Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2021, 4:28 am

What about savant skills such that are not subjects?

Such as:

Learning
Knowledge
Wisdom
Memory
Decision making
Ect...?

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:37 am

Either I don't got one or its just plain outright being weird.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:39 am

In the eyes of others, apparently I spot connections or patterns that others miss.

In my eyes, i am just pedantic when I am interested in something.

Also intelletually bright but socailly thick.,

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:40 am

People see me as an idoiot

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 5:40 am

Their feelings are too sensitive

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2021, 5:44 am

Pattern recognition is a good savant skill to have...

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2021, 9:34 am

I doubt I have a savant skill but I do have spider senses :spiderman:

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 11:48 am

Isn't savant skill only applicable if you are mentally-challenged? (Have low IQ). For those of us with IQ above 80, our skills and talents are just regular skills. :)

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm

^ That is the medical definition

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2021, 12:30 pm

Mine is an un-nameable "IT," that makes the next logical statement or asks the next logical question in a "gob of anythings" that have no logical structure "yet (?!)." IT is spikey (above), spidey-ish (above), pattern-ish (above), scarry, demanding, moral, spiteful, twitchey & "will-full(?!)." It blocks out all normal, social & usual!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 12:44 pm

Music, I guess? It just doesn't express itself in a typically savant-like way. You think of a savant musician as someone who can almost effortlessly reach a high level of technique and understanding. Whereas I'm a very creative musician who comes up with musical ideas easily, but I'm actually a bit of a slow learner when it comes to the techniques I need.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 1:06 pm

I have an uncanny ability for remembering details that I've read or learned. I don't do it on purpose but my brain remembers random facts and details. It's not all facts, but weird obscure ones that other people would probably overlook or forget. Maybe it's because of my synaesthesia. The facts all have different colours and 3D spatial locations in my mind. I even know where I was and what I was thinking, picturing, wearing, and feeling at many learning moments in my life (e.g. - learning how to spell almost every individual word, learning the meaning of almost all individual words, learning specific rote calculations or grammar rules in early childhood).

Beyond that I also have a crazy strong temporal memory. I can recall what I did on just about every calendar date of the year throughout my life, or with every temperature and type of weather. I remember pretty much everyone's birthday since I was born, and telephone numbers too. Everything has it's own colour and shape.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 1:25 pm

^ Your're sounding like superwoman. My memory is not bad. But what your are describing sounds like what Mary Lou Henner has, Its rare, and if you have it .That's an amazing ability. In fact that would be incredible.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 1:29 pm

theprisoner wrote:
^ Your're sounding like superwoman. My memory is not bad. But what your are describing sounds like what Mary Lou Henner has, Its rare, and if you have it .That's an amazing ability. In fact that would be incredible.

Yeah, it's great but useless.

I still deal with this in the practical world:

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 11:54 pm

Engineering, like my avatar suggests. I have been able to solve problems that seem intractable. I have developed ideas that were patentable but don't have my name on any patents.

I have mixed feelings about the word "savant". It is usually used for some amazing skill that can be readily demonstrated. The more common skill is a special interest that you adopt because your mind works well in that field. Like Temple Grandin's design skills. Physics skill is common since most people with an NT mind are clueless in physics. "Special ability" is the best I can come up with to describe this type of skill. Einstein had a special ability to do thought experiments to unlock the secrets of the universe. I think this is more accurate than the "genius" label he usually gets.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2021, 2:15 am

When I was learning maths in college I used to be able to solve quadratic equations by just looking at the problem. The teacher didn't like this, he wanted the "working out".

I've had ECT since and I can't do it anymore.

I have an autistic friend who can play classical piano. She just makes it up right there and it always sounds good.