Invisalign / aligners. Sensory issues

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Seaghost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2021, 9:45 pm

Hello.

(New here. Btw I noticed my gender displays as male but I am nonbinary, didn’t see that as an option)

I’m on my second day of a projected 8 month treatment of candid clear aligners to straighten my teeth. I am having incredible issues wearing them in my mouth as I can’t stand the feel of having plastic covering my teeth and the outline of the plastic that my tongue can feel. Fortunately, I’m not having any issues with the aligners being too sharp and cutting my mouth and not having any pain involving the pressure against my teeth but simply having a difficult time with just the feeling of wearing the aligners. I have considered wearing them only at night which wouldn’t bother me so much but it’s meant to be worn 22 hours a day minimum and I don’t know how I’m going to do this for an entire 8 months. I have sensory issues surrounding my teeth (needing to immediately brush after eating because I can’t stand my teeth feeling “dirty”) as well as the reason I am wearing aligners in the first place -that my tongue is always feeling the places in my teeth that are misaligned and overlapped. Oddly, the feeling of my misaligned teeth without the aligners is preferable to the feeling of actually wearing the aligners, but I still would like to straighten my teeth.

Has anyone here been able to complete treatment with aligners? I don’t see how I can adjust to the feeling of it in my mouth; I feel paralyzed when I’m wearing them.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2021, 5:04 pm

I have experience with old fashioned metal bands on the teeth, plus wires that poked the gums with sharp ends. You still feel like something weird is in your mouth, your tongue keeps feeling for the irregularities, etc., but in addition they hurt like hell plus make you look like something from the dark lagoon.

Why don't you try those for a couple months. Then the clear aligners will feel so damn good.