Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2021, 11:39 pm

What makes a real man or woman?

Character.

It's everything. It saves lives. It brings out the good in people.

It's looking in the mirror and recognizing that you're a work in progress. It's accepting what you did yesterday and facing tomorrow. Sometimes, it's putting your needs aside, and being a bigger, better person.

It's acknowledging all people, regardless of what they look like.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2021, 6:47 am

Morals
Ethics
Hearts
Minds
Physical appearance
Psychology
Brain development
Skills
Knowledge
Love
Facts
Reality
Ect.

Make a...something?

A man?...I’m not sure but I’m sure others do?

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2021, 11:33 pm

True.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 5:06 am

Define "real"

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 7:36 am

Well, sex is defined by your genitals and there are more than two answers here.

Gender is defined by how you define yourself. And there are also more than two answers here.

Then what are the biological and social contributions here?

Perhaps trying to define your existence on the odd terms "Manhood" and "Womenhood," we can simply work on being the best version of ourselves.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2021, 8:28 am

DesertWoman wrote:
What makes a real man or woman?

Character.

It's everything. It saves lives. It brings out the good in people.

It's looking in the mirror and recognizing that you're a work in progress. It's accepting what you did yesterday and facing tomorrow. Sometimes, it's putting your needs aside, and being a bigger, better person.

It's acknowledging all people, regardless of what they look like.

a Real Person ?

Being True to Yourself and Others .
Speaking Up on issues because you feel it is the only option .

Showing Respect to Others and Approaching Others with Dignity . Even when they Show Otherwise . Looking to Resolve in a manner that will Improve The Other Person instead of Personal Attacks or Abusive Manner

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:32 am

Priorities

Effort

Efficiency

Outcome

Gender identity

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:34 am

What makes a man a man and a woman a woman?

Behaviorally, cosmetically, emotionally, genetically, intellectually, intuitively, legally, physically, sexually, or spiritually?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 07 May 2021, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:38 am

Fnord wrote:
What make a man a man and a woman a woman?

Behaviorally, cosmetically, emotionally, genetically, intellectually, intuitively, legally, physically, sexually, or spiritually?

Grammatically?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:41 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What makes a man a man and a woman a woman?  Behaviorally, cosmetically, emotionally, genetically, intellectually, intuitively, legally, physically, sexually, or spiritually?
Grammatically?
<* grunts *>

Me want coffee.  Where my keys?  Me drive car.  Go work.  Get paid.  Come home.  Eat supper.  Make booma-booma with mate.  Roll over.  Go sleep.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:51 am

:D

It was my wife that taught me to clean my hands before eating the wooly mammoth...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 9:06 am

Clean?  What mean this "clean"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 9:14 am

Enough fun (for now)...

Cis-Male/Cis-Female is defined by the configuration of the 23rd chromosome.  If at least one "Y" chromosome is present, the person is "Male"; if none, then "Female"

HOWEVER...

It is possible for a genetic male to be born with female reproductive features, and vice-versa; it is also possible for a person to be born with both male AND female reproductive features (or virtually no reproductive features at all), all of which makes "Assigned at Birth" somewhat problematic.

Then there is the factor of "Male Brain in a Female Body" (or vice-versa).

ALSO...

"Man" and "Woman" vs. "Boy" and "Girl" imply levels of maturity, including the aforementioned aspects of behavioral, cosmetic, emotional, genetic, intellectual, intuitive, legal, physical, sexual, and spiritual maturity.

In other words: "It is complicated".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 2:21 pm

I don't know, it's all a little too artistic for me to understand. There seems to be at least 2 concepts in the original post - gender and "maturity," whatever that is. I'm very simplistic about gender - there are males and females mostly, plus a few who don't quite fit so neatly into the binary thing - and I sense it's got little to do with what the OP was trying to say.

As for maturity, it's so loaded with value judgements that I tend to avoid using the word. People act in various ways, I like some of those actions, I dislike others. Some of those actions are associated with age to some extent. If somebody starts doing something I approve of and it's associated with them getting older, I might fall into the trap of calling them mature, a real man or a real woman, but I prefer to be more objective, to own my part in the equation and just say I like what they did.

I suppose I like to see myself as progressing somewhere, gradually learning more, acquiring more skills that help me to get more of the stuff I think I want. And I hate it when it seems to be going backwards. And it annoys me to think that old age might bring feeblemindedness with it, and certainly the body will get more feeble. All that improvement in strength and ability, then one day you've peaked and you're on the way back down to annihilation.

I don't put my needs aside very often, at least not consciously. I just enjoy being helpful for its own sake, I suppose it gives me a good feeling about myself. But I don't think I'd willingly make many sacrifices or ignore my own needs much just for the sake of others. When it has turned out that way it's usually been a case of circumstances having trapped me into the situation, and I tend to wish it hadn't gone like that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 11:29 pm

I'd rather be young and have fun. I also don't believe in gender roles or stereotypes. I identify as male and I wish to be treated as such.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 11:38 pm

I guess that transgender people are screwed, either way.