28 Apr 2021, 3:15 am

I saw it on BBC and the more I look at it, the more I love it:
It's great on so many levels! :heart:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 5:02 am

The way mother and child are looking at each other, and the streams of natural light falling on each person; these are the things that caught my eye.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Apr 2021, 5:28 am

Yes, the light brings to mind the best Dutch paintings :D
But I think I resonate with yet another dimension of this painting - it's hard to find the right words but the rusty place with makeshift repairs and a loving family inside remind me of my own childhood - in a positive, endearing sense. I suddenly find people from a completely different part of the world relatable about something I struggle to explain on WP. Economical poverty but not social one.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 8:19 am

Huaifeng Li (China) started to study photography in 2011 and joined the China Photographers Association (CPA) in 2014.  In recent few years, he has been focusing on humanities documentary photography in areas such as Daliangshan, Tibet, and Ningxia in Sichuan and has made numerous photographic works.  Huaifeng Li has been named Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021 for an image titled "Taste", taken in Licheng, Shanxi, China.

The depicted dwelling is a traditional yaodong ('kiln cave'), carved into a hillside on the Loess Plateau in central China.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Apr 2021, 9:44 am

Fnord wrote:
The depicted dwelling is a traditional yaodong ('kiln cave'), carved into a hillside on the Loess Plateau in central China.
That explains this everyday air of normality contrasting to me with the flaking off walls reinforced with newspapers so they don't spill to the pot :) If this kind of dwelling is traditional in the region, that's what they find normal and it relates to my chidlhood memories when things weren't as polished as they are now here.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2021, 11:20 pm

magz wrote:
Yes, the light brings to mind the best Dutch paintings :D
But I think I resonate with yet another dimension of this painting - it's hard to find the right words but the rusty place with makeshift repairs and a loving family inside remind me of my own childhood - in a positive, endearing sense. I suddenly find people from a completely different part of the world relatable about something I struggle to explain on WP. Economical poverty but not social one.

Thanks for sharing, it's a beautiful photograph. I agree completely about what you said about your childhood. My best memories are when me and my brother were baking in the kitchen with mom. We really struggled financially back then but I didn't really feel it so much. Because my mom always made the best of what we had and made it fun for us. She was very resourceful and always seemed to have enough ingredients hidden away to make a cake, brownies or cookies regularly. When the house is filled with smell of sweets baking it kinda makes all the rust and hardships wash away. Like that saying "all sorrows are better with bread", my mom's was that they were better with dessert :heart:

So yeah, I agree with you financial instability doesn't necessarily equate to unhappiness. And I think this picture definitely shows that quality family time and bonds are what bring happiness for many.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 11:35 pm

It's stunning magz. I can't believe it's not an oil painting.