rejected reality, go back to waving your MAGA hat.


Wait what?

I'm asking (from the video) how a after the booster was released (and there was an outward thrust) how a dark disc shaped projectile came rolling (really fast) between the booster and the ship in the opposite direction from the thrust which seem to push everything away?

It's actually a physics/aerospace engineering question relating to OHSE